bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
fuck no. I wouldn't thank him if he pulled me from a raging river.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
I will. He's taken his fingerprints off the offense; don't know necessarily by choice, and isn't coaching retroactively.

He's even limiting his boneheaded game day decisions, minus that challenge a few weeks ago near the goalline.

Reaction score
I give him credit for not handicapping our offense and not coaching like the giant pussy he is.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
If the season ended today, sounds like from the press he'd get major consideration for Coach of the Year.

What if he gets Coach of the Year and Jerry gets Exec of the Yr?

LOL

Reaction score
3rd and 5 from Dallas's 6 yard line. An interception is 6 points. Your running back and QB run for more than 5 ypc.

Along with historical play action plays on 3rd and 30 from Dallas 10 yard line, that is classic Garrett to try to throw from your own 6. Linehan gets credit for the TDs, the use of Beasley, Witten,and Using Zeke for power, pass,and possession.

Garrett gets credit for the pass play from 3rd and 6. It has to be Garrett. We have seen it too many times and it's just that stupid.

junk

UDFA
Reaction score
I'm not sure if it was forced upon him or not, but he's finally brought in experienced people and is letting them do their job. He just isn't a good offensive mind and I've said, for years, that he should have brought in someone to guide him in that area. Unfortunately, he shit away some good years of some great players because he wouldn't do that (how much would that Dan Reeves mentoring have helped?)

However, I'm beginning to think Romo may not warrant some blame in all of this. He obviously carries clout with Jerry and I wonder if he, and his buddy Garrett, stuck with shit offense because they both liked it. With Romo out, and Jerry's comments about the inability to win with a backup, I wonder if they just threw that script out the window when Romo was hurt and realized they had to modify the offense. Gave the reins fully to Linehan.

Nothing else makes sense. It was a middling offense for years that showed little to no creativity.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
how much would that Dan Reeves mentoring have helped?

I'd love to have been a fly on the wall when they ran Reeves off. That pissed me off and struck me as some of jeri's shady bullshit.

I cant prove this but I always felt jeri didn't want Reeves around because he's one of those old school, alpha males with a set of nuts that would stand up to jeris nonsense, so obviously jeri wasnt having any of that shit and found a way to run him off.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I'd love to have been a fly on the wall when they ran Reeves off. That pissed me off and struck me as some of jeri's shady bullshit.

I cant prove this but I always felt jeri didn't want Reeves around because he's one of those old school, alpha males with a set of nuts that would stand up to jeris nonsense, so obviously jeri wasnt having any of that shit and found a way to run him off.

IIRC Jerry wanted Reeves to punch a time card, a ruse to run him off. Basically Jerry didnt want anybody around who didnt mind telling him his shit stunk.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
3rd and 5 from Dallas's 6 yard line. An interception is 6 points. Your running back and QB run for more than 5 ypc.

Along with historical play action plays on 3rd and 30 from Dallas 10 yard line, that is classic Garrett to try to throw from your own 6. Linehan gets credit for the TDs, the use of Beasley, Witten,and Using Zeke for power, pass,and possession.

Garrett gets credit for the pass play from 3rd and 6. It has to be Garrett. We have seen it too many times and it's just that stupid.

I know you hate Garrett dude, but Linehan isn't sharing the play calling. He's calling all the plays.

As it should be.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
IIRC Jerry wanted Reeves to punch a time card, a ruse to run him off. Basically Jerry didnt want anybody around who didnt mind telling him his shit stunk.

I think Garrett is the one who didn't want Reeves around, or maybe Jerry didn't want him "interfering" with his pet project Red.

Remember Jerry is the one who was going to hire Norv but when Nov heard Jerry insist Garrett run the offense, he said eff that and Jerry went to Wade.

JBond

UDFA
Reaction score

The Reeves/Parcels (old school coaches) type guys did amazing things and Parcels helped in some ways to improve the organization. I'm leaning towards Bob's view's. I'll agree with anyone that agrees that Tony isn't starting a game this season, barring injury to Dak.

Last edited:

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
Only a fuckin dummy would think Garrett figured it out in the offseason and is now a good football coach.

Yeah, I'm sure. 5 or 6 years or whatever it's been, just a shitty coach, then in the 2015 offseason he's applying sunscreen with a texture hopper and it dawns on him.

Boom! All of a sudden he's albino lombardi.

STFU about this.

Reaction score
I know you hate Garrett dude, but Linehan isn't sharing the play calling. He's calling all the plays.

As it should be.

I'm not just being contentious here because I'm not a fan of Garrett having influence on the team.

I'm willing to listen to you here and put to rest my theory, but....

How do you explain the contrast? That there are just very successful strings of plays and even if they aren't entirely successful, you can see what Linehan was doing.

But then once or twice a game there's a very familiar regression to those Garrett plays. Now Linehan is still Coryell so if he is philosophically bound to the same thinking as Garrett, Turner, Cam Cameron, Hue Jackson, Bratkowski, etc then maybe if all the variables on the defense are in place, then Linehan would call those plays just like those other OCs would. I'm not talking about casual play calling mistakes, it's the difference between what a Garrett in the 2010-2013 years would call and what a Parcells or a coach with conventional wisdom would call.

But there are two things that make me think that Jason still gets involved and may push those buttons (and explain the stark contrast between Dallas moving the ball with methodical plays and random pass plays that put the ball and QB at risk):

First is the Linehan interview that he spoke about the importance of ball control and clock control under crucial conditions. He was matter of fact that logically you run the clock and don't put the ball at risk.

Second, also during that interview, Linehan said that everything goes through Garrett, and from years past, Jerry has said that Jason can change the plays (as Parcells did too). There are signature Garrett plays that defy logic (leading 7-3 and being 3rd and 5 for their own six and trying to pass with very little play deception instead of using the strength of your offense for a very manageable 5 yards) and seem to lack football intelligence. Linehan has been the opposite of that.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I'm not just being contentious here because I'm not a fan of Garrett having influence on the team.

I'm willing to listen to you here and put to rest my theory, but....

How do you explain the contrast? That there are just very successful strings of plays and even if they aren't entirely successful, you can see what Linehan was doing.

But then once or twice a game there's a very familiar regression to those Garrett plays. Now Linehan is still Coryell so if he is philosophically bound to the same thinking as Garrett, Turner, Cam Cameron, Hue Jackson, Bratkowski, etc then maybe if all the variables on the defense are in place, then Linehan would call those plays just like those other OCs would. I'm not talking about casual play calling mistakes, it's the difference between what a Garrett in the 2010-2013 years would call and what a Parcells or a coach with conventional wisdom would call.

But there are two things that make me think that Jason still gets involved and may push those buttons (and explain the stark contrast between Dallas moving the ball with methodical plays and random pass plays that put the ball and QB at risk):

First is the Linehan interview that he spoke about the importance of ball control and clock control under crucial conditions. He was matter of fact that logically you run the clock and don't put the ball at risk.

Second, also during that interview, Linehan said that everything goes through Garrett, and from years past, Jerry has said that Jason can change the plays (as Parcells did too). There are signature Garrett plays that defy logic (leading 7-3 and being 3rd and 5 for their own six and trying to pass with very little play deception instead of using the strength of your offense for a very manageable 5 yards) and seem to lack football intelligence. Linehan has been the opposite of that.

I think its that Linehan calls what he thinks will work. I think they should try to run a little more than they have inside the 10, but everybody in the leagues knows this too, so if they are trusting Prescott more and more then it does make some sense that he would try to throw it in with some of our other skill guys when teams are loading up to stop the run.

Dak said a lot of the calls are RPO's, so he may be making those adjustments down in the redzone just like the rest of the field.

Reaction score
The fact that Dak hasn't been a flaming pile of dogshit is evidence enough that Garrett has had little to no say in his coaching. I wouldn't be surprised if Dak and Elliott have both never even spoke to the ginger other than draft night.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
If the season ended today, sounds like from the press he'd get major consideration for Coach of the Year.

What if he gets Coach of the Year and Jerry gets Exec of the Yr?

LOL

Him and Del Rio.

Funny just 2 weeks ago, Zimmer was in the conversation. Probably not anymore.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
The fact that Dak hasn't been a flaming pile of dogshit is evidence enough that Garrett has had little to no say in his coaching. I wouldn't be surprised if Dak and Elliott have both never even spoke to the ginger other than draft night.

:lol

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
NFL.com said:
The Cowboys entered Week 9 as the only team in the NFL that had run more than passed, almost unheard of in today's pro football.

That by no means is Garrett's doing. Even in 2014 with Murray, we still didn't run the ball more than we passed it.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
That by no means is Garrett's doing. Even in 2014 with Murray, we still didn't run the ball more than we passed it.

Actually we did, though it was essentially 50/50. 476 pass attempts+ 30 sacks (506 passing plays) vs 508 rush attempts.

This year its 261 pass plays vs 278 rush attempts.

Top Bottom