MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Apparently NY Media is looking for QB options for the Jets and Romo could be at the top of their list. They are in a win now mode and if healthy Romo would be a huge upgrade. Not sure what they would be willing to give up but it won't be cheap. Think Jerry would actually be willing to do it?

Dallas Morning News (@dallasnews)
10/6/16, 12:45 AM
Tony Romo as the Jets starter? New York is already starting the chatter d-news.co/gzB5304TO13

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Nope. Romo is Jerry's boy.

Plus we need to see Dak beat some better teams and defenses before we proclaim him better than Romo.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
What are the cap implications?

Romo would have to agree to rework his deal for the trade to work. At least that's what the article says. Not sure how it would affect this year's cap or if the Cowboys would have to rework some contracts to make it work.

Reaction score
No way this happens.

Hell even after as well as Dak has played, Jerry is hell bent on playing Romo as soon as possible.

Besides, I seriously doubt Romo could pass a physical with his back being held together by twine.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
First off, it would be like an $11 million cap hit if the Cowboys traded Romo, so a bunch of players would need to restructure since we currently have about $5 million.

Second, the Jets have even less cap room than us, just over $1M and would need about $8M for Romo.

So, imagining both teams can make the #'s work and ignoring Jerry's career inability to receive fair value in trade compensation, plus I doubt the Jets would trade any players from their strength, the D line, so it would have to be draft picks.

I'm not completely drinking the Dak Kool-Aid (like many of you are) so it would need to be a serious package of picks for me to take on the risk of putting all of our eggs in Dak's basket this soon.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
First off, it would be like an $11 million cap hit if the Cowboys traded Romo, so a bunch of players would need to restructure since we currently have about $5 million.

Second, the Jets have even less cap room than us, just over $1M and would need about $8M for Romo.

So, imagining both teams can make the #'s work and ignoring Jerry's career inability to receive fair value in trade compensation, plus I doubt the Jets would trade any players from their strength, the D line, so it would have to be draft picks.

I'm not completely drinking the Dak Kool-Aid (like many of you are) so it would need to be a serious package of picks for me to take on the risk of putting all of our eggs in Dak's basket this soon.

Romo would have to agree to rework his contract too in order for the Jets to take on his contract. They have the defense and the weapons to be a legit contender in the AFC. All they're missing is a QB. According to the article I read they also know that it would cost them to get Romo but since they are in "win now" mode even at a high price Romo would be worth it. So if they are really that desperate a 1st and a 3rd wouldn't be out of the question. Even if the 3rd is in 2018 I'd consider it. That would put them ahead of the curve in rebuilding their defense.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
What are the cap implications?

Dak costs 2.9 million through the end of 2019

Romo costs 90 million through the end of 2019 and would still have a 3.2 million in dead money

I dont see how they can afford to keep him past 2017 so if someone offered a 1st and a 3rd and the cap hit could be massaged, it would allow them to free up cap space and take advatange Daks rookie contract for up to 3 more years (giving room to keep linemen and hopefully spend on defense)

Dak may not be the future but neither is Romo and I'd put my money on Dak going forward even if it meant losing whatever is left of Romo and having to put up with growing pains with Dak

Last edited:

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
He's better than a hurt Romo. Haven't seen anyone yet proclaim him better than a healthy Romo.
Oh, people may not have proclaimed it in so many words, but lots of people seem to think it.

yim said:
Dak may not be the future but neither is Romo and I'd put my money on Dak going forward if even it meant losing whatever is left of Romo and having to put up with growing pains with Dak
What if Dak looks average the next few weeks? Ready to have anyone different even if he isn't better than Tony?

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
No way this happens.

Hell even after as well as Dak has played, Jerry is hell bent on playing Romo as soon as possible.

Agreed, he didn't want to sit Bledsoe which allowed Romo to take off

but there is no Parcells here to show him the light, so he'll cling on to Romo far past when he should and get nothing in return and like it

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I'm not completely drinking the Dak Kool-Aid (like many of you are)

Have to admit, I am, what are your issues with Dak?

I dont have a clue how to evaluate talent but his poise and calm are apparent to even my clueless eyes and that seems like a pretty great trait in a QB

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Have to admit, I am, what are your issues with Dak?

I dont have a clue how to evaluate talent but his poise and calm are apparent to even my clueless eyes and that seems like a pretty great trait in a QB

Super excited about Dak. I just think the idea that he is better than Romo now is crazy pants.

Dak has beaten the Bears, 49ers, and Redskins, who are a combined 4-9. I think we need to step back and enjoy his progress. Too many people think we are Super Bowl bound and Dak is the league MVP.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Too many people think we are Super Bowl bound and Dak is the league MVP.
Where are you seeing this kind of stuff?

And yes, this thread has my brain working on a parody song, "Romo to the Jets" based on Elton John's "Bennie and the Jets" song!

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Oh, people may not have proclaimed it in so many words, but lots of people seem to think it.

What if Dak looks average the next few weeks? Ready to have anyone different even if he isn't better than Tony?

With the defense being as bad as it is (nowhere near championship caliber) I don't think this team will be good enough to go deep in the playoffs, even with a healthy Romo. By the time this defense is ready Romo will be ready to retire. I would rather get the extra picks to speed up the process of building the defense to where it needs to be. Then take our chances with an average Dak (if that's what he becomes) and a top notch defense and running game than an old Romo and shitty defense.

Top Bottom