bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
1478470068-COWBOYSBROWNS_AL069_53886322.JPG

By Bob Sturm, Special contributor

OFFENSE -- A

You can only play the team that is on your schedule, so deducting a grade on the Cowboys offense because they were playing a defense that appeared rather clueless would be unfair. The Cowboys whipped the Browns with the ball repeatedly all day long. Dak Prescott followed up his least impressive start since the opener with what might have been his most impressive. He never looked puzzled where to go with the football and on a day where Dez Bryant looked off, Jason Witten turned back the clock for a game that saw him open all day. Good work getting Ezekiel Elliott off with the game in hand, protecting your most important asset.

DEFENSE -- A

It is nearly impossible to hold an offense under 225 yards in today's NFL (something a Dallas defense has done just two other times in the last five seasons), but Sunday was just 222 yards for the Browns and an absurd 1 of 9 on third downs. Just three times in the last 5 years have the Cowboys held their opponent to just one third down conversion and the pressure was solid all day as the team found four sacks which ties their season high (Bengals). The Browns were in the top 10 in big plays this season, but after a huge play on their second snap, had only one other 20-yard play all day.

COACHING -- A

Sometimes it is not always easy to see where your coaching performance is at, but then you see a team that is prepared to play both emotionally and tactically. When you see that many open receivers, that is not because the Browns cannot figure out where to line up (well, actually, they clearly did not know how to line up several times), but rather you are scheming them open with a great run/pass balance and putting the defensive players in conflicts where they can never guess right. They had a chance to come out flat and certainly did not.

OVERALL -- A+

It certainly helps to play the Bears, 49ers, and Browns in your first eight games, but they have also beaten some solid teams and somehow sit at 7-1 at the halfway mark. They are receiving amazing rookie performances from a quarterback and at running back that will likely be remembered for ages. The defense has still not given up 24 points in a game and they are pummeling teams that are not on their level. I wouldn't change a thing right now (and I trust everyone knows what that means).

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
It really looked and felt like a classic workmanlike butt-whipping from the 1993 season. Opponent comes out and gets a FG, then it's us with Emmitt Emmitt Emmitt, pass to Novacek, Emmitt Emmitt Emmitt then a pass to Harper, them moar Emmitt Emmitt Emmitt then oops a TD pass to Novacek, and the rout is on.

Was good to see replacements in the 4th quarter, wonder how long it's been since we've done that voluntarily because the score is so lop-sided in our favor?

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Any chance Zeke breaks the team record for rushing TD's?

Reaction score
Emmitt has 25. He set the record on 12/25/1995 vs the Arizona Cardinals.

#cowboyshistorian

This Bud's 4U

Drew Pearson cheated!ᵀᴹ
Reaction score
They beat the effin' Browns, for the love of Mike!

Nice to see 'em get back to Beasley, after skunking my team last week, tho.

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
i thought he broke it against the giants on a monday or sunday night game.

Reaction score
Any chance Zeke breaks the team record for rushing TD's?

At this point it isn't likely he catches Emmitt's team (and former NFL) record of 25 rushing TDs in one season at the current pace, however he can certainly break Murray's team record for rushing yards in a season.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Man, who cares about individual records? Murray's didn't help us win anything in 2014. In fact if he'd been more rested, who knows, maybe he doesn't fumble against Green Bay.

Also, the Browns are pure shit. My god they were horrible. But like I said before, I'm not sure how badly they want to win this year anyway. They know this is a multi-year project and they want those high draft picks.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Man, who cares about individual records? Murray's didn't help us win anything in 2014. In fact if he'd been more rested, who knows, maybe he doesn't fumble against Green Bay.

So why'd he fumble so much early in the season that year? Him being "tired" had ZERO to do with fumbling that ball in GB.

Also, the Browns are pure shit. My god they were horrible. But like I said before, I'm not sure how badly they want to win this year anyway. They know this is a multi-year project and they want those high draft picks.

They are, but we beat them worse than anyone else did this year.

And you mentioned this tanking thing before, but there are no transcendent talents in next years draft, especially at the QB position. They also had high draft picks this year and fucked around getting cute and ended up with a bunch of jags. If "tanking" is their plan, its a fucking stupid plan, especially this early in the season.

Reaction score

The Browns started the game playing hard. As soon as that FG doinked off the upright you could literally see the entire Browns team give a collective sigh. They checked out after that and accepted their fate. I kinda felt sorry for them.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
A win is a win in the NFL, especially a road win. It was against a team that I expect end up with two wins at most but I wont bitch about it. I think the thing that impressed me the most was the fact that it was a logical place for a let down and it did not happen so this team is hungry and not full of themselves yet.

VTA

UDFA
Reaction score
never mind. it was arizona.

I think it was the game Buddy tried to leave early and the refs made him come back out.
The guys in the booth were having a time making a big deal out of it.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score

Zeke sure doesn't seem to care. Everything he's said says winning is the most important thing. I was just curious. Not many of Emmitt's records will be broken. The 25 rushing TD's is an attainable one though so I was just curious.

As for Murray's fumble, it had absolutely nothing to do with his number of carries. Based on his production this year in Tennessee his number of carries in 2014 has had little if no effect on him at all.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Geez guys. The fumble was just a hypothetical example. The real point was that it's dumb to get your players beat up and exhausted in meaningless situations like we did in 2014.

But for the record, you don't know that his workload had zero or nothing to do with his performance that game.

And sure his production is fine this year. He had an entire year of near-rest to recover last year.

Reaction score
I was glad to see Zeke get rest during the 4th quarter yesterday.

As TE is suggesting, the absolute last thing the Cowboys need is for Zeke to get hurt or to hit the rookie wall before the team's postseason ends.

It is fun to watch records fall, but not at the expense of jeopardizing post season success.

And Dak, wow. A QB rating of 141.8.

Top Bottom