Reaction score
The five best Dallas Cowboys RBs of all time, ranked: We know 1-2, who's in the 3-4-5 spots?
By SportsDayDFW.com

Editor's note: SportsDay continues its series attempting to figure out the best Dallas Cowboys players at each position. Today, we examine running backs.

The Dallas Cowboys' organization is one of great success and has an illustrious history. There have been some big names who have worn jerseys for America's Team.

Out of all of the running backs in franchise history, who was the best? That's what our panel of writers and columnists tried to determine.

Voters each named their top five running backs. A first-place vote counted for five points, second place gets four points, third place gets three points and so on.

Those who listed their top five players include Brandon George, Kate Hairopoulos, David Moore, Jon Machota, Tim Cowlishaw, Rick Gosselin and Kevin Sherrington.

Here's how they broke it down:

1. Emmitt Smith, 35 points (7 first-place votes)
2. Tony Dorsett, 28 points
3. Herschel Walker, 21 points
4. Calvin Hill, 12 points
5. Don Perkins, 7 points

Others receiving votes
DeMarco Murray, 2 points

The rundown
George: Top 3 on this list were as dominant as any RB could be in their prime.
Hairopoulos: Study up, Zeke.
Moore: How can NFL all-time rushing leader and winner of Dancing with the Stars not top the list?
Machota: Too early to put Ezekiel Elliott in the top 5? OK, I'll leave him out. He'll be there soon enough.
Cowlishaw: Dorsett entered league with more fanfare, Smith left with it.
Gosselin: When the Cowboys run the ball, as they did with Smith and Dorsett, they win Super Bowls.
Sherrington: Emmitt was perfect RB for Cowboys of his era: Tough, durable, ball control.

Reaction score
Emmitt, the greatest RB in football history, is the easy number 1 on this list. That's no disrespect to Tony Dorsett who himself produced a legendary career with Dallas.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
6-10:

Barber
Murray
D. Thomas (on pure ability)
Garrison
JJ

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
No love for Newhouse? (who technically was a FB I suppose but he ran the ball a decent amount in the 70's)

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
yeah, he played both positions. my guess is DMN is making a separate ranking for FBs.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Walker#3? In his prime he was here 49 games and ran for a little over 3000 yards. I know he was surrounded by trash, but Don Perkins had a bigger impact when he was here IMO.

bvhawkeye

In the Rotation
Reaction score
Walker#3? In his prime he was here 49 games and ran for a little over 3000 yards. I know he was surrounded by trash, but Don Perkins had a bigger impact when he was here IMO.

Totally agree, Walker got a high ranking based upon his time in USFL and Georgia.
Does not deserve to be in the mix

onlyonenow

In the Rotation
Reaction score
bluntly speaking I would put on what he did while here Duane Thomas at 3. His 1970 and 1971 seasons were very impressive and he stepped it up down the stretch in both years. Sadly his head was all messed up. He truly had the talent to be a HOF and was on that road when he messed it up. Garrison was very under rated and I would put Reeves before Murray.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Troy Hambrick anyone? Didn't he have a 200+ yard game against Washington?

Tommy Agee?

Top Bottom