bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
1479679399-CowboysRavens_AL049.JPG

Sportsradio The Ticket host Bob Sturm grades the Dallas Cowboys after their win over the Baltimore Ravens on Sunday:

OFFENSE

B+

This was one of the more trying offensive days of the season. And that, in a nutshell, explains what an unbelievable season it has been for this side of the ball. Yes, they went for four punts to start the game with an amazingly underwhelming start. But then, with the momentum ball rolling after overcoming a first-and-30 hole, they rolled off scores in their last five drives - all ranging between 59 and 88 yards. They had another 400 yards offensive day, another 300-yard passing day, and dominated the clock and the second half. Astounding.

DEFENSE

B-

The Ravens took the ball right down the field for an impressive 90-yard drive in the first quarter and attempted to attack the Cowboys' banged-up secondary. But, from there, Rod Marinelli made some well-conceived midgame adjustments to take away the ground game that ran for just 43 yards for the final three quarters. Once they pushed the Ravens into a one-dimensional offense, it was a series of underneath throws to Steve Smith and just empty-calorie yardage most the rest of the way. Zero takeaways and just one sack, but overall, they were protected by their offense and did their job by holding Baltimore to just two significant drives all day.

COACHING

A -

Plenty of credit goes to the coaching staff for the more global view of this season. For instance, without some conviction from the coaching staff, it is reasonably likely that the quarterback situation would be headed in a different direction. But, they are still on the same track since mid-September and clearly realize the rarity of nine consecutive wins. Scott Linehan and Rod Marinelli are the best coordinator combination since the Jimmy Johnson years and we should enjoy it because this has been a well-coached team all year.

OVERALL

A

Periodically, there is critique for the consistently high grades awarded here each week, but there is simply no other way to evaluate a team that sits at 9-1. There are no trophies distributed this time of year, but there are plenty of pitfalls that hit teams. But this crew - led by two rookies - seems focused and on point each week. The league is too close to expect no poor performances, yet this Cowboys team remains able to wear opponents out in a three-hour slugfest. This wasn't pretty the entire day, but by the end, they took down another division leader by double digits. Sweeping through the AFC North is no small task.

JBond

UDFA
Reaction score
More than anything else, I love when my son calls me or texts me from college with "Did you see that?". What a fun ride this year has been.

Kudos to the coaches. I was puzzled by the play selection the first half. 7 or 8 carries for Zeke vs 21 pass attempts. Good adjustments in the second half.

Reaction score
I was puzzled by the play selection the first half. 7 or 8 carries for Zeke vs 21 pass attempts. Good adjustments in the second half.

I got the feeling that Garrett wanted to start with his pass offense for three reasons: 1. To pre-empt what the Ravens would be expecting from Dallas with Zeke (which in Garrett's fantasy land is a threat or a matchup problem and will push the defenders out of the box). 2. It's still 0-0 and if they are going to take chances, the beginning of the game is the best time in probability for minimize loss/maximize gain. 3. Still trying to keep that tired and antiquated group of Coryell pass routes relevant and integrated in the game. The only part of the offense that has his fingerprints on it.

The "adjustment" was more about common sense. The Ravens were killing Dak and were more than able to manage Garrett's ridiculous route tree and still throw the house at Dak. I'm sure Ray Lewis called the sideline and said "Remember how easy it was to cover and rush that offense when I played. Hasn't changed."

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I got the feeling that Garrett wanted to start with his pass offense for three reasons: 1. To pre-empt what the Ravens would be expecting from Dallas with Zeke (which in Garrett's fantasy land is a threat or a matchup problem and will push the defenders out of the box).

Always out thinking himself.

2. It's still 0-0 and if they are going to take chances, the beginning of the game is the best time in probability for minimize loss/maximize gain.

Better to have him meddle early in the game, than in the middle or later, to where it can be disastrous.

The "adjustment" was more about common sense. The Ravens were killing Dak and were more than able to manage Garrett's ridiculous route tree and still throw the house at Dak. I'm sure Ray Lewis called the sideline and said "Remember how easy it was to cover and rush that offense when I played. Hasn't changed."

Let's call it what it is: Linehan bailed his ass out AGAIN. That damn empty set is going to get Dak hurt, like it did Romo last season against the Eagles. It's a wasted play. It rarely works.

Last edited:

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Would someone please explain to me what exactly the fuck advantage does Ginger think Dumbar gives us? Especially when it means they're sitting Zeke? And why is this so-called great coaching staff so uncreative - don't they have anything that puts Dumbar AND Zeke on the field at the same time?

Zeke is a true three down back. You don't need Dumbar and he gives you nothing Zeke doesn't do better.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Would someone please explain to me what exactly the fuck advantage does Ginger think Dumbar gives us? Especially when it means they're sitting Zeke? And why is this so-called great coaching staff so uncreative - don't they have anything that puts Dumbar AND Zeke on the field at the same time?

Zeke is a true three down back. You don't need Dumbar and he gives you nothing Zeke doesn't do better.

We are in agreement. Have no clue what they see in this guy right now.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score

Sizzle baby, you gotta have that sizzle!

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
We are in agreement. Have no clue what they see in this guy right now.

He should be used like the Pats do James White and Dion Lewis. Throw it to him in the flats and let him jitterbug. A combo of both him and Cole Beasley working the short portion of the field could really open up this offense.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
He should be used like the Pats do James White and Dion Lewis. Throw it to him in the flats and let him jitterbug. A combo of both him and Cole Beasley working the short portion of the field could really open up this offense.

He was obviously pretty good at that before last years injury when he still had some explosiveness, but he looks pretty average to me right now.

Zeke is the far better receiving threat. Removing Elliott for Dunbar is giving opposing defenses a huge break.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score

Or better yet, why not use those plays for Lucky Whitehead?

cml750

Facepalm
Reaction score
Props to Linehan and Marinelli. We win in spite of Garrett do to the job done by the two coordinators. Linehan may be stuck with Garrett's crappy scheme but he is MUCH better at calling it. Marinelli continues to make chicken salad out of chicken shit.

Reaction score
Sturm is losing it. That defensive performance was a D-. The only reason it wasn't a F is because the offense bailed them out for the win.

Edit: Oops. This was about the Ravens game. I broke out my Jump To Conclusions Matt, and thought Sturm was grading the Skins game.

Sturm ain't losing it, I am.

Last edited:

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
You can literally see teams let out a sigh of relief when we take Elliott out for a play or two.
It drove me nuts yesterday when we had Dimbar in there and not Zeke, and all he did was block? Zeke is a FAR superior blocker. Really dumb. Like we're determined to get Dak hurt too.

Have we not the fucking imagination that if you feel you MUST use Dimbar, still have Zeke in there if only as a scare tactic?

English Cowboy

In the Rotation
Reaction score
You can literally see teams let out a sigh of relief when we take Elliott out for a play or two.
It's a tough balancing act. You hate to take Zeke out because he's so good, but you also don't want to abuse him like the Oilers did with Earl Campbell back in the day. When you spend the 4th overall pick on a player surely you want him to see a second contract. No?

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
It's a tough balancing act. You hate to take Zeke out because he's so good, but you also don't want to abuse him like the Oilers did with Earl Campbell back in the day. When you spend the 4th overall pick on a player surely you want him to see a second contract. No?

If you're gonna sit him, make it productive. Make it useful. You're removing a much feared threat and replacing it with Dumbar? Makes no since. You don't have to have Zeke taking punishment every time he's in there. But the defense has to commit to him anyway.

NoMoRedJ

UDFA
Reaction score
It drove me nuts yesterday when we had Dimbar in there and not Zeke, and all he did was block? Zeke is a FAR superior blocker. Really dumb. Like we're determined to get Dak hurt too.

Have we not the fucking imagination that if you feel you MUST use Dimbar, still have Zeke in there if only as a scare tactic?

With Garrett? Imagination? You Are Kidding Right?

Reaction score
From Todd Archer's Fix the Cracks in the defense blog on ESPN Dallas:

Yet, for a coach who talks about the process, Jason Garrett was more focused on the result.

“If you force a team to throw it 53 times in the game, typically you are going to have success,” Garrett said. “We played from ahead a lot of this game. We were up by two scores. They were going to throw the ball. We were going to force them to earn it. Unfortunately, on the one play to DeSean Jackson, that wasn’t the plan obviously. We were going a good job up to that point of forcing them to throw underneath, rally and tackle, rally and tackle. And you’re bleeding the clock when you’re ahead like that. They were going to have those kinds of drives. Minus the one big play that they made, I thought we played the right way.”

If you want to count a 67-yard play as the “one big play,” and ignore the six other pass plays of 20 or more yards, cool, but Jamison Crowder had a 38-yard catch, Jordan Reed had a 33-yarder, Pierre Garcon had a 27-yarder, Jackson added a 26-yarder and Vernon Davis had catches of 26 and 22 yards.

Some of these guys in the Dallas media are finally catching on to the Garrett nonsense. JJT, Archer, Dennis, and Mark Friedman have all become annoyed and sarcastic with Garrett's constant dumb!

In this case, he just admitted that when Romo was throwing the ball 648 times, that the defense was controlling his team. And "one big play"? Ah...no!

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Lol. That was exactly my first thought when I read that, too, about all those games we passed it 50+ times and lost.

Top Bottom