Reaction score
Does the multiple rookie QB's having success this year mean we should temper our enthusiasm with Dak?

Brisket or whatever playing well when he's put in.

Carson Wentz is playing well and 2-0.

Dak looks and sounds like the man of the future, but is there some odd phenomenom with this year that is allowing for these young QB's to have more success than normal?

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
but is there some odd phenomenom with this year that is allowing for these young QB's to have more success than normal?

You mean like with Jared Goff, Paxton Lynch and Christian Hackenberg?

Reaction score
You mean like with Jared Goff, Paxton Lynch and Christian Hackenberg?

Have any of those guys played?

Because the ones that have - Wentz, Prescott, and Briskett or whatever the fuck - all have had decent success compared to past years rookie QBs.

Is it an anomaly or is there something real to it?

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score

Because the ones that have - Wentz, Prescott, and Briskett or whatever the fuck - all have had decent success compared to past years rookie QBs.

Briskett didn't really do much to win the game other than the naked bootleg run he had for a TD. The rest was Pats defense and turnovers by Texans.

But to answer your question, those guys played in preseason and two of them were so bad they were dumped all the way to 3rd string.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
I think if the Cowboys were running a bunch of gimmick plays and winning with that then we would definitely need to temper our enthusiasm.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
is there some odd phenomenom with this year that is allowing for these young QB's to have more success than normal?

With "Brisket", that odd phenom is named Bill Belichik

Dak may not work out but he sure seems to have a lot of obvious qualities that give him a great chance of success, lets just hope he can overcome his coaching and owner

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
There's definitely some phenomenon going on where it's easier for rookie QBs to play earlier than in years past.

Maybe it's less practice time for defenses, maybe it's pro offenses not being afraid to implement some "college" concepts (read option etc.), but it's something.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Maybe it's less practice time for defenses, maybe it's pro offenses not being afraid to implement some "college" concepts (read option etc.), but it's something.

I think its some of that along with the way the game is played and rules that are applied now. Its far easier to pass the football now than any time in ever before.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Of course. He has a long way to go in the red zone.

He hasn't been the only problem in the redzone. There's definitely blame to share with others there.

I don't think the offensive play designs down there have been overly helpful either. They seem to run the same two or three plays over and over and over down there.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score

Cody Kessler is getting the start this weekend in Cleveland. So we shall see if it's an anomaly or not.

But then again, he'll be without the services of Josh Gordon and now Corey Coleman so I don't know.

SixisBetter

Anywhere on the line.
Reaction score
The problem in the red zone has more to do with Red than any player.

The stupid son of a bitch has relied on the game plan "Romo will pull something out of his ass" and gotten by with it.
Like DBair said and has been noted many other times as well, the plays in the red zone are repetitive.
I like Dak's potential, I think he'll do as well as he can under the conditions.Too bad he's going to be handcuffed by the Garrett/Linehan "It's gotta work sooner or later" play calling.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
For those who haven't heard Brissett is out for a while. Tore a tendon or something in his thumb.

Reaction score
Does the multiple rookie QB's having success this year mean we should temper our enthusiasm with Dak?

Brisket or whatever playing well when he's put in.

Carson Wentz is playing well and 2-0.

Dak looks and sounds like the man of the future, but is there some odd phenomenom with this year that is allowing for these young QB's to have more success than normal?

I remain guardedly optimistic about Dak. He's done far better than I was expecting, and I am a "show me" type critic. Of course, he could have that rookie type game where he throws three picks. That could happen at any time, but Dak has shown enough to me that he clearly is the future for this team at QB so I'm not going to panic when he does have a bad game this season unless it wrecks his confidence.

As far as rookies playing well this year at QB, who knows? Maybe the stars have aligned a certain way. It is good for the league over the next decade with several rookie QBs set to become long term stars.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
For those who haven't heard Brissett is out for a while. Tore a tendon or something in his thumb.

Maybe we'll get to see Belichik win with Edelman at QB, that would be hilarious if he pulled it off, especially after all the cheating BS

Mr.Po

Reaction score
I am still tapping my brakes on the Prescott train but I am going to enjoy the ride for as long as it lasts. It's only a small sampling but it's refreshing to think something positive may finally be happening with this stagnant franchise.

Reaction score
Maybe I'm reaching for reasons to doubt Dak because I realize how lucky we were landing Romo and I just remember how it was with the Stoerners, Hutchinsons, Leafs, Carters, Wrights etc post Aikman and honestly I expect the same when Romo leaves.

Plus with how incompetent Wade and Garrett have been squeezing any level of ability out of any of the non-Romo QB's we've had over the years, I don't trust they can develop a QB.

Reaction score
In a recent interview Dak was asked how he has improved his accuracy. He said that he's concentrating on his footwork and feeling more comfortable with the offense. It's working. He's accurate more consistently now than he was back in college.

His pass protection has been quite good. That's a big factor in his success.

Having a smart center in Fredrick helps.

As others have mentioned, defenses have been stacked against the run and Linehan has done a good job of playing to Prescott's strengths (e.g., ability to throw on the run),

Highly experienced and competent QBs such as Romo impact games with their pre-snap reads and adjustments. As an inexperienced pro QB, Dak can't do that to the same extent. But I do think that coaching in general has gotten much better over the years, in college and in the pros. The rookie QBs are more sophisticated than they used to be in part because college schemes have become more complex and college coaching has improved.

It could be that the main problem with the Stoerners, Hutchinsons, Leafs, Carters, Wrights, etc. had more to do with the limitations of the players (and not the coaches). I guess it is possible that Steven McGee could have been a Pro Bowler with the right coaching, but maybe he just didn't have what it took.

It may be difficult to wrap one's head around it, but the Cowboys coaching staff must be doing something right with Prescott.

A couple of other things -

Prescott's supporting cast was much better in 2014 than it was in 2015, so it isn't surprising that Prescott looked better in 2014 (particularly before he got hurt running the ball in 2014). Some of the draftniks who weighed in on Prescott's pro potential focused on his 2015 and underestimated him.

The ill-timed DUI arrest before the draft was a red herring, but understandably didn't help his draft status any.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Maybe we'll get to see Belichik win with Edelman at QB, that would be hilarious if he pulled it off, especially after all the cheating BS

I wouldn't put it past him. Did you see what Irvin said on NFL Network during the Monday night game? About renaming the Lombardi trophy the Belichik Trophy. He was kidding (I think) but Bill really is arguably the best coach of all time. Luckily for them they one have to figure out the QB position for 1 more game.

Top Bottom