NoMoRedJ

UDFA
Reaction score
Lets just assume Garrett were gone and we had to find a replacement. Who that would be available would you want?

Oh, and "anybody" is not an answer :biggrin

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
The guy I would like for them to bring in will never happen. Jerry would not give him the control he'd want. Jim Harbaugh.

Reaction score
I would like to give Bruce Arians a look and see if he's available to be swayed.

But this all would probably hinge on Jerry loosening his grip over personnel decisions, and we all know that shit ain't happening.

Iamtdg

Reaction score
That's the thing, any coach worth his salt isn't going to come here to get undermined by Jerry. It's a fantasy to wish it could happen.

Reaction score
Ken Norton Jr.

Josh McDaniels

Todd Haley.

I really like the idea of Eberflus taking over DC when Marinellis contract expires in two years.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I hate to say this but it wouldnt shock me if Art Briles was on Jerry's short list. I think it would be a disasterous hire.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
The guy I would like for them to bring in will never happen. Jerry would not give him the control he'd want. Jim Harbaugh.

That's my #1 choice as well. I just don't see him leaving Michigan for 3 to 5 years. I definitely think he returns to the NFL though.

I hate to say this but it wouldnt shock me if Art Briles was on Jerry's short list. I think it would be a disasterous hire.
I could see that. I posted a few weeks back I could see him bringing Briles into run the offense and help Garrett learn how to be a head coach.

Last edited:

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I really like the idea of Eberflus taking over DC when Marinellis contract expires in two years.

Why? What has he done that makes you think he's legit?

I don't want anyone who currently has anything to do with this defense.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I could see that. I posted a few weeks back I could see him bringing Briles into run the offense and help Garrett learn how to be a head coach.
Briles is shady enough that he'd probably sabotage Garrett to get the job for himself.

Which would be great karma.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
My choices would be Jon Gruden or Urban Meyer. Needs to be a super A type who will put Jerry in the corner. Otherwise, it's the same crap.

I'd love to see Gruden or Meyer hire Gus Bradley as the DC, assuming Jacksonville gives up on him as HC.

Reaction score
Everyone saying it has to be a top notch guy to work here is wrong imo.

It just needs to be a really for real head coach. Someone with a feel for the game. Who understands momentum. Who will take calculated risks. Who has a feel for the team, can motivate guys, and get the entire team to fight for him. Who can construct creative game plans and put players in a position to win.

All of those are things Garrett can not do. At all.

Just think back over the past 6 years how many games we've lost due to Garretts pathetic game plans, gutless in game decisions, inability to make adjustments, and complete lack of situational awareness.

Give me a coach who has climbed through the ranks. A former graduate assistant or offensive/defensive quality control guy when he came in. Learned how to spot tendencies and research opponents. Climbed the ranks through decades of training and experience. Knows the NFL and how to deal with NFL players.

Give me someone who meets that relatively simple criteria and it's an immediate and drastic improvement over what we currently have.

Reaction score
Why? What has he done that makes you think he's legit?

I don't want anyone who currently has anything to do with this defense.

So, the way I see it, a good DC should be able to manage many schemes. Eberflus helped organize and execute the Ryan 3-4 which is a very eclectic scheme and the LBs are almost the most important part because of the intricate or chaotic rush patterns the LBs have. The Ryan 3-4 has it's roots in the Buddy Ryan 46 which means it's a heavy pressure philosophy on the LOS. But then with Kiffin and Marinelli, Eberflus's LB coaching role has expanded to more of the coverage roles on passes and flow to the ball on runs. If you are a fan of Zimmer, this is almost the inverse path that Zimmer had, starting with a position coach on a 4-3, then had to learn the Parcells 3-4 and moved on to DC and HC.
But if the main complaint against the Cowboys defense is lack of turnovers, it's really not coming from the LBs. In 3/5 years, one of the LBs (twice Lee and once Bruce Carter) has led the team in interceptions. The LBs generally are at the top in tackles, tackles for loss and they generally get sacks as well (Lee, McClain and Hitchens accounted for 6.5 of the pathetic 31 last year). Generally speaking it's the lack of DL power and lack of DB dexterity over the Eberflus years, not the versatile LBs that are the problem. Anthony Spencer as an OLB led the Cowboys in tackles during the Ryan/Eberflus years.
Yes, I wouldn't want Dallas to keep any from this current defense, except Eberflus.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Everyone saying it has to be a top notch guy to work here is wrong imo.

It just needs to be a really for real head coach. Someone with a feel for the game. Who understands momentum. Who will take calculated risks. Who has a feel for the team, can motivate guys, and get the entire team to fight for him. Who can construct creative game plans and put players in a position to win.

All of those are things Garrett can not do. At all.

Just think back over the past 6 years how many games we've lost due to Garretts pathetic game plans, gutless in game decisions, inability to make adjustments, and complete lack of situational awareness.

Give me a coach who has climbed through the ranks. A former graduate assistant or offensive/defensive quality control guy when he came in. Learned how to spot tendencies and research opponents. Climbed the ranks through decades of training and experience. Knows the NFL and how to deal with NFL players.

Give me someone who meets that relatively simple criteria and it's an immediate and drastic improvement over what we currently have.

All of that's great if not for the Jerry factor.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Dennis Thurman has been quietly making a name for himself as a DC.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
So, the way I see it, a good DC should be able to manage many schemes. Eberflus helped organize and execute the Ryan 3-4 which is a very eclectic scheme and the LBs are almost the most important part because of the intricate or chaotic rush patterns the LBs have. The Ryan 3-4 has it's roots in the Buddy Ryan 46 which means it's a heavy pressure philosophy on the LOS. But then with Kiffin and Marinelli, Eberflus's LB coaching role has expanded to more of the coverage roles on passes and flow to the ball on runs. If you are a fan of Zimmer, this is almost the inverse path that Zimmer had, starting with a position coach on a 4-3, then had to learn the Parcells 3-4 and moved on to DC and HC.
But if the main complaint against the Cowboys defense is lack of turnovers, it's really not coming from the LBs. In 3/5 years, one of the LBs (twice Lee and once Bruce Carter) has led the team in interceptions. The LBs generally are at the top in tackles, tackles for loss and they generally get sacks as well (Lee, McClain and Hitchens accounted for 6.5 of the pathetic 31 last year). Generally speaking it's the lack of DL power and lack of DB dexterity over the Eberflus years, not the versatile LBs that are the problem. Anthony Spencer as an OLB led the Cowboys in tackles during the Ryan/Eberflus years.
Yes, I wouldn't want Dallas to keep any from this current defense, except Eberflus.

Since he's been here not once have I thought those linebackers look great or wow, they have really improved. He is like Garrett, the idea of him is good. Nothing he has actually done has made me think he is someone to hold onto. Replace them all.

Top Bottom