Reaction score
By David Moore , Staff Writer Contact David Moore on Twitter: @DavidMooreDMN

FRISCO -- Indications are the Cowboys will shake up their defensive line and make a change at middle linebacker for Sunday's game against Chicago.

Defensive coordinator Rod Marinelli said veteran Justin Durant has "got a good chance" to move past starter Anthony Hitchens at linebacker. He said he likes the combination he had in the front four to finish the win over Washington -- Tyrone Crawford and Jack Crawford at the two end spots with Terrell McClain and rookie Maliek Collins at the tackles -- and believes they deserve another look.

"I think yeah, we're going to keep looking at them," Marinelli said. "I'm just looking to keep mixing and matching until I find the right combo."

Durant came up with two big plays in the final 2:38 against Washington to secure the team's first victory, combining with Sean Lee to stop running back Chris Thompson for no gain on third and 1, then coming back on fourth down to knock down a pass intended for receiver Pierre Garcon.

Tyrone Crawford, who has struggled at tackle early in the season, was moved to left defensive end in the second half and came up with a key sack with 1:25 left. Marinelli conceded he has gotten most of his practice time at end this week.

It sounds like Jack Crawford, who had been starting at left end, will move ahead of Benson Mayowa at right defensive end.

"He is solid, and Benson can come in and give us some juice where we take him out of some of the heavy pounding," Marinelli said. "You get Jack over there, and it's another big man on base. Then we just roll them after that."

McClain, who is off to a strong start, remains the starter at one defensive tackle spot. Collins, who is tied for the team lead in quarterback pressures with three, is poised to take over the other tackle position.

"Explosive pad level," Marinelli said of Collins. "He's got quickness, suddenness, tough."

Marinelli did say he'll "keep looking around as the week goes on." But expect some changes in the starting lineup against the Bears.

"You're on an interview every week," Marinelli said. "Unpack everything except your toothbrush.

"I like these guys. I've said that from the beginning. They really work at it."

Briefly

-- CB Orlando Scandrick (hamstrings) did not practice again Thursday.

-- DE Jack Crawford (shoulder), T Doug Free (quadriceps), LB Mark Nzeocha (Achilles) were limited.

-- HC Jason Garrett is also limited with a weak heart and no backbone.

-- The Cowboys signed C Shane McDermott (Miami) to their practice squad to replace injured practice squad center Jake Brendel (UCLA).

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
At least Marinelli isn't afraid to put pressure on guys and make changes.

I always liked Collins' talent, though, and thought Crawford was overrated. Interesting that Rod is basically admitting that our prized free agent DE might be too small, too.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Interesting that Rod is basically admitting that our prized free agent DE might be too small, too.

Wonder if its true that Marinelli was the guy who pushed for him in the offseason (as was reported by some). Doesn't really seem like it now.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Sucking will do that. I expect sucking on defense to start showing up big time shortly.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Wonder if its true that Marinelli was the guy who pushed for him in the offseason (as was reported by some). Doesn't really seem like it now.

I don't know what to believe, except I know I don't believe very much of what comes out of the Cowboys media.

Like that rumor people have repeated that Marinelli has told the braintrust he doesn't need great players... I don't believe that for a second. Rod knows as well as anyone that you have to have top players to really be good. He's had to work with crap because that's what he's been handed to him by this offense-loving front office and head coach.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
21833507644a5e18b7066745280b294c.gif

NoMoRedJ

UDFA
Reaction score
How many years are we along in the Process? Has the defense shown any real improvement throughout the great build?

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
How many teams has Benson Mayowa been on now? If he was worth half a shit he wouldnt have bounced around this much. One sack and shoved all over the field the rest of the time. I bet it isnt long before he gets hurt or is inactive. Probably when Lawrence gets back.

Reaction score
Yeah, it takes years and years to build a dynasty.

Who wants a flash in the pan Super Bowl win? Not us. Garrett is building a team that will win Super Bowls. Yes, plural.

#hostileliterallysaidthat

Reaction score
I think Durant is just more of a playmaker than Hitchens (except maybe on the goal line), faster, more turnovers and better instincts (Lions playoff game PI-scare). And as far as the D-line goes, they have to go heavy just to stop the run. In the offseason I saw an interview with Scandrick that talked about blitzes being the QB pressure.

Plus the Crawford Crunch defensive end tandem has a Jason motto for t-shirts written all over it.

Marinelli played a 3 DL look agains the the Pats which had some value early in the game. I think the 3 DL wore down but it showed Marinellis creating chicken salad from what he has been given.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
I think Durant is just more of a playmaker than Hitchens (except maybe on the goal line), faster, more turnovers and better instincts (Lions playoff game PI-scare). And as far as the D-line goes, they have to go heavy just to stop the run. In the offseason I saw an interview with Scandrick that talked about blitzes being the QB pressure.

Plus the Crawford Crunch defensive end tandem has a Jason motto for t-shirts written all over it.

Marinelli played a 3 DL look agains the the Pats which had some value early in the game. I think the 3 DL wore down but it showed Marinellis creating chicken salad from what he has been given.

Wouldn't be surprised if Benson has been terrible against the rush which necessitated the switch to Crawford at RDE.

Top Bottom