Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Jason Garrett: Tony Romo has broken bone in his back - NFL.com

Published: Aug. 27, 2016 at 02:42 p.m.
Updated: Aug. 27, 2016 at 02:47 p.m.

Quarterback Tony Romo's back injury is worse than anticipated.

According to an MRI, the Cowboys signal-caller has a broken bone in his back, coach Jason Garrett said Saturday. No timetable has been set for his return.

Around the NFL will have more on this story shortly.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Tony Romo MRI reveals broken bone in back, could be out 6-10 weeks - CBSSports.com

The season hasn't even started yet and the Dallas Cowboys have already seen their starting quarterback get injured yet again. Jason Garrett announced on Saturday that Tony Romo had an MRI taken of his back after sustaining an injury on the third play of Dallas' third preseason game on Thursday night, and the MRI revealed a broken bone in Romo's back.

According to CBS Sports NFL Insider Jason La Canfora, Romo is expected to miss 6-10 weeks.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
24967011f6f29926397b243f5437fda8.jpg

Garrett "Romo has a broken bone in his often injured back again, he has not been ruled out for the start of the season in 2 weeks"

Lmao

I told you I was done with Romo

I just didn't think it would be literally. There is no reason for him to continue to play. He can't take a hit anymore. He broke two bones last season and already broke one before this season even started. 16 snaps and one broken bone. Not a good ratio.

That boy needs to drink more milk!!!

At this point the risk to him injuring himself permanently is more important than continuing to play in hopes of finally getting a Super Bowl. I don't want to see him go, but I don't want to see him in a wheelchair for the rest of his life either

I'll be the first to admit that having Dak makes this post a lot easier to write. Is he going to take us into the playoffs? No. But is playing him better than getting Romo hurt worse? Absolutely

Last edited:

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Did Garrett really say that? Reports are 6-10 weeks. One source I heard on 103.3 said at least half the year.

Eff me. Feel terrible for Tony. But there's Jason's excuse for the next few years.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Dak Prescott just got the chance of a lifetime

So far he looks up to the challenge. Only time will tell.

I'm sure he will start to struggle and look like a rookie QB at some point.

Let's hope it's not the season opener

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
This is why I despise the front office. They assured us that it was minor and that no MRI would be necessary. When they're not blatantly lying to our faces, they're practicing gross incompetence.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
Good thing we decided to finally take the QB position seriously in the draft. Imagine if we just rolled into this year with Kellen Moore and Jameil Showers backing up Romo.

We'd be forking over a 2nd round pick for Josh McCown right about now.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Well it looks like we are going to find out about Dak sooner rather than later. You guys think they go with Showers as Dak's backup or look for a vet? Also does Dak play in that last preseason game now?

I feel bad for Romo though. I would not be surprised if he just retires. He has two young kids and needs to consider his quality of life after football.

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
It wasn't even a hard hit according to some guys here. A normal person would have laughed and been like wtf did someone just fart on my back?

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Well it looks like we are going to find out about Dak sooner rather than later. You guys think they go with Showers as Dak's backup or look for a vet? Also does Dak play in that last preseason game now?

I feel bad for Romo though. I would not be surprised if he just retires. He has two young kids and needs to consider his quality of life after football.

Yeah he just needs to smell the coffee, man up, and walk away.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
It wasn't even a hard hit according to some guys here. A normal person would have laughed and been like wtf did someone just fart on my back?

No... That was a bad type of hit I doubt anyone just jumps right up and trots back to the huddle from. But to get that broken bone out of it is a sign you're done and need a fork stuck in your old brittle ass.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
No... That was a bad type of hit I doubt anyone just jumps right up and trots back to the huddle from. But to get that broken bone out of it is a sign you're done and need a fork stuck in your old brittle ass.

I didn't think the hit was bad. The way he landed was bad. Landing in that sitting position cause his back to crunch under the weight of the defender. The hit was clean though I thought.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I didn't think the hit was bad. The way he landed was bad. Landing in that sitting position cause his back to crunch under the weight of the defender. The hit was clean though I thought.

Yeah I never said it wasn't clean. I say it's one that most fully healthy guys aren't gonna just jump up and trot off from. It was awkward and bizarre and would have hurt anyone enough that they would miss at least one play.

cockstrong

UDFA
Reaction score
This doesn't bother me this much as a cowboy fan because it seems to be perfect justice for a guy like Jerry jones

What does bother me was that Romo was the golden ticket and turned this franchise hopes around. He was tough as hell and truly loved the game
It's an absolute shame that a guy like him went to the Dallas Cowboys under Jerry jones than any other franchise that could have realized exactly what they had and built a team around him
He deserved so much better and it's a shame he not only will never win a super bowl but will likely be crippled at some point of his life

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Yeah I never said it wasn't clean. I say it's one that most fully healthy guys aren't gonna just jump up and trot off from. It was awkward and bizarre and would have hurt anyone enough that they would miss at least one play.

Yea I agree with that.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score

but isn't it fair to say that he's more susceptible to this type of injury compared to other younger, sturdier QBs?

Top Bottom