Reaction score
Dunbar did so well in rehab that the Cowboys had to be disciplined in bringing him back
By Kate Hairopoulos

FRISCO -- Lance Dunbar is known as a running back the Cowboys can bring in when they need a change of pace.

So it was fitting that he returned to practice Sunday when Dallas held its first practice at The Star, the team's new headquarters and training facility.

Dunbar expects to work back into practice by doing individual drills after spending the first chunk of training camp on the physically unable to perform list.

Dunbar tore his anterior cruciate ligament and his patellar tendon last October on a kickoff return against New Orleans, ending his season and requiring surgery. He was leading the Cowboys in receiving at the time.

With Dunbar activated off the PUP list and first-round draft pick Ezekiel Elliott (sore hamstring) slated for a full practice Sunday, the Cowboys are finally starting to see that glut of running backs that has been so discussed.

There was scant evidence of it just last Friday in the second preseason game against Miami, when even linebacker-turned-fullback Keith Smith got three carries.

But the Cowboys will eventually have roster decisions to make among a running backs corps that includes Elliott, Dunbar and Alfred Morris, the free-agency addition who impressed by rushing for 85 yards and a touchdown on 13 carries in last week's game.

And that's without even mentioning Darren McFadden, last season's leading rusherwho continues to work his way back from a fractured elbow and remains on the non-football injury list.

Also, 2016 sixth-round draft pick Darius Jackson had 14 carries for 43 yards Friday.

Dunbar spent most of the three weeks of training camp in Oxnard, Calif., rehabbing alongside McFadden as practice unfolded without them.

"It's been real tough," Dunbar said. "It was painful at times. But I knew it would get better over time."

It was once thought Dunbar could start the season on PUP and miss the first six games, but head coach Jason Garrett said the Cowboys actually exercised patience in waiting as long as they did to bring the fifth-year player out of North Texas back.

"Lance has been doing such a good job," Garrett said, "to the point where we had to have discipline to say, 'Let's keep him on PUP here for a little while longer' because he was doing so well in his rehab.

"It was a serious injury he had, and he's worked very hard to come back. We had to be very deliberate in saying, 'Let's keep him out.' Now we feel like it's the right time to bring him back. ...We're excited to have him back. He's an awfully good football player."

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Teams have to know we are going to cut 1 or 2 of these RB's. Would love to see them get something in a trade.

Reaction score
They should just go Josh Cribbs or Dexter McCluster and call him a WR/RB which is essentially what Marshall Faulk was.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Teams have to know we are going to cut 1 or 2 of these RB's. Would love to see them get something in a trade.

I think if McFadden and Dunbar could both prove they are healthy and still effective, we could potentially at least get a late round conditional pick for each of them. Not sure either will be able to prove that in time though.

I wouldn't waste a roster spot on either, and there's no way in hell I'd cut Darius Jackson to keep one of these guys.

Reaction score
Agreed.

Unanimous.

Dunbar has been hurt enough that losing a RB in favor of him is silly. He's not even faster than Elliot, McFadden or especially Jackson.

Elliot should start with Morris on third down, and Jackson as finisher and short yardage. McFadden could return kicks but rally should be traded. I dont see the need for a FB or Rod Smith. Maybe they keep 4. Still think they should move Dunbar to WR.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Jackson reminds me of Morris, who was also a 6th round pick/steal. You watch him and wonder how the hell did he ever get drafted that low. As much as I hate the Redskins, I watched a lot of him his rookie year (2012) on Sunday Ticket with our players because he is Damarious Randall's cousin.

Reaction score
Did you see in the Dolphin game where Jackson pushed back a pile of Dolphin defenders just for 2 yards? The commentator said "that was a very impressive 2 yard gain" (obviously MB3 owns the crown for most impressive 2 yard gain in the history of the universe). Jackson just used leg strength. When he was drafted, Mayock talked about an LSU game that Jackson had like 19 carries for 66 yards but every carry was Jackson getting brutal yards without blocking help. I think once the pro game slows down for Jackson, he is going to realize how to use his power.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Unanimous.

Dunbar has been hurt enough that losing a RB in favor of him is silly. He's not even faster than Elliot, McFadden or especially Jackson.

Elliot should start with Morris on third down, and Jackson as finisher and short yardage. McFadden could return kicks but rally should be traded. I dont see the need for a FB or Rod Smith. Maybe they keep 4. Still think they should move Dunbar to WR.

I'd actually like to see Elliott get most of the carries in the first 3 quarters and then on days where they have a sizable lead going into the 4th (which should be most of the time) put Morris in and let him be the guy that chews up the clock. He's not a threat to score too fast by going 80 on any given play but he will get you 4-6 yards a carry. He'd be perfect when you're trying to kill time. That would also keep Elliott fresh and give Morris a fair amount of carries (in addition to the carries he would get subbing in for Zeke.

Top Bottom