cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
1(32) - Justin Evans S 6-0/200 Texas A&M
5651658487470.image.jpg

Comes in and starts at strong safety. Along with Byron Jones, he solidifies the Cowboys safety play for the next several years.

Quotes - "This kid jumps off the tape. He's a better player than (2016 first-round pick) Karl Joseph. He's a ferocious hitter and he can cover a lot of ground. He will be a top-20 pick this spring," the executive told Daniel Jeremiah.

2(64) - Daeshon Hall DE 6-5/270 Texas A&M
460x1240.jpg

Cowboys run right back to the Aggie well; Hall will compete for the anchor spot allowing Demarcus Lawrence to permanently move to right end.

Quotes – “Hall has many attributes that NFL scouts drool over. He has the prototypical NFL pass rusher size and provides great length. He displays a combination of height and arm length that give him an advantage in a one-on-one situation.” – Riley Rogers, The Draftser

3(96) - Chidobe Awuzie CB 5-11/190 Colorado
7422423.jpg

Awuzie is a Marinelli-type corner with great tackling and blitzing skills to go with great coverage skills. Should compete with last year’s draft pick Anthony Brown for the 3rd corner job.

Quotes – “Awuzie can read and break on the ball extremely well, and it will be important to see him when matched up against some of the top passing offenses littering the Pac-12.” – Steve Palazzolo, Pro Football Focus

4(128) - Jalen Reeves-Maybin LB 6-0/230 Tennessee
USATSI_8858675_1470333778888_4476072_ver1.0.jpg

What is a Cowboys draft without an injury gamble? Reeves-Maybin fits the new safety-linebacker hybrid position, similar to Arizona’s Deone Bucannon and LA Rams Mark Barron.

Quotes – “Reeves-Maybin's athleticism and instincts allow the Volunteers to slide him outside to nickel cornerback on occasion. His prior experience at safety shows with his comfort with his back to the ball. He's also a savvy blitzer, showing good timing, burst and active hands to defeat blocks.” – Rob Rang, CBS Sports

5(160) traded to Buffalo

6(192) - Devon Allen WR 5-11/185 Oregon
Devon-Allen-39-WSU14GB1.jpg

Speed kills and Allen has plenty of it. He finished 5th in the 110-meter hurdles in the recent Olympics. He tore an ACL in 2016, and has a career in track to consider, but definitely well worth the risk in the late 6th round.

Quotes - "I think he has some toughness to go along with that speed and agility, to be at least a valuable kick returner or a third receiving option. I don't believe he's only a track guy who can't handle physicality, and he should only get stronger in an NFL club's strength and conditioning program." – Chad Reuter, NFL.com

7a(203) from Buffalo - Deatrich Wise Jr. DE 6-5/271 Arkansas
deatrichwisejrsmall.jpg

Another value pick, Wise is too good to pass up here. Lack of explosiveness causes him to fall in the draft but he could be in the mix for a back-up spot as one of Marinelli’s Rushmen.

Quotes – “Wise is successful because of his length and long arms. He’s able to keep blockers off his frame and quickly disengage. That arm length also helps him get his hands on the quarterback or football. His non-stop motor is another thing that helps his production. Wise doesn’t quit on the play and will routinely be seen chasing the ball several yards down the field.” – Jon Dove, Fansided

7b(224) - Andreas Knappe T 6-8/319 Connecticut
13310397_1031228186966386_549264863914981034_n.jpg

Knappe is the definition of a project player. Nick-named Thor, he didn’t start playing football until he was 18. He has time to develop behind the talented Cowboys offensive line.

Quotes - "Smart, conscientious, intelligent, obviously a large-bodied guy to do a job. Those were my initial impressions. Listen, he was mature when I met him. He inspects and takes accountability. He hasn't had to re-invent himself too much. He's the right kind of guy.” – Bob Diaco, UConn Head Coach
Draft order from: 2017 First-round Selection Order - Great Blue North Draft Report
Draft Board: NFL Draft - 2017 NFL Draft Prospects - CBSSports.com - NFLDraftScout.com

Last edited:

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
I applaud any defense-heavy draft. if we somehow get rid of Romo's salary next year, the defense can be even better via sound free agency signings.

SixisBetter

Anywhere on the line.
Reaction score
I like it.
Also, thanks for the synopsis with each pick.I know who most of these guys are, but not exactly why would we draft them.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I applaud any defense-heavy draft. if we somehow get rid of Romo's salary next year, the defense can be even better via sound free agency signings.

because you asked for it, bonus free agency and off-season....

Cowboys trade Tony Romo QB to the Broncos for Chris Harris CB, Cody Latimer WR, and a 2018 conditional (1st, 2nd, or 3rd) pick.

Cowboys Free agents
Morris Claiborne, CB - resigned, 4-year deal
Terrell McClain, DT - resigns, 3-year deal
Brice Butler, WR - resigned, 1-year deal
Mark Sanchez, QB - resigned, 1-year deal

Ron Leary, G - gets big deal elsewhere
Terrance Williams, WR - gets big deal elsewhere
Barry Church - signs elsewhere
JJ Wilcox, signs elsewhere
Darren McFadden, RB - signs elsewhere
Lance Dunbar, RB - signs elsewhere
Kellen Moore, QB - signs elsewhere (like Canada)
Gavin Escobar, TE - signs elsewhere
Jack Crawford, DL - signs elsewhere
Justin Durant, LB - retires
Andrew Gachkar,LB - signs elsewhere
Rolando McClain, LB - time to say goodbye

Unrestricted Free agents signed
Demarcus Ware, DE, Denver Broncos - 3-year deal
William Gholston, DE, Tampa Bay Buccaneers - 5-year deal
Marquess Wilson, WR, Chicago Bears - 4-year deal

icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score
if d ware comes back i would hope he get #94 back

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
fuck no. this asshole is always hurt. time to move on.

Agreed. They found Anthony Brown in the 5th round. Surely they could find an upgrade to him in the 2nd and 3rd round this year and not miss a beat with Claiborne gone.

Of course we shall see the performance of the secondary these few weeks that Claiborne is out to get even more of a sampling of Brown and how life would be without Mo.

Mr.Po

Reaction score
Substitue someone else for the 5th rounder because Allen is pursuing a career in track field and hanging up his football cleats.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
First one of these I've done for 2017 draft:

Your score is: 8287 (GRADE: B-)

Your Picks:
Round 1 Pick 32: Charles Harris, DE, Missouri (B+)
Round 2 Pick 32: Tre'Davious White, CB, LSU (A)
Round 3 Pick 32: Daeshon Hall, DE, Texas A&M (A)
Round 4 Pick 31: Marquez White, CB, Florida State (A)
Round 6 Pick 31: Jehu Chesson, WR, Michigan (A+)
Round 7 Pick 16: D.J. Jones, DT, Ole Miss (B)
Round 7 Pick 32: Tyus Bowser, OLB, Houston (C+)

Top Bottom