Reaction score
Reason for optimism? Cowboys' defense has been better than expected
Todd Archer
ESPN Staff Writer

OXNARD, Calif. -- This might come as a surprise to many of you: The Dallas Cowboys' defense has not been bad.

Perhaps that has something to do with lower-than-usual expectations entering training camp, but there have been positive signs after 10 practices.

Two years ago, the Cowboys' offense dominated the defense almost daily, with one practice particularly standing out when it seemed no running back was touched until he was 5 yards downfield.

This summer? The first-team offense has not broken off the long runs on a consistent basis. The pass defense has also been markedly improved. The first-team defense has not given up a long run of note unless you want to count a jet sweep by wide receiver Lucky Whitehead.

Cornerbacks Morris Claiborne and Brandon Carr have not allowed much separation in covering receivers. Dez Bryant has had some highlight plays but not much has come easy for him. The pass-rush remains unsettled, but there have been times the defense has gotten home with blitzes.

Of course, in Jason Garrett's world the measurements are not made through a small portion of training camp. Or evidently at all. Although daily interceptions, fumbles, sacks and strip attempts are noted on charts for all to see.

"Any idea that there's an expectation for what this defense can be, what this offense can be, what this team can be, we really don't live in that world," Garrett said. "We live in the world of preparing to take full advantage of this opportunity, and I would argue that the guys really throughout our team have done that. And I think they have done that on the defensive side of the ball. We have a long way to go. We go back and watch that tape at night, every day, and cannot be real pleased with it. But there are some things that you like."

The suspensions of Rolando McClain (10 games), Randy Gregory (four) and DeMarcus Lawrence (four) contributed to the dismal defensive talk entering camp. McClain and Gregory aren't even at camp.

Add that to those remembering just 11 takeaways last season and lost fourth-quarter leads or first-drive losses in overtime (Philadelphia, New Orleans).

But the defense is using that doubt as motivation.

"No question we play with a chip on our shoulder," linebacker Sean Lee said. "We know we can play defense at a high level. People might not believe in us, but we've done it before. We've put it on tape. We just have to find a way to beat the system. We need to stay healthy. But I think we can be a great defense."

None of what has happened in Oxnard means the Cowboys will have the third coming of Doomsday. It just means maybe there is a hope that the possibility of success will not rely solely on Tony Romo, Ezekiel Elliott, Bryant, Jason Witten and the offensive line.

"It's our fourth year in the system this year and a lot of the players in this system know it like the back of their hand now," safety Barry Church said. "So I feel like the communication level is outstanding right now, people playing as one, and I feel like that'll allow us to play a lot faster on the field this year and hopefully cause havoc and create turnovers like we did in '14."

Two years ago the expectations for the Cowboys' defense were extraordinarily low. Some wondered if it would be the worst defense in NFL history. It wasn't, finishing 19th overall. Most importantly, that defense was second in the league in takeaways.

That defense didn't have Lee or Byron Jones, two reasons why executive vice president Stephen Jones expressed optimism for the defense in the spring.

"We have some guys that were some pretty impactful players that are not going to be able to help us out from four to 10 games, so that's a disappointment," Carr said. "But at the same time, it's the ultimate team sport. This is why we have 100 guys out here at camp, because you have to find the next person to fill in to those shoes. And also, it's up to us veteran guys as leaders out there on the defense to kind of set the tone, to hold everybody accountable. But for those that need the expedited playbook, I guess, we need to bring those guys along and get everybody on the same page. Because once Sept. 11 hits, there's no excuses, there's no reasons as to why you can't go out there and compete. It doesn't matter who's out. It just matters who's on the field right now."

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Defense has been better? Are they judging this by all the teams they've beaten already? How can they seriously say they've been better, they're not even tackling in camp.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Defense has been better? Are they judging this by all the teams they've beaten already? How can they seriously say they've been better, they're not even tackling in camp.

Exactly. I don't understand this, either.

This is why I don't believe really anything I read from these writers at camp. I've been to camps and seen stories written about one or two plays made that never would have happened in a real game. Dak Prescott holds the ball three counts too long, stares down a covered WR, finally forces the ball to him and it gets broken up -- and it's counted as a win for the defense. That's just one example, but similar stuff happens all the time.

Now if it's something written by a trained football person who's traveling around seeing a bunch of camps and actually has some knowledge and a basis of comparison? Then I'll start listening.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Exactly. I don't understand this, either.

This is why I don't believe really anything I read from these writers at camp. I've been to camps and seen stories written about one or two plays made that never would have happened in a real game. Dak Prescott holds the ball three counts too long, stares down a covered WR, finally forces the ball to him and it gets broken up -- and it's counted as a win for the defense. That's just one example, but similar stuff happens all the time.

Now if it's something written by a trained football person who's traveling around seeing a bunch of camps and actually has some knowledge and a basis of comparison? Then I'll start listening.

Did you hear what Nate Newton said about the team yesterday?

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Archer said:
Cowboys' defense has been better than expected
This horrid defense looks better against the offense that's mostly been sans-Romo? Better tell the rest of the league and all the fans, our offense really really sucks!

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I never understood the belief in training cam reporting.

It's the team media and local media guys reporting. It's local guys calling the preseason games. Hell, I'm watching the Cardinals game right now and cringing every time this moron Ron Wolfley talks about how every Cardinal player is an amazing specimen of a human being.

It's coaches and front office guys telling fans how great all of the players they just signed or drafted are. Are coaches critical? Sure but always positive. It's against their nature to admit the guys they are coaching aren't ready or good enough. There are 32 teams right now having "great" camps.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Archer said:
Cowboys' defense has been better than expected

First off, not a very high bar.

Second, Dak Prescott and Jameill Showers. Seriously?

Reaction score
Everybody is "better than expected" when they haven't played a down that counted yet. I'm sure there are positive articles right now over in Cleveland about how this or that scrub looked in practice.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
It's not defense, but a classic example is a thread at the zone about how great Swaim is looking. One person says the team reporter guys were saying they may not play him much in preseason in hopes they can sneak him onto the practice squad.

So he's playing so well that... he won't make the final roster. Makes sense.

Reaction score
It's not defense, but a classic example is a thread at the zone about how great Swaim is looking. One person says the team reporter guys were saying they may not play him much in preseason in hopes they can sneak him onto the practice squad.

:lol

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score

To be fair Swaim does look better than he did last year. He's bigger and doesn't look completely lost like he did last year. Obviously they haven't played an actual game yet so all that could change once guys start hitting.

Reaction score
To be fair Swaim does look better than he did last year. He's bigger and doesn't look completely lost like he did last year. Obviously they haven't played an actual game yet so all that could change once guys start hitting.

To be fair, the Swaim traded draft pick as well as Swaim himself would have been better used for positions of desperate need rather than another TE on a team who may not have a solid DL, backup QB, or DBs for that matter but they do have TEs. Even Rico Gathers. Really?! You just resigned Hanna, you have Witten, Escobar and Swaim. Why? There are still big needs on the team and the reps alone for any TE are going to be so minimal then what's the logic? How does that help?

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
To be fair, the Swaim traded draft pick as well as Swaim himself would have been better used for positions of desperate need rather than another TE on a team who may not have a solid DL, backup QB, or DBs for that matter but they do have TEs. Even Rico Gathers. Really?! You just resigned Hanna, you have Witten, Escobar and Swaim. Why? There are still big needs on the team and the reps alone for any TE are going to be so minimal then what's the logic? How does that help?

I'm not saying having more TE's helps or makes sense. I agree 100% that they should have used that pick on a defensive player. All I'm saying is that he has looked better than he did last year. Also I think one of the TE's will be traded.

Reaction score
I'm not saying having more TE's helps or makes sense. I agree 100% that they should have used that pick on a defensive player. All I'm saying is that he has looked better than he did last year. Also I think one of the TE's will be traded.

I knew what you were saying. I just wanted to keep the To Be Fair phrase going. The Gathers and Swaim picks really bugged me.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
I knew what you were saying. I just wanted to keep the To Be Fair phrase going. The Gathers and Swaim picks really bugged me.

Anthony Brown looks like he might end up being a pretty good pick.

Reaction score
Defenses usually look better than offenses in early preseason. That's how it used to be. Has it changed?

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Wasn't a great night for the pass rush for sure. There really wasn't any save a a few blitzes and that one nice twist/stung sack by the new guy.

They cant be happy with what they saw from Russell and Irving last night, especially in the 2nd half when they both got owned by Ram scrubbeenies.

Definitely interested in seeing Tapper and Mayowa, hopefully they can play Friday night vs Miami.

Top Bottom