Reaction score
Decoding Linehan - How The Elliott TD Run Was Built Over Weeks and Weeks

BOB STURM

This is the type of post I absolutely love creating. I will be honest, as a writer, you want to be in the print edition of the Dallas Morning News. The blog does not get tossed onto everyone's porch in the morning and although I realize times are changing, there is some intrigue to being a piece of the print world.

But, it is days like today where you see this could never be in a newspaper. This type of post is all about the pictures, not the words. Sure, I will provide some commentary here, but you need to see the videos to fully appreciate why the Cowboys out-schemed the Bengals on Sunday. They used tactics to increase any sort of physical advantage and they did so by putting a lot of tape out there for the league to consume. This is the "7-days to Sunday" beauty of football. All week, teams study every detail and every frame of film to figure out what is going to happen at 3:25 on Sunday.

The Bengals did their homework and the Cowboys used it against them. That is why you can have great faith in Scott Linehan and his offense. They are now winning before the game even starts with the way this offense is being coordinated. The players have to carry out the plan, but make no mistake - the plan is beautiful.

Let's start with those 2 early touchdowns.

The first is just your basic zone read give to Ezekiel Elliott.

ZekeTD%2BZR.gif

You should watch that play once for each player on the offense. They are all doing a great job. It is a zone read, so look at Witten on Elliott's side. He will not block 96-Carlos Dunlap by design. He will actually run a pass route (remember that). Dunlap will be unblocked and Dak will read him at the mesh point. If Dunlap takes the RB, the QB keeps. If he takes the QB, he gives to Zeke. Then Zeke follows the OL that dominates again. Look at Martin, Frederick, and Leary. I would say both guards get A+ for their work here. This is so good. They both get their guy at the line and get the LB behind him. Again, on most plays, Elliott must thank his lucky stars which team drafted him.

OK. This is the next drive in nearly the same spot. The formation is flipped, but Witten is still on Elliott's side.

DAKTD%2BZR.gif

Did you see that? Witten left 96-Dunlap again for a route to draw a safety with him. Dunlap reads the RB and crashes down on Zeke. Dak keeps and literally scores untouched.

Too easy, right? Block the front side, but the backside DE in a bind. And then he cannot be right. He can't get both. In fact, on these two plays, he can hardly make up his mind. And make no mistake Carlos Dunlap is a great player. He finished 4th in sacks in the NFL last year.

Now, let's move on to something else that I think was pretty awesome from Sunday. The QB Waggle play-action play that they have been using all year. Since Dak was in diapers, this has been a play they have shown every week - often the very first play he runs.

It is my theory that this was one of the best ways to get Prescott comfortable under center. He was almost all shotgun in college, but they want to do more under-center in the NFL where you can unleash a much more potent play-action game. But, to do so, you have to install some things that make his reads easy and his feet comfortable. That is why one of the first ideas was this play-action play that almost always goes right, but we have seen him go to the left a few times, too.

Let's show you:

Rams%2Bwaggle.gif

Rams preseason - August 13.

Dak1%2BSwaim.gif

Dolphins game the next week in preseason - August 19.

NYG%2Bwaggle.gif

Week 1 against the Giants.

They keep running it over and over again. Well, Mr Dunlap had enough on Sunday. He watched his film and he was about to end this nonsense the next time the Cowboys tried it:

Dunlap%2BWaggle.gif

He tries to end Prescott on this one. He was not falling for no banana in the tailpipe.

So, Mr Linehan, what next?

Well, not only am I lucky enough to be your blogger, but I also get to talk with Jason Witten each Monday on the radio. I think these few minutes are worth your time:

https://soundcloud.com/user-407154954/witten-on-waggle

He started by talking about those "dirty runs" out of this 12-personnel set against the Giants. I believe one of those is here:

Dirty%2BRun2.gif

Look at all the traffic. Too many bodies. Swaim can't clear a hole.

So, the next idea is to use the TE's in 12 personnel to create a diversion. Link the passing threat to the running game. Then, almost like the zone read, you can make the defense choose their poison. And then you make them wrong.

Zeke%2Bwaggle%2BTD.gif

So, now, here - once again as a "drive starter" is the play-action QB waggle. Except they don't pass it. They run off the pass look. Watch everyone sit on the tight ends. Witten even talks about drawing 2 players out to the flat. Now look at Zeke's path. Right where they were supposed to be.

End zone view proves it even more:

Zeke%2Bwaggle%2BTD%2Bb.gif

That is so beautiful it almost brings a tear to your eyes. And you are not going to catch Zeke from behind. Look at that nitro.

Bravo to Scott Linehan and his boys. This is a masterpiece of setting things up weeks in advance. We also talked about the set up of a Prescott keeper on the zone read. We also have been waiting for the deep shot off play-action. I assume Green Bay should prepare because that is likely sitting in the bin, too.

WEEK 5 DATA

1476193329-Week5OffDataBox.jpg

I just can't get over how good their "average yards to go" on 2nd and 3rd down are this year. Many people continue to wonder what Prescott would be like on 3rd and long and we almost never get to see it because this Cowboys offense is constantly "ahead of the chains" and that means 3rd and long is almost never happening. It is 3rd and 3 most of the time.

Truly remarkable stuff.

DAK PRESCOTT THROW CHART

1476193450-DakChart.jpg

Efficient and accurate. He stays out of trouble and he makes proper decisions. I really am impressed at how this has worked without Dez Bryant. Also, lots of yards after the catch this week as they are hitting receivers in stride and then they rack up yardage on their own.

PERSONNEL GROUPINGS

1476193630-Week5Personnel.jpg

Early in the season, they were having trouble with 12 personnel, and now with a couple ideas thrown in, it has turned into a really productive grouping.

Meanwhile, 11 personnel has 3 different sub-categories. 11 personnel under center, 11-personell in shotgun, and 11 personnel in shotgun with an empty backfield. Add them all up and it got 31 snaps for 274 yards. That is almost 9 yards per snap!

This is with your rookie, backup QB. Which is why I go back to the question of Romo over Dak. What exactly could you improve by changing QBs right now? I realize Tony Romo is a far more accomplished QB and has had a career Prescott could only hope to attain, but seriously, what could this offense do better than they are doing right now without Dez Bryant by changing QBs? This is a serious case of something not being broken.

SUMMARY AND CONCLUSIONS

The greatest hope at the bye week was likely 4-2. Now, they can go for 5-1. This offense is dynamic and devastating and they knocked out the Bengals within an hour on Sunday. Green Bay will be another new challenge, but either way, they have already put themselves in a position where now you could start to see the math become favorable for post-season play. Absolutely remarkable start to the season from this offense.

http://sportsday.dallasnews.com/dallas-cowboys/cowboys/2016/10/11/decoding-linehan-elliott-td-run-built-weeks-weeks

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
This is with your rookie, backup QB. Which is why I go back to the question of Romo over Dak. What exactly could you improve by changing QBs right now? I realize Tony Romo is a far more accomplished QB and has had a career Prescott could only hope to attain, but seriously, what could this offense do better than they are doing right now without Dez Bryant by changing QBs? This is a serious case of something not being broken.

These questions are getting louder by the day.

They can punt the main play reviewed here if Tony comes back. Is Dunlap or any other defense gonna fear a Romo possible run?

I doubt it

Its still hard for me to believe what I'm seeing and part of me is waiting for everything to go to shit but hopefully that's just nonsense from years of disappointment.

Even more impressive considering Dez wasn't even out there the last two games (& Scandrick).

Reaction score
I don't want Romo to be done here, but the writing is on the wall. Even if he comes back fully healthy and is total Jedi Romo, he's not starting next season. The only point would be if Romo balled out, and maybe got on a deep playoff run. Otherwise, you're stunting Dak's development by going back to Romo.

What I hate is the fan base is going to shit on Romo... boo him if he plays, give him shit for not getting to the Super Bowl or winning one, etc. He's basically saved this franchise from being 4-12 for 10 straight seasons, and he'll never get the respect he deserves for that.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
He's basically saved this franchise from being 4-12 for 10 straight seasons, and he'll never get the respect he deserves for that.
Yep I for one really appreciate the consistent 8-8 stuff. Not his fault of course, his W-L record is 80-53 as a starter. Without him carrying the team it woulda been 4-12 or worse, all those years. But Tony's done quite well for himself, 50 million dollars-plus well.

He still has some good years left in him as a backup. Time passes, windows close - and most of the time those windows close before you want them to. That's what's happened here.
you're stunting Dak's development by going back to Romo.
I'm more worried about team chemistry than I am Dak's ego, or his development getting stunted. I think that kid will be just fine if he has to take the bench again for awhile - dunno if the team will be, however. It's really really hard to catch lightning in a bottle, then even that much harder to get it back after you've dumped it. Team chemistry can be quite delicate and when you've got it, should nurture it and encourage it, not destroy it.

If Dak performs well vs. Green Bay and especially if he leads us to a win at Lambeau, the debate should be completely OVER about who should be playing quarterback for the Dallas Cowboys.

Reaction score

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Romo runs his own system.

just spit-balling here but is there a chance "Romos system" is too complex for our receivers who seem to exhibit poor intelligence on a consistent basis whereas the system being run with Dak is simpler and easier for them to follow?

Iamtdg

Reaction score
just spit-balling here but is there a chance "Romos system" is too complex for our receivers who seem to exhibit poor intelligence on a consistent basis whereas the system being run with Dak is simpler and easier for them to follow?

Romo's system is Linehan's system. He is just given the freedom to change plays at the line. The plays themselves are the same.

Reaction score
Romo's system is Linehan's system. He is just given the freedom to change plays at the line. The plays themselves are the same.

Romos system is Jason's system and Romo has been running this same system before Linehan got here. Both Callahan and Linehan have stated that they can tweak things but it's Jason's system. But the game planning and philosophies are also Jason's for situational personnel groupings. For instance, a turnover that occurs between the 40s will almost immediately garner a deep pass attempt. Linehan's offense that he ran in Detroit, Miami, St Louis and Minnesota looks a lot like what Dak is running now. But Romo, as was evidenced last year, runs more of a vanilla vertical offense that he directs at the line. The personnel groupings give him the tools and he makes changes based on his defensive reads. The playbook has not changed for Romo, however after 2012 Romo requested that he be allowed more input into the offense "like Manning". Hence Linehan saying that he only gives Romo suggestions.

Top Bottom