Reaction score
DeMarcus Lawrence vows to learn from mistakes after drug ban
Jean-Jacques Taylor
ESPN Staff Writer

OXNARD, Calif -- Defensive end DeMarcus Lawrence publicly apologized to the Cowboys' organization Sunday for violating the NFL's substance-abuse policy, which has earned him a four-game suspension.

In his first public comments since his suspension was announced in April, Lawrence said he apologized to his teammates during OTA practices before publicly apologizing to his coaches and the Jones family. He also vowed to learn from his mistake and promised to live up to the potential he showed at the end of last season, when he registered eight sacks in the last nine games.

"I ain't gonna lie," Lawrence said after Sunday morning's practice. "I did feel guilty, but God puts you through things for a reason. I just see it as a blessing to open my eyes with a little fortitude.

"I got a chip on my shoulder. You have to play like that when you know you let the team down for the first four games."

The suspension will cost Lawrence $230,151. The 34th pick in the 2014 draft is scheduled to earn $1.17 next season, the final year of his rookie contract. Lawrence had 55 tackles, including 10 for loss, and a forced fumble last season.

"We all make mistakes. He's made a mistake," coach Jason Garrett said. "The biggest thing you want everyone to do is accept responsibility for it and be accountable for it and then do what you need to do to rectify it.

"It was important for him to acknowledge that. He's a good person. He's a good teammate. He works hard and he wants to be the best he can, and he wants this team to be the best it can be."

Lawrence said he felt obligated to apologize to his teammates because he has emerged as a leader entering his third season.

"Times like this -- hard times -- come through your life all the time," Lawrence said. "You have to stand up and be a man about your mistakes. I did that. I stood up as a man, talked to my teammates and they understand how sorry I am.

"You have to admit to your decisions and mistakes. I felt like that was the right thing to do. My team counts on me as a leader and I didn't prove myself to them. I had to step up and let them know I was sorry."

Lawrence will practice during training camp, and he will continue working to make sure his back can withstand the rigors of an NFL season. He had offseason back surgery, which caused him to show up for training camp a few pounds over his desired weight.

"He's a stand-up guy who takes responsibility for his mistakes. obviously. It's an unfortunate one for us, but he's moving on from it," safety Byron Jones said. "It's not bothering him right now; maybe it is, but he's practicing hard and he's in meetings taking notes. He's not looking at it like he's not playing the first four games."

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
He had a history of problems at Boise State and in JuCo. This team has to stop drafting these kinds of kids. Normally, I don't mind but we don't have the leadership. Jones is an enabler, Garrett is a fraud, and Romo is happy-go-lucky.

Look at the Cardinals, they draft Honey Badger, ties his contract to performance and behavior incentives, and truly mentor him. It works out for them and they feel comfortable taking a chance on Nkemdiche. We gamble, fail, and gamble some more.

Last edited:

Rynie

In the Rotation
Reaction score
He failed because of a medicine prescribed to him by his doctor after his surgery. The medicine is on the list of banned substances.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
He failed because of a medicine prescribed to him by his doctor after his surgery. The medicine is on the list of banned substances.

More fake insider stuff.. you never learn Rynie.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
He had a history of problems at Boise State and in JuCo. This team has to stop drafting these kinds of kids. Normally, I don't mind but we don't have the leadership. Jones is an enabler, Garrett is a fraud, and Romo is happy-go-lucky.

Look at the Cardinals, they draft Honey Badger, ties his contract to performance and behavior incentives, and truly mentor him. It works out for them and they feel comfortable taking a chance on Nkemdiche. We gamble, fail, and gamble some more.

Calling Lawrence a failure is lame CMD. Lawrence had a really good playoff run two yrs ago and had a quality season last yr.

If he gets suspended again I might change my tune on him, but he looks like a keeper.

onlyonenow

In the Rotation
Reaction score
Calling Lawrence a failure is lame CMD. Lawrence had a really good playoff run two yrs ago and had a quality season last yr.

If he gets suspended again I might change my tune on him, but he looks like a keeper.

now how many violations of the drug policy does it take to get a suspension?

Reaction score

Define "quality season" because I certainly didn't see "quality" in only 8 sacks and 35 tackles. That is pedestrian, and I would expect better of any starting DE in the NFL.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Define "quality season" because I certainly didn't see "quality" in only 8 sacks and 35 tackles. That is pedestrian, and I would expect better of any starting DE in the NFL.

Yeah, ok. Stupid post of the day there man.

Only 10 DE's had more sacks than he did last yr, so in a league with 64 starting DE's, how exactly is that "pedestrian"?

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score

Not what I did. Lawrence on his own is not a big deal. It's the constant gambles that have help turn this defense into a dumpster fire and kept this organization out of Super Bowls for 20 years. This team does not have the structure to handle the "character issues" guys.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Not what I did. Lawrence on his own is not a big deal. It's the constant gambles that have help turn this defense into a dumpster fire and kept this organization out of Super Bowls for 20 years. This team does not have the structure to handle the "character issues" guys.

ok got it...

That part I agree with, although unlike some of the other slime here I don't think Lawrence is a bad or really troubled kid.

Hoofbite

Draft Pick
Reaction score

The substance he supposedly took (adderall or similar) isn't a medication anyone would receive simply because they are post-op.

The NFLPA has a form on their website where players with valid medical reasons can appeal to have a drug exempted. The application would have to undergo review by the league's Medical Review Officer, and if there's a legitimate need the player would not be subject to punishment for testing positive for that particular drug.

In his case, he doesn't have a legitimate need because nobody gets adderall for this reason. It would be damn questionable to get such a prescription. So when he thought he could appeal he probably thought that he'd submit the paperwork and everything would be cool because a doctor prescribed it. The league probably looked at it and laughed, rejected his application for exemption based on such a prescription being entirely inappropriate, denied his appeal because he didn't have an exemption, and upheld his suspension.

Rynie

In the Rotation
Reaction score
The substance he supposedly took (adderall or similar) isn't a medication anyone would receive simply because they are post-op.

The NFLPA has a form on their website where players with valid medical reasons can appeal to have a drug exempted. The application would have to undergo review by the league's Medical Review Officer, and if there's a legitimate need the player would not be subject to punishment for testing positive for that particular drug.

In his case, he doesn't have a legitimate need because nobody gets adderall for this reason. It would be damn questionable to get such a prescription. So when he thought he could appeal he probably thought that he'd submit the paperwork and everything would be cool because a doctor prescribed it. The league probably looked at it and laughed, rejected his application for exemption based on such a prescription being entirely inappropriate, denied his appeal because he didn't have an exemption, and upheld his suspension.

Oh, nice. I didn't realize all that. Thanks.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score

All 4 times? Remember they don't hand out 4 game suspensions for 1 failed test. This guy can say he's sorry all he wants, I don't trust him.

Rynie

In the Rotation
Reaction score
All 4 times? Remember they don't hand out 4 game suspensions for 1 failed test. This guy can say he's sorry all he wants, I don't trust him.

No, his latest one, but apparantly. When did the others happen again?

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
No, his latest one, but apparantly. When did the others happen again?

They had to have happened since he's been in the NFL. We just heard about the most recent one that triggered the suspension. You have to fail 4 though before they suspend you. So this fool saying how sorry he is means nothing to me. We heard the same shit from Gregory last year.

Hoofbite

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Depends how they classified the drug. Recreational requires 4 failures.

Performance-enhancing requires 1, I believe.

His surgery was shortly before the Superbowl so a stimulant could be considered a PED until the league year officially ends.

Hadn't heard he was ever fined so I'd guess he's got a PED on file.

Top Bottom