bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
1472327197-Cowboys-Seahawks-Football.jpg

It was becoming apparent Dak Prescott was the future franchise quarterback for the Dallas Cowboys. But on Saturday afternoon the timetable may have been moved up a season or two.

Tony Romo has a broken back and could miss up to 6-10 weeks, a source told The Dallas Morning News. Jerry Jones and Jason Garrett will put on a brave face and create scenarios where Romo could play through the pain, but it would be foolish to rush him back to the field.

"We don't feel like this fracture in his back has anything to do with the other back issues he's had in the past," Garrett said during a conference call Saturday. "It's a separate incident. We're confident that he's going to come back and play football for us this year."

And there may be a point this season Romo's ready to return to the field. What the Cowboys and their fans have to hope is that Prescott will make that a difficult decision. If Prescott can build on his remarkable preseason, the Cowboys don't have to resemble the helpless 2015 campaign. I've seen nothing from Prescott to suggest this moment will be too big for him. Dez Bryant already swears by him, as evidenced by his live-tweeting during the Seattle game.

As Bill Parcells once said about Romo, "this won't go smoothly." But Prescott's future is now. Whether it was great scouting or pure luck, the Cowboys have acquired a rookie quarterback who is poised for a breakout season. Can you imagine how differently things would feel if the Cowboys were turning this over to Kellen Moore today? Prescott was a four-year starter in the mighty SEC. His transition was supposed to take awhile because he operated out of a spread offense. Instead, he's looked extremely comfortable in three preseason games. He is the unquestioned heir to Romo at this point. I would think about bringing in a veteran backup behind him, but that would only be in case Prescott gets injured.

This was going to be Prescott's team in a couple seasons when Romo headed into retirement. But there's no reason he can't take over now. Is there a chance Romo's taken his final snap with the Cowboys? Absolutely.

If Prescott continues to shred defenses with his arm and legs in the regular-season, there's no reason Garrett should guarantee Romo his No. 1 status. If Prescott is struggling, though, you can always go back to him. What the Cowboys have to accept is that Romo at age 36 isn't likely to play a full season again. I'd say most starting quarterbacks in this league don't suffer a broken bone on a similar tackle. Romo is one of the toughest players in the NFL, but his health has been compromised to the point where even nondescript tackles have a chance to end his season.

Jones and Garrett will lay out an optimistic timetable for Romo out of respect for him. But they know for better or for worse, this is Prescott's team.

Oldfestus408

Spectator
Reaction score
Who backs up Dak?
Do the Boys go out and find a vet?
The Jets have 4 QB's, do you make a trade for one of them?
Maybe Petty?

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Showers sucks balls.

It's mind-boggling that reports said this coaching staff considered him dead even with or even ahead of Dak earlier in camp.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Showers sucks balls.

It's mind-boggling that reports said this coaching staff considered him dead even with or even ahead of Dak earlier in camp.

And we have to watch them do their thing with Dak, lets hope they dont piss his career down the toilet too

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
And we have to watch them do their thing with Dak, lets hope they dont piss his career down the toilet too

No kidding, that's my biggest fear of Dak having to be the starter now. I would have much preferred that he hit at least a year behind Romo to learn.

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
I have to say, I really wish you fans the best with Prescott. He looks pretty awesome at this point. He might actually be the future, and I hope he is.

I think if, and that's a big "if", Romo comes back, I'll watch his last games, but I'm absolutely done with this franchise.

It killed me to watch Ware leave town without a trophy, Witten and Romo leaving within the next season or two combined is going to be completely maddening.

I can't find the words to explain exactly how much I hate Jerry and his family, Garrett also. One of the worst stretches of talent wasted in years. They waited to build a line until Romo was broken down, they never replaced Woodson in the secondary or added talent on the defensive line like they should have.

I hope to see a game or two as a swan-song to Romo's career. Other than that, I'm done.

I do hope Prescott is good to you guys though, you all deserve it for sticking around to watch the post Parcells circus.

Last edited:

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
We all Dak fans now.

Ain't that the truth!

But what's everyone so worried about?

We will get the midget Moore back midseason! We are set guys! We got this!

Think about poor Moore with his broken whateverthefuckitis

He's sitting on the couch right now thinking "that should have been me, this was my time to shine". LOLOLOL

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
I have to say, I really wish you fans the best with Prescott. He looks pretty awesome at this point. He might actually be the future, and I hope he is.

I think if, and that's a big "if", Romo comes back, I'll watch his last games, but I'm absolutely done with this franchise.

It killed me to watch Ware leave town without a trophy, Witten and Romo leaving within the next season or two combined is going to be completely maddening.

I can't find the words to explain exactly how much I hate Jerry and his family, Garrett also. One of the worst stretches of talent wasted in years. They waited to build a line until Romo was broken down, they never replaced Woodson in the secondary or added talent on the defensive line like they should have.

I hope to see a game or two as a swan-song to Romo's career. Other than that, I'm done.

I do hope Prescott is good to you guys though, you all deserve it for sticking around to watch the post Parcells circus.

I agree a huge waste of talent. As for Parcells, what really did he do? He gets all this praise for being a great coach here but he really didn't win any more than Garrett. He brought in some really good talent but there's really good talent here now. The only difference is that Parcels talent was on the defensive side and Garrett's is on the offensive side. Now is he a better X's and O's coach and better game manager? Sure but in the long run he really didn't do much here. I've always though Parcells time here was highly overrated.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I agree a huge waste of talent. As for Parcells, what really did he do? He gets all this praise for being a great coach here but he really didn't win any more than Garrett. He brought in some really good talent but there's really good talent here now. The only difference is that Parcels talent was on the defensive side and Garrett's is on the offensive side. Now is he a better X's and O's coach and better game manager? Sure but in the long run he really didn't do much here. I've always though Parcells time here was highly overrated.

Parcels changed the culture he was handed from Dave "the ass clown" Campo. Come on, the guy won a SB with Jeff Hoestetler and an over the hill defense and basically shout down one of the better offenses the NFL has seen in Buffalo. He made it to the SB with an average Patriot team. Comparing Parcels and Coach sound byte is laughable.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Parcels changed the culture he was handed from Dave "the ass clown" Campo. Come on, the guy won a SB with Jeff Hoestetler and an over the hill defense and basically shout down one of the better offenses the NFL has seen in Buffalo. He made it to the SB with an average Patriot team. Comparing Parcels and Coach sound byte is laughable.

Right he changed the culture but any new coach coming in would have done that. He won with Giants, that's great but what does that have to do with the Cowboys? He won with the Patriots, again great but what the hell does that have to do with Dallas? He was an average coach here. Jimmy was great here, Landry was great here. Parcells was in the same line with Gailey, Doughboy, and Garrett. No need to overrate the guy by calling him great here because he wasn't.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I agree a huge waste of talent. As for Parcells, what really did he do? He gets all this praise for being a great coach here but he really didn't win any more than Garrett.

Say what?

Parcells: Four years, three winning seasons, two playoff berths
Garrett: Five years, one winning season, one playoff berth

And Garrett has had a seasoned Romo and an easier division.

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
I recognize that he never won anything of significance, but he set up the team to be successful for a decade.

It's not his fault Jerry hired a fat baby and Raggedy Andy after the fact.

If you bring in a coach that demands respect after Parcells and actually has an eye for talent, maybe you don't have the circus year in and year out to the point where a team overflowing with talent is a laughingstock on the level of the old Bengals.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Right he changed the culture but any new coach coming in would have done that. He won with Giants, that's great but what does that have to do with the Cowboys? He won with the Patriots, again great but what the hell does that have to do with Dallas? He was an average coach here. Jimmy was great here, Landry was great here. Parcells was in the same line with Gailey, Doughboy, and Garrett. No need to overrate the guy by calling him great here because he wasn't.

Eh just like Switzer won with Jimmys talent, Wade made it to the playoffs in 07 with Parcels talent. And I'd bet my life if he's coach they beat the Giants in the 07 playoff game. I get the feeling you just dont like the guy because to me he is obvious hall of fame, difference making coach who I wished stayed a lot longer.

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
Say what?

Parcells: Four years, three winning seasons, two playoff berths
Garrett: Five years, one winning season, one playoff berth

And Garrett has had a seasoned Romo and an easier division.

Campo would have had better results with the talent Garrett inherited, imo. Campo was losing games with the island of misfit toys.

Top Bottom