Reaction score
Which Cowboy will have the best breakout season in 2016? Byron Jones, Brice Butler top the list
By Jon Machota

The Cowboys have had some memorable breakout performances over the last few years. A year ago, it was defensive end DeMarcus Lawrence. After missing half his rookie year with a broken foot, Lawrence played in every game during the 2015 season, recording a team-high eight sacks and 31 quarterback pressures.

In 2014, it was running back DeMarco Murray. Sure, he already had a 1,000-yard season under his belt, but for the first time in his career Murray was on the field for all 16 games. He helped propel Dallas to a 12-4 mark with his single-season franchise rushing-record of 1,845 yards and 13 touchdowns.

The two years before that, it was pass rushers Jason Hatcher and Anthony Spencer posting career-highs in the sack department. Hatcher led the team with 11 sacks in 2013. Spencer finished with 11 in 2012.

Who could be the breakout candidate for 2016?

Here are five possibilities.

5.) Defensive end Ryan Russell
With so much uncertainty surrounding the Cowboys' pass rush, defensive coordinator Rod Marinelli is hoping a few of his young defensive ends thrive in bigger roles.

Throughout organized team activities and minicamp, Russell took first-team reps at right and left defensive end.

Russell, a fifth-round pick in 2015, suffered an abdominal injury last season and played in only one game. With defensive ends DeMarcus Lawrence and Randy Gregory suspended for the first four games, Russell should have an opportunity to make an immediate impact.

"He's always had the movement," Marinelli said. "I just see some maturity in him right now. He's handling it. I like what he's doing."

4.) Defensive lineman Jack Crawford
While recently talking about the eight-man rotation of pass-rushers he prefers, Marinelli said Crawford is the "perfect guy" for his system.

"Every time he came in [last season], he impacted the game," Marinelli said. "He had four sacks as a rotational guy. He had a lot of hits, pressure. He's fresh. He comes in and he's got a great motor."

Crawford, who signed a one-year deal to remain with the Cowboys in April, has the versatility to play multiple positions along the defensive line.

When Lawrence and Gregory are out, expect to see Crawford, 27, get more chances to rush the passer from the outside.

3.) Defensive lineman David Irving
Yes, another defensive lineman. Between the suspensions and not re-signing Greg Hardy and Jeremy Mincey, someone has to pressure the quarterback, right?

The 6-7, 285-pound Irving played in 12 games last season before fracturing his wrist in Week 16. The former undrafted rookie free agent recorded a half sack, 14 quarterback pressures and a blocked field goal in his first season.

"He's a talented guy," Marinelli said. "I mean obviously he's got the length and all those things, but I've not really seen guys like that that can bend like that. The guy plays low and when he's playing, he makes plays."

Irving, 22, got first-team reps at defensive end during offseason workouts. Cowboys owner Jerry Jones said Irving caught his eye during some of those sessions.

2) Wide receiver Brice Butler
With Dez Bryant limited throughout OTAs and minicamp, Butler received a large amount of first-team reps playing on the outside opposite Terrance Williams.

The Cowboys traded for Butler after Bryant was injured in the season opener.

Although Butler showed glimpses of his upside, a nagging hamstring injury caused him to miss half the season and significantly limited his practice time with Tony Romo.

"If I stay healthy, I feel like I can do a lot of stuff for this team and this offense," Butler said. "It's a big opportunity. This is a great situation for me. I'm definitely glad I'm here. It's going to be a good year."

1.) Safety Byron Jones
The Cowboys' first-round pick in 2015 spent his rookie season playing nearly every defensive back position. And while he performed well at all of them, Jones was unable to force a turnover.

Expect that to change in his new role. Jones enters his second season focused on playing only safety.

"I feel good back there," Jones said. "I feel natural, just coming down on runs and guarding tight ends. That's what we do back there, so I'm enjoying it. It's fun. I'm getting comfortable."

The move allows Jones to play downhill more often. The Cowboys are hoping that being able to see the ball come out of the quarterback's hand more frequently will increase Jones' chances at causing takeaways.

Top Bottom