dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Former NFL linebacker Bart Scott, now an analyst for NFL on CBS, recently joined the The DA Show on CBS Sports Radio to talk all things football, including the Dallas Cowboys. Here are some of the highlights:
On the Cowboys' quarterback situation:

Scott: "I mean, this could be the Drew Bledsoe-Tom Brady passing of the guard, because Dak Prescott brings a different element to the game that Tony Romo can't -- his body can't. He can't be reckless with his body like that. Hey man, Dak has no scar tissue. He's got live legs, he has a live arm and he has confidence, and he has the support of his team. His teammates know that he can play. And everybody wants to discredit what he did during the preseason, but I can remember them doing that to another young, athletic quarterback that was drafted after the second round in Russell Wilson, and he just continued to improve and improve, and with that offensive line, it's gonna afford him the extra second that young quarterbacks need to process and go through the route tree and find outlets and make smart decisions with the ball, and also he has two running backs. Alfred Morris, I think, is one of the best pickups in the offseason."

Does he think the Cowboys are better with Prescott?

Scott: "Yep."

If he thinks Romo gets his starting job back when he returns from injury:

Scott: "They'll give him his job back because Jerry Jones has invested a lot in Tony Romo. They're gonna give him his job back and see if he can still maintain the level of play. But if the team dips and loses some games, you know, they might say, 'Tony, you know, your back's still hurting. He had a setback.' They might shut him down that way."

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
This is all so out of hand.

Troy said it the other day -- there's zero fear or even concern that Tony is out, and that's crazy considering this team can barely win a game without him the last several years.

Reaction score
Romo was out almost all of last season and will be gone for the first half of this one. At some point, fear and concern gives way to a sense that the team has to go on without him.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
If we're something like 6-0 or 5-1 and Dak's been good, there's no rational reason to rush Tony back. There's really no rational reason for that no matter the record.

At some point his own long term mobility and health has GOT to override all other concerns. He's a sitting target, can't run anymore, he is going to get hurt again. Stick a fork in him already and just move on.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
f we're something like 6-0 or 5-1 and Dak's been good, there's no rational reason to rush Tony back. There's really no rational reason for that no matter the record.

where there's a jeri, there's a way

Reaction score
Hilarious. They could barely win a game last season without Romo and now people are saying 5-1 or 6-0 is within the realm of possibilities?

Did I miss that Garrett died overnight or something? Yall be cray.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
This is all so out of hand.

Troy said it the other day -- there's zero fear or even concern that Tony is out, and that's crazy considering this team can barely win a game without him the last several years.

Yeah I saw that. I really think it isn't because the fans are over confident in what Prescott might do, but that they are tired of the constant injuries with Romo. That and the fact is he's been the QB here for a long time and he hasn't come remotely close to winning a championship. We can all bitch and moan about the reasons why, but the fact is he hasn't been overly successful in terms of postseason W's.

I think some people saw what Prescott could do in preseason and see a young, fairly talented, healthy, QB who completely engulfs himself in the game and they think "maybe this is the next guy" That certainly couldn't be said about any other QB that's been here since Romo took over.

Reaction score

Uh. Like two posts up from mine for starters. And then all over every other site imaginable. Trent Dumbass Dilfer already anointed Dak the new Christ.

When Dilfer has a hot take about anything, you know shit has gone way too far. Dilfer might be an even worse commentator than QB.

Reaction score
Yeah I saw that. I really think it isn't because the fans are over confident in what Prescott might do, but that they are tired of the constant injuries with Romo. That and the fact is he's been the QB here for a long time and he hasn't come remotely close to winning a championship. We can all bitch and moan about the reasons why, but the fact is he hasn't been overly successful in terms of postseason W's.

There are two types of fans.

1) Complete dumbasses (see quoted text above)

2) Non-dumbasses who are able to see that the only limitation to Romo's success here has been Garrett. That's not even disputable at this point. The orange assclown has been fucking up playcalls and other relevant coaching requirements since 2007. Romo was healthy for the majority of that time.

Garrett is the king of accumulating wins against bad teams. His record vs. teams over .500 should be tattooed to anyone's face who speaks badly about Romo's time in Dallas.

Reaction score

I think some people saw what Prescott could do in preseason and see a young, fairly talented, healthy, QB who completely engulfs himself in the game and they think "maybe this is the next guy" That certainly couldn't be said about any other QB that's been here since Romo took over.

Right. Plus, once Romo becomes healthy enough to play again, he's likely got no more than a season and a half left in him. And what are the chances that he'll stay uninjured during that year and a half?

This is rapidly turning into a long good-bye.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Uh. Like two posts up from mine for starters. And then all over every other site imaginable. Trent Dumbass Dilfer already anointed Dak the new Christ.

When Dilfer has a hot take about anything, you know shit has gone way too far. Dilfer might be an even worse commentator than QB.

Blasphemy!

Don't you dare insult the congregation of the Church of Dak!

True fans I say, I SAY, BELIEVEEEEEE, all things, that's right, ALL THINGS will work out for the glory of The Star

Can I get a hallelujah and an amen?

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
There are two types of fans.

1) Complete dumbasses (see quoted text above)

2) Non-dumbasses who are able to see that the only limitation to Romo's success here has been Garrett. That's not even disputable at this point. The orange assclown has been fucking up playcalls and other relevant coaching requirements since 2007. Romo was healthy for the majority of that time.

Garrett is the king of accumulating wins against bad teams. His record vs. teams over .500 should be tattooed to anyone's face who speaks badly about Romo's time in Dallas.

And then there's the fan like yourself, that sees Romo as not accountable for anything regardless of what happens. The Cabo thing, the "well if this loss is the worst thing that ever happens to me" (Philly blowout loss with playoffs on line), the multitude of picks thrown into double or triple coverages etc etc

The ultimate blame for the past 20 years should be placed mostly on Jones. But there are plenty of other guilty parties, including Romo himself.

Reaction score
And then there's the fan like yourself, that sees Romo as not accountable for anything regardless of what happens. The Cabo thing, the "well if this loss is the worst thing that ever happens to me" (Philly blowout loss with playoffs on line), the multitude of picks thrown into double or triple coverages etc etc

The ultimate blame for the past 20 years should be placed mostly on Jones. But there are plenty of other guilty parties, including Romo himself.

So do you think Romo could not have won a title as Denver's starting QB last season?

I understand bashing players who have a negative impact on the team. When a buffoon like Church is running around lost, then it makes sense to be irate. Romo does more good for the team than bad. The hate that he gets just doesn't make sense, even for a QB. I would change things about him, but I also realize that there's only about 7 serviceable QBs total in the league. Over 20 teams GMs would sacrifice a child for Romo.

Agreed on Jones. He's the ultimate asshole.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
So do you think Romo could not have won a title as Denver's starting QB last season?

I understand bashing players who have a negative impact on the team. When a buffoon like Church is running around lost, then it makes sense to be irate. Romo does more good for the team than bad. The hate that he gets just doesn't make sense, even for a QB. I would change things about him, but I also realize that there's only about 7 serviceable QBs total in the league. Over 20 teams GMs would sacrifice a child for Romo.

Agreed on Jones. He's the ultimate asshole.

Absolutely Romo could have won one there last year, and I would agree he's done more good than bad here. He was an UDFA who became a probowl caliber starter so that's a huge homerun just in itself.

But there are times he has done things that have hurt the team too.

Rynie

In the Rotation
Reaction score
If we went 7-0 with Dak, Jerruh would still make Romo the starter game 8.

Reaction score
Babe Laufenberg, Dallas Cowboys radio color analyst and former NFL quarterback, answered your questions about the team in a live chat at noon Friday. Some highlights:

I feel like Tony Romo has been overshadowed a lot by Dak talk. What do you think of his future with the Cowboys or in the league in general?

In a perfect world, Tony Romo never plays another down for the Cowboys. That means that Dak Prescott has this team at 6-2 and that means the Dak era has begun. On the first day of camp, Jerry Jones talked about,last season- "living in the world of they're coming back next week doesn't work." But I feel like we are there again.-"If Dak can just hold down the fort until Tony gets back" blah, blah, blah. Romo is trying to return from 4 separate and distinct traumatic injuries to his spine. These are not sprained ankles. And he is 36. At this point, I would look at anything that Tony gives you this year as a bonus. Hope for the best, but expect the worst.

Top Bottom