Reaction score
Parcells told Zimmer: This isn’t a situation where success is impossible

Aug 31

Minnesota Vikings coach Mike Zimmer and Bill Parcells spoke twice Tuesday after Teddy Bridgewater's injury, Peter King of MMQB reports.

Zimmer considers Parcells the closest thing to a pro football mentor that he has had—for a total of about 20 minutes. The first time was mid-afternoon when Zimmer didn’t know for certain the diagnosis of quarterback Teddy Bridgewater—and the fate of his Super Bowl-contending team, after Bridgewater went down without contact in a simple practice drill in Eden Prairie, Minn. But when they talked later in the afternoon, Zimmer had a pretty good idea that the injury suffered by Bridgewater was season-ending.

“There are situations that won’t allow you to succeed,” Parcells told Zimmer. “I don’t think this is one of them.”

“I told him, ‘The first thing you need to know is this: Everyone in the organization, and that includes some of the players and the coaches, are going to think they have an excuse now,” Parcells said. “Once the shock is over, probably 48 hours from now, they’re all gonna come to you and look at you and say, ‘What are you gonna do?’ Because you’re charged with winning games now, no matter what you have on your team. You need to figure out what works—what recipe works. And tomorrow morning, once the shock wears off, nobody’s gonna give a s---. It’s his problem. He’s gotta figure out how to win now.”

“I went through this,” Parcells said. “We had a backup quarterback who was unproven, Jeff Hostetler, and I remember vividly hearing all the experts then say, ‘No one’s ever won the Super Bowl with such an unproven guy.’ I said to my players, ‘We are not losing because we’re playing Jeff Hostetler. I guarantee you that.’ There were ways to win those games, and it was up to us to figure them out.

“There are ways to win these games. [Zimmer] has a good running game. You know he can coach defense and they’ve got a good defense. Al Davis had some great advice for me once, and I told [Zimmer] this: You’re driving the train, and there’s 100 sets of eyes on you from behind. Players, coach, front office. They’re all screaming, ‘You gotta do something! What are you gonna do?’ And you’re going to have to figure it out.”

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I wish Parcells would reveal the BS he put up with while he coached in Dallas. He gave us a glimpse with the silly provision in his contract defining how credit would be divied out with jeri should they win a super bowl. You know there's more.

Reaction score
Wow. Just wow.

I wish Garrett were speaking to Parcells and not to, whoever it is that he thinks will tell him what he wants to hear.

This is the paragraph that gets me.

“I told him, ‘The first thing you need to know is this: Everyone in the organization, and that includes some of the players and the coaches, are going to think they have an excuse now,” Parcells said. “Once the shock is over, probably 48 hours from now, they’re all gonna come to you and look at you and say, ‘What are you gonna do?’ Because you’re charged with winning games now, no matter what you have on your team. You need to figure out what works—what recipe works. And tomorrow morning, once the shock wears off, nobody’s gonna give a s---. It’s his problem. He’s gotta figure out how to win now

You are charged with winning games now!

No process. Now!
No day to day. Now!
No help them be in positions to... Now!
No installing. Now!

I set off a firestorm at CZ when I wrote that Garrett needs to shut up and win.

Parcells would agree. Figure out how to win games now!

NoMoRedJ

UDFA
Reaction score
I wonder if they've ever spoken.

For some reason, I doubt they have.

Im sure Parcells isnt the kind of guy Garrett would talk too because BP would tell Garrett to quit all the BS cliches and actually come up with a plan and a way to win. Thats just not Garretts style.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
“There are situations that won’t allow you to succeed,” Parcells told Zimmer. “Garrett in Dallas is one of them.”

lons

UDFA
Reaction score
You are seem to forget that Tuna couldn't pick a God damn Lineman to save his life. He needed money after a nasty divorce and used this organization. Brought in a bunch of old dudes, didn't fix shit. And stumbled into Romo as a starter thanks to Sean Payton.

Passed on Ware.

Drafted Bobby Carpenter

Refused to even use TO

Win now? Mother fucker couldn't be plussed to bother with even using what he was given.

Last edited:

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
You are seem to forget that Tuna couldn't pick a God damn Lineman to save his life. He needed money after a nasty divorce and used this organization. Brought in a bunch of old dudes, didn't fix shit. And stumbled into Romo as a starter thanks to Sean Payton.

Passed on Ware.

Drafted Bobby Carpenter

Refused to even use TO

Win now? Mother fucker couldn't be plussed to bother with even using what he was given.

No shit man, he sucked! I never understood why they didn't just stick with Campo

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Wow. Just wow.

I wish Garrett were speaking to Parcells and not to, whoever it is that he thinks will tell him what he wants to hear.

This is the paragraph that gets me.

You are charged with winning games now!

No process. Now!
No day to day. Now!
No help them be in positions to... Now!
No installing. Now!

I set off a firestorm at CZ when I wrote that Garrett needs to shut up and win.

Parcells would agree. Figure out how to win games now!

Doesn't Garrett talk to Jimmy and Saban? He's talking to the right guys he's just a shit coach.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score

Passed on Ware.

Drafted Bobby Carpenter

Refused to even use TO

He also passed on Aaron Rodgers when he was in desperate need of a young QB.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
you apparently didn't notice the sarcasm font

he neither sucked nor was overrated imo

Parcells best accomplishment in Dallas was changing a putrid losing, inept culture and helping to upgrade the roster again.

But I do think his game day coaching was vastly overrated. He was a shadow of what he was with NYG and NE here. He WAS an exceptional coach there. I dont think he was here.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
He preparation was still HOF'esque.

Where he struggled here IMO was halftime and in-game adjustments.

Fair point.

Me thinks having Mr Belichick around around with that who's who of coaching staffs in NYG and NE also contributed.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I view Parcells as a welcome respite from the desert of shit that jeri has bludgeoned us with since Jimmy left. Parcells was a cool glass of water in this respect, it finally felt like winning football was the number one priority with a competent point person at the helm.

Once he left, its back to jeri world and Garrets platitudes, I would think when comparing all the other coaching scenarios that have occurred outside of Parcells since Jimmy left, it would leave a pleasant memory with fans. I just dont get the minimization of what he did here when looking at the big picture and knowing jeri will never let things be that football focused again while he's still alive.

I'm not suggesting he was perfect but he gave me hope, even if it was short lived

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Yep, that's why I want an Alpha head coach as the next hire. It not only has to be a big enough personality to keep Jerry at bay, but one that will have the clout to have it written into his contract, exactly like Jimmy and Parcells did.

I need the dude who says Fuck you we aren't drafting a one-legged linebacker at 34.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Yep, that's why I want an Alpha head coach as the next hire. It not only has to be a big enough personality to keep Jerry at bay, but one that will have the clout to have it written into his contract, exactly like Jimmy and Parcells did.

I need the dude who says Fuck you we aren't drafting a one-legged linebacker at 34.

I'm all for that but there is no shot in hell jeri is going to let a guy like that coach the team.

He's MISERABLE with coaches that take shit seriously and make winning football the #1 priority and once he swindled Arlington and the fans into giving him his stadium, any and all leverage fans could possibly exert evaporated.

Do you actually think jeri would hire a guy like this?

Also, who would that person be?

There aren't any obvious modern day Jimmy or Parcell type coaches these days that I can see. Maybe Harbaugh. I cant figure if he's good or a lunatic. Maybe both...

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
I'm all for that but there is no shot in hell jeri is going to let a guy like that coach the team.

He's MISERABLE with coaches that take shit seriously and make winning football the #1 priority and once he swindled Arlington and the fans into giving him his stadium, any and all leverage fans could possibly exert evaporated.

Do you actually think jeri would hire a guy like this?

Also, who would that person be?

There aren't any obvious modern day Jimmy or Parcell type coaches these days that I can see. Maybe Harbaugh. I cant figure if he's good or a lunatic. Maybe both...

No way in hell would Jerry ever do that again. Stephen might though once Jerry is out of the picture.

Top Bottom