Reaction score
Jerry Jones keeping the faith in Jaylon Smith: 'It's the type of thing that could really come around'
By Jon Machota

When the Cowboys used the 34th overall pick to draft Jaylon Smith in April, they understood it was unlikely that the Notre Dame linebacker would play in 2016.

But Cowboys owner Jerry Jones declined to shut the door on the possibility of Smith returning later in the year, so many have continued to speculate.

Smith was seen throughout the offseason program rehabbing the left knee he severely injured in the Fiesta Bowl. But it appears there's still a ways to go in regards to the nerve fully recovering.

"His progress is really undetermined," Jones said Tuesday morning on 105.3 The Fan's Shan and RJ show [KRLD-FM]. "But that was to be expected. He is not off plan at all. The rejuvenation of the nerve that would help him get in position to actually hit the playing field is not complete, but it is not behind. It was to be expected.

"Our doctors are not dismayed at all. I'm not [dismayed]. It's the type of thing that could really come around. And if it comes around, then we'll take advantage of it. And he's such an impact player that we would try to get him on the field. In the meantime, he's doing many things that would let you use the word progress. Of course, he has unbelievable work ethic, character, resolve to help the team."

Smith said last month that he didn't know when he would play football again. But he did state the he was confident he would eventually return to being an "elite" linebacker.

If not for the injury, which included a torn ACL and MCL, Smith would've likely been a top five pick in this year's draft.
Smith said he has experienced "great improvements" in terms of strength in the surgically-repaired knee, however, it's the nerve that will ultimately determine when he can return to football activities.

"I'm just grinding each and every day, controlling what I can control," Smith said. "Once I'm healthy and I'm cleared, I'll be back out there.

"Everything I do, I have a clear-eye view, a focused vision, a determination, so getting back out there is my No. 1 goal. But it's definitely testing my patience, and I'm loving it."

Reaction score
Jerry is an eternal optimist, yet he sounds pretty level in this article. Which makes me wonder if there is legt cause for concern with Jaylons recovery.

onlyonenow

In the Rotation
Reaction score
Jerry is an eternal optimist, yet he sounds pretty level in this article. Which makes me wonder if there is legt cause for concern with Jaylons recovery.

maybe for just once Jerruh was really telling the whole story as regards the nerve. He specifically said the rejuvenation is NOT behind. So if it is not ahead and not behind its where it should be which is slowly recovering.

Reaction score
Possible, but IDK. This is the time of the year he's normally in full hype mode for the season. Not sure what to make of his comments. Even Jaylons comments about not being sure when he'd be able to play football again is kind of alarming.

Definitely don't think it will be (or should be) this year though.

Rynie

In the Rotation
Reaction score
I've already written him off. We suck donkey balls with the 2nd round pick.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
since we took him, rest assured that he'll never play a down

onlyonenow

In the Rotation
Reaction score
Possible, but IDK. This is the time of the year he's normally in full hype mode for the season. Not sure what to make of his comments. Even Jaylons comments about not being sure when he'd be able to play football again is kind of alarming.

Definitely don't think it will be (or should be) this year though.

there is a difference between hype and lying - so I think he was being pretty straight about something like this.

onlyonenow

In the Rotation
Reaction score
Even the most optimistic people occasionally think about the downside so Jaylon doing this is not a surprise.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
My thought exactly. In Jerry's pea brain, the very most optimistic outcome is the most likely one. So I'm thinking Smith isn't doing that well.

onlyonenow

In the Rotation
Reaction score
My thought exactly. In Jerry's pea brain, the very most optimistic outcome is the most likely one. So I'm thinking Smith isn't doing that well.

you guys need to get a sense of proportion even about Jerruh. He is not going to lie about something like this. And your rather weird reasoning does not fit.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Only one on here would take a criticism of Jerry as a criticism of Smith.

Just imagine he said it about Doug Free if that helps.

Top Bottom