Reaction score
By Drew Davison
ddavison@star-telegram.com

FRISCO — Coaching decisions are under even more of a microscope in the playoffs and it’s easy to second-guess questionable decisions.

Green Bay coach Mike McCarthy is a Super Bowl-winning coach with more wins (9) than losses (7) on his lengthy postseason resume. But even he doesn’t get the benefit of the doubt sometimes.

McCarthy made a questionable decision by going for a first down on fourth-and-1 from his own 42 in the Packers’ wild-card victory over the New York Giants last Sunday. Green Bay wasw leading 14-6 lead with 6:08 left in the third quarter.

That decision backfired when Ty Montgomery was stopped for a 1-yard loss. The Giants scores two plays later. But the call became a footnote since Green Bay won the game.

Dallas Cowboys coach Jason Garrett understands the feeling after his clock management was questioned in his second career postseason game two years ago at Green Bay in the divisional round.

Nearing the end of the first half, the Cowboys had a 14-7 lead and were driving in Packers territory. Garrett burned a timeout after Tony Romo and Jason Witten connected for a 6-yard completion to set up a third-and-1 from the Green Bay 27 with 40 seconds left.

On third down, Romo tried to hit Terrance Williams deep, but the past fell incomplete. That brought on the field goal unit for what should have been a 45-yard attempt. A false start penalty by long snapper L.P. Ladouceur made it a 50-yard attempt and Dan Bailey’s kick was blocked.

So Green Bay took over on its own 40 with 29 seconds left. The Packers gained 38 yards and made a field goal at the end of the half to make it a 14-10 game when it easily could have been 17-7 in the Cowboys’ favor.

Garrett has kept an aggressive approach, however, notably throughout this 13-3 season, and intends to keep a similar mindset this time around in the playoffs. He has a 1-1 career record in the postseason.

“You always want to have an attacking style,” Garrett said. “You always want to be aggressive. You try to instill that in your team. As a coaching staff, what you try to do is demonstrate that to your team with the stuff that you’re doing on offense, defense and in the kicking game and certainly the calls you make in the ball game.

“I don’t think you want to do anything outlandish in any way. You want to play the game to win, but we always try to do that.”

Read more here: Jason Garrett’s decisions under more scrutiny in playoffs | The Star-Telegram

Reaction score
Garrett said:
“You always want to have an attacking style,” Garrett said. “You always want to be aggressive. You try to instill that in your team. As a coaching staff, what you try to do is demonstrate that to your team with the stuff that you’re doing on offense, defense and in the kicking game and certainly the calls you make in the ball game.

Really? Then why did you coach like a fucking pussy for six fucking years?

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Really? Then why did you coach like a fucking pussy for six fucking years?
He thinks being really stupid and throwing deep on 3rd & 1 and 4th & 2 like they did in that GB game back 2 years ago fits his "aggressive" meter.

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
Those are great downs and distances to take shots down field. Especially when you have a great running game and teams stack the box in those situations.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
He thinks being really stupid and throwing deep on 3rd & 1 and 4th & 2 like they did in that GB game back 2 years ago fits his "aggressive" meter.

You keep saying stupid shit like this, but Garrett doesn't have an X Box controller pushing buttons to tell the QB where to throw to.

Romo made a pre snap read and took a chance, like Sheik said when you can run and know the other team is expecting it, takings some shots is smart, not stupid.

And the play worked, Dez caught the fucking ball. It should have been a TD.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Unless Rodgers just wears out the defense, there is really only gonna be one place to pin a loss.

Reaction score
It was a low percentage play. And even if it was ruled a catch, he was down at about the 3 yard line, not a TD.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Those are great downs and distances to take shots down field. Especially when you have a great running game and teams stack the box in those situations.
But, they don't stack the box when you go 5 wide and your feared RB is standing on the sidelines....
like Sheik said when you can run and know the other team is expecting it, takings some shots is smart, not stupid.
Especially with your league-leading running back standing there on the sidelines, next to coach.

Fucking idiots. I'm all for throwing deep on short yardage downs, after play-action. For you dumbfucks - play-action is when you first fake a handoff to your feared RB, before you then throw the ball instead. But for this to even have a chance of working you first HAVE TO HAVE YOUR FEARED RUNNING BACK IN THE GAME, LINED UP IN THE BACKFIELD. Not standing on the sideline, watching. You fucking Ginger apologists.
It was a low percentage play. And even if it was ruled a catch, he was down at about the 3 yard line, not a TD.
DING! And actually he was ruled down correctly, just inside the 1 yard line.

And really, did you "Dez caught it" morons WANT to score a TD there, with over 5 minutes left or really did you want to get the fucking first down, run some more plays, eat more clock, THEN fucking score the TD?

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Romo made a pre snap read and took a chance,
Yeah, a really stupid chance when it's all or nothing and you have Beasley wide open for the first down. Stupidity of five-wide on 4th &2, compounded by more stupidity. We NEEDED the first down there, yo.

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
I'll be interested to read the comments during the game if Garrett and Co. come out ultra conservative and take no shots. Cuz we only need first downs and stuff, yo.

I'm all for giving Garrett and this team shit, and outside of in the moment second guessing, I don't get where there was anything wrong with the call in Green Bay two years ago on 4th and 2.

I'd rather watch a team go out and dictate the pace, or in other words, play to win. I don't think there is anything wrong with going out swinging.

If Murray runs into Doug Free's taint and falls down for a loss, I'm pretty positive the same mush heads would be screaming bloody murder over the conservative approach.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
But remember that time Garrett onside-kicked against a 3 win Redskins team with a 21 point lead in the fourth quarter?

That was super ballsy.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
And really, did you "Dez caught it" morons WANT to score a TD there, with over 5 minutes left or really did you want to get the fucking first down, run some more plays, eat more clock, THEN fucking score the TD?

You get all the yards when you can and score as quick as you can when you are LOSING. So maybe they run the ball or Romo checks down to a short throw for the FD, what happens if they don't get any further and they have a bad snap, or Bailey hits the upright or kick is blocked. Or Murray fumbles again. Or they get a holding penalty on 1st and 10 and it knocks them out of FG range.

In an ideal world, yeah you'd like to score the GW points with like 2 seconds left or something. But that "plan" isn't a sure thing, too many things are still left to chance.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I'll be interested to read the comments during the game if Garrett and Co. come out ultra conservative and take no shots. Cuz we only need first downs and stuff, yo.
False and dishonest premise, since no one has advocated for taking NO shots.
and outside of in the moment second guessing, I don't get where there was anything wrong with the call in Green Bay two years ago on 4th and 2.
Murray standing on the sidelines, no threat to the defense. Beasley wide open for at least 5 yards... The fact that it was FOURTH down and not 3rd... 5 minutes left in the GAME instead of just in the 1st half... Love how you move the goalposts when you were reminded we were in 5 wide, on 4th and fucking 2. When you were all about the opponent "loading the box" what a laugh.

There's times to take these low percentage deep shots and that was NOT it and it was NOT the way to do it if you did.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
You get all the yards when you can and score as quick as you can when you are LOSING. So maybe they run the ball or Romo checks down to a short throw for the FD, what happens if they don't get any further and they have a bad snap, or Bailey hits the upright or kick is blocked. Or Murray fumbles again. Or they get a holding penalty on 1st and 10 and it knocks them out of FG range.
None of those are the result of stupidity on the 4th down play. I am not surprised you can't tell the difference.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
So let's leave it to chance that we can complete a 50-50 jump ball, as our all or nothing play.

And they did complete it.

Just out of curiosity asshat, was Dez Bryant the ONLY receiver who ran out on that play? Did ALL the other receivers run 20+ yards downfield?

If the answer is no (and it is) then you see why your argument is so lame.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
And they did complete it.
They did not. Dez did not secure the catch all the way through the process, as per the rules.
Just out of curiosity asshat, was Dez Bryant the ONLY receiver who ran out on that play? Did ALL the other receivers run 20+ yards downfield?

If the answer is no (and it is) then you see why your argument is so lame.
Moron, you just said the long pass was due to a pre-snap read by Romo, and that is what I am calling stupid. 5 wide was stupid on Ginger's part, throwing a low percentage bomb to dez was stupid on Romo's part. As I said before, stupidity compounded by more stupidity. You're not even reading the replies.

You really believe it was the right play call, and the right choice of where to go with the ball?

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
You really believe it was the right play call, and the right choice of where to go with the ball?

1st, Dez caught the ball. The ref with the best view of it called it complete on the field. The Packers CB said he firmly believed it was a catch. The GB fans thought it was a catch.

In response to above, Romo decided where to throw the ball. I don't know why (other than his explanation) he chose to go there. Did he look anywhere else first? Was anyone else wide open? Ultimately the QB decides where to throw the ball, and if he didn't like it he could have changed it at the LOS (which he has the option to do and has done over and over and over in his time as a starter) or he could have called TO. The coaches didn't force him to throw the ball there.

I'm not saying there are no such thing as stupid play calls, there obviously are. But IMO that wasn't one.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Was anyone else wide open?
Yes, you know Beasley was. And you know Romo never took his eyes off dez. It's on tape and stuff.
1st, Dez caught the ball. The ref with the best view of it called it complete on the field.
I went back to the play-by-play game summary to double check. The pass was incomplete and the ball went over on downs to GB while they had a 6 point lead with 5 minutes left, and we never got the ball back. I mean, really - I double checked this.

I think the field judge made the right call, you think he did too, the fans might think so, GB's defender might have thought so, but officially we're all wrong. The idiot pass was incomplete. The league office verified it later, as well.
The coaches didn't force him to throw the ball there.
Nobody said they did. The meter is, 5 wide on 4th and 2 is stupid. And it simply, is. Your league leading rusher everyone's scared of, standing on the sidelines and not even a threat.

I'll give you a little bonus though which I am sure will make you like the call a lot better - Dunbar was in there, lined up in the slot!

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
Okay, who says Beasley catches that pass? Who says he doesn't catch that ball, then fumble like he had been doing throughout that year?

You're second guessing a play that worked in a lot of people's opinion. Single coverage, Dez and his jump ball ability, you take that in a do or die situation.

Top Bottom