Rynie

In the Rotation
Reaction score
Was it 2012, or 2013 when we had the 32nd ranked defense? Yeah, I think we are definitely going to be in the bottom 10. No Gregory 4 games, although I'm not too sure he'll ever contribute much due to being undersized, no Lawrence 4 games(always seems like he gets good, then immediate setbeck), no McClain for 10 games, and I think we can all safely assume Lee will be missing games. So, as much as a fucktard RoMac is, we desperately NEED him.

On top of that, we will have another injury or two, just because it happens every year. The middle of our D-line was a joke all season. While Thornton is an upgrade (presumably), how is he against the run? I think Scandrick back definitely makes our secondary better, but once again our line will suck.

Lastly, I think Marinelli is overrated. Yeah, I said it. Just like Garrett, I don't think he's very creative, and the guy absolutely REFUSES to blitz. The single game we won without Romo, we blitzed a lot, and I think that really helped us win, even though Jackson gifted us the ball on the 10 with that return fumble. We wouldn't have been in position for that TD to win without all the pressure we put on Cousins.

Opinions?

Reaction score
Isn't marinelli good for blitzing corners?

Also I think moving Jones to FS would improve the defense significantly. Or improve it from what it would be with him at CB.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
won't matter. Elliott and our ball control offense will keep our defense off the field. that's what they told me.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
This all reminds me of a couple years ago when the Zone assured everyone it was far better to build an incredible offense even if your neglected defense was terrible than to live with a very good offense and spend some resources on defense.

Surely they weren't wrong?

Reaction score
The defense will suck, but probably not to the epic levels of a few years ago.

Reaction score
I thought Marinelli pulled the blood from the stone last year. He had very little to work with - which I still don't understand why players like Hayden, or Wilcox, or Jack Crawford are considered to be advantages (why else would they be employed) - but Marinelli somehow had 9 games where Marinelli defense held their opponent to 19 points or less and Dallas only won 4 of those games. They went into OT against the Saints tied 20-20. Three TDs a game is really not much to ask from the offense or even 2 TDs and 2-3 FGs.

The 3-4 look that Marinelli tried against the Patriots seemed to be working but Brady figured it out. Marinelli sent corner blitzes quite a bit but his DBs just don't have the speed. I still think that Marinelli is just given scraps to work with and somehow he needs to see what the other team is doing and use the players he has to attack.

A lot of times it was the right idea but the wrong player. Blitzing Barry Church is putting a rowboat in a hydroplane race. Marinelli saw the flaw in the opposition's offense and called for the blitz but Barry can't get around the corner or shoot into the backfield. Garrett does this stuff all the time, calling for Martellus Bennett to run a bubble route, Patrick Crayton running a fly route, Terrance Williams running any route that requires him to reach or jump, or Joseph Randle running something meant for straight line speed but Garrett just calls the play without regard for who is running them.

Marinelli has to do the same.

Rynie

In the Rotation
Reaction score
Check with your sources on this, then get back to us.

Lol. He's a realist. He thinks they are going to suck as well. What's funny is we were both rooting for a loss against the Bills last year, because the season was well over.

Nice burn, BTW.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
It's going to suck bad. The ball control offense is going to help but teams will be able to score on this unit quickly.

The offense is going to have an immense amount of pressure on them and very little rest.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I see exactly one upgrade on defense, that being Thornton. Other than that, hot knife meet butter.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I see exactly one upgrade on defense, that being Thornton. Other than that, hot knife meet butter.

Byron Jones is going to be pretty good at safety, and I feel confident he is a significant upgrade over both Wilcox and Church

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
And IF and I mean a BIG if, the offense can put scoring pressure on the opponents, the D will likely be getting some turnovers.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Byron Jones is a hopeful upgrade over any free safety we used last year. How can he not be?

A healthy Scandrick is an upgrade.

Thornton is a pretty big upgrade over Hayden.

Whoever plays MLB will be a downgrade from Reliable Rolando McClain.

Whoever starts the first 4 games are downgrades from Lawrence and Gregory, especially as pass rushers.

Claiborne is unreliable, Carr is unremarkable, and Wilber is a big ol zero. Whoever the other safety is sucks too.

Hopefully, Crawford bounces back and the unbelievable faith this FO had in Benson Mayowa is rewarded. Tapper and Collins might be decent rotation guys.

Iamtdg

Reaction score
Byron Jones is a hopeful upgrade over any free safety we used last year. How can he not be?

A healthy Scandrick is an upgrade.

Thornton is a pretty big upgrade over Hayden.

Whoever plays MLB will be a downgrade from Reliable Rolando McClain.

Whoever starts the first 4 games are downgrades from Lawrence and Gregory, especially as pass rushers.

Claiborne is unreliable, Carr is unremarkable, and Wilber is a big ol zero. Whoever the other safety is sucks too.

Hopefully, Crawford bounces back and the unbelievable faith this FO had in Benson Mayowa is rewarded. Tapper and Collins might be decent rotation guys.

Gotta have hopes for Ryan Russell, too.

SixisBetter

Anywhere on the line.
Reaction score
We're going to have some issues,that's for sure.
It's not unreasonable to think we could have a huge edge in TOP and still get the snot beat out of us.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I'm still wait and see on Byron Jones, wasnt overly impressed at corner. If as a safety he can eliminate the opposing TEs and WRs who have torched the secondary down the seems for years, then yes he is an upgrade.

Top Bottom