Reaction score
Laufenberg: Why this isn't Dak Prescott's year to back up Tony Romo; what Cowboys see in QB Nick Foles
By Babe Laufenberg

Special contributor and former Cowboys quarterback Babe Laufenberg recently held a chat to talk all things Dallas Cowboys. Here are some highlights:

Why would the Cowboys be interested in Nick Foles? Had a terrible year with the Rams last season.

Laufenberg: Everyone had a terrible year for the Rams last year. And the Rams have had a lot of terrible years, suffering through 9 consecutive losing seasons. Closely watched what the Rams were doing offensively when the Cowboys practiced against them last year at training camp, and did not like their offense much. Rams finished last in virtually every important statistical passing category last season. Only team in NFL to average less than 300 yards of total offense. No surprise they have a new offensive coordinator. I just can't erase from my mind that in 2013, Foles threw 27 TD passes and two interceptions. 27-2! That is ridiculously off the charts. So it is now someone's job (Wade Wilson? Scott Linehan?) to get that out of him again.

How has Dak Prescott looked, and if the Cowboys didn't add a good backup QB before the season, would you be comfortable?

Laufenberg: I don't think there is any way you can look at Prescott as the backup, not this year. The learning curve would just be too steep, too fast.

Aside from the obvious issues with movement, can you explain how else an injury like Kellen Moore's hinders a QB? How easy is it to bounce back from once rehabbed?

Laufenberg: Let me first say, my heart breaks for Kellen Moore. Here is a guy who five years into his NFL career had earned the right to move up the QB ladder and be thought of as something other than "too" (too short, too small, etc.)." If there is a silver lining to the broken fibula, it is that it is his right leg. The left leg is the plant leg for a left-handed QB, the leg that you stick firmly into the ground for each throw. So his right leg endures less stress. OK, I'm admittedly seeing the glass as half full, but that is the best I can do right now.

Do you think Jameill Showers will now make the 53 man roster?

Laufenberg: I think that is going to be difficult. Romo and most likely Dak Prescott will take up two spots. A veteran backup will take the third. But Showers is an interesting prospect. Good athlete and improving as a passer. He was placed on the practice squad last year, and I could easily see that happening again this season.

Do you think the Kellen Moore injury will scare the coaching staff and make them change the drills at camp? I mean, it could've been #9 back there instead of #17.

Laufenberg: It just as easily could have been #9. I watched it unfold. This was not a drill where they let the defense hit the #2 QB, but are not allowed to touch Romo. Moore just got his O-line shoved back in the pocket. It was unfortunate, and teams do everything they can to avoid injuries, but the bottom line is, they happen. It is still a contact sport.

Reaction score
Prescott could give you another dimension with his legs and a controlled pistol offense. Point is you could win a game or two that way and give him important reps towards becoming a more well-rounded backup.

McKown would be nice, but a zero like Foles gives you nothing more than Prescott-- maybe less.

NoMoRedJ

UDFA
Reaction score
Prescott could give you another dimension with his legs and a controlled pistol offense. Point is you could win a game or two that way and give him important reps towards becoming a more well-rounded backup.

With this coaching staff? You think this coaching staff is capable of something like that?

Top Bottom