Reaction score
By Charean Williams
cjwilliams@star-telegram.com

IRVING —

Dallas Cowboys cornerback Morris Claiborne frequently watches game film from his final season at LSU. It’s to remind himself of his capabilities.

Claiborne enters his fifth NFL season still trying to put it all together.

“I just need to prove to myself that I can go out and make plays,” Claiborne said. “It hasn’t happened for me, but I feel like it’s going to happen when it happens. I’m pushing the issue.”

Claiborne, the sixth overall draft choice in 2012, admits he’s tired of answering the same questions.

“When y’all come talk to me, I want y’all to say, ‘That was a nice pick.’ ‘Oh, you made this play.’ ‘How does it feel to be going to the Pro Bowl?’ ‘How does it feel to be going to the Super Bowl?’ ” Claiborne said.

“Those are the questions I want. I’m ready to take on that task, and I know the coaches expect a lot from me. I know I expect a lot from myself. Nothing less. I have some high goals this year, and I’m going to try to do everything it takes to get there.”

Claiborne has missed 24 of a possible 64 games in his career with injuries. He has missed much of his four training camps and most of the team’s preseason games.

As if right on cue, a tight hamstring prevented Claiborne from finishing a strong off-season. He sat out team drills during the three-day minicamp in mid-June.

“I’ve been in some tough situations with injuries since my time here,” Claiborne said, “and hopefully this is the year I put everything behind me.”

Absent the injuries, Claiborne insists he would have lived up to expectations by now. Instead, he continues to hear questions about his absence of big plays.

He has only three interceptions and 21 passes defensed in four seasons.

“The more he can practice, the better he gets,” defensive coordinator Rod Marinelli said. “I think it’s his time. … We’ll see.”

Claiborne found a soft market when he entered free agency in the off-season. The Minnesota Vikings were among the handful of teams that expressed some interest in Claiborne.

Claiborne chose to stay with the Cowboys, signing a one-year, $3 million deal that includes a $500,000 signing bonus and a $1.25 million base. He could make another $750,000 in incentives.

“Mo’s done a good job throughout his career working through injuries and getting himself ready to play when he hasn’t had enough preparation, but he’s worked hard to come back,” Cowboys coach Jason Garrett said. “... I do believe he’s getting better and better. He just needs to play more and more, and I think we’ll see his growth.”

The Cowboys had Brandon Carr and Claiborne swap sides during the off-season program, with Claiborne moving from right corner to left. They hope it revives the careers of Carr and Claiborne, both of whom are scheduled to become free agents in 2017.

“He is at a point in his career right now where he can benefit from playing on that left side and make some plays over there,” Carr said of Claiborne.

Claiborne, 26, has time to prove the Cowboys right. Or maybe prove to himself that his final two seasons at LSU, when he had 11 interceptions and nine pass breakups, weren’t a fluke.

“I don’t feel like I need to prove anything to anyone. I just need to prove it to myself,” Claiborne said. “I don’t really care what other people think or say.”

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Claiborne said:
I just need to prove to myself that I can go out and make plays
:facepalm Corner requires maybe the most confidence and self-belief of any position on the field and this guy is saying this in his fifth year? And we just brought him back?

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
If you would have told me that Wilcox, Church, Carr, and Claiborne would all be returning in 2016, I would have said you are stupid.

Then, I would have remembered our leadership structure.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
If you would have told me that Wilcox, Church, Carr, and Claiborne would all be returning in 2016, I would have said you are stupid.

Then, I would have remembered our leadership structure.

which is why they're not releasing McClain despite him repeatedly playing them for fools and making a mockery of the RKG mantra. if you have ability and fill a need, you're staying.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
His tools are average and he isnt bright. Complete liability versus the run, maybe one of the worst tacklers I ever saw. If they didnt have so much invested he should be long gone.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
and maybe, just maybe, you don't trade up to pick number 6 to draft a guy you never met or spoke with.

Iamtdg

Reaction score
which is why they're not releasing McClain despite him repeatedly playing them for fools and making a mockery of the RKG mantra. if you have ability and fill a need, you're staying.

One of the dallascowboys.com writers (can't remember which one) has already insinuated that the mentality might be that they want to keep McClain around in case of a playoff run. Just stupid.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
One of the dallascowboys.com writers (can't remember which one) has already insinuated that the mentality might be that they want to keep McClain around in case of a playoff run. Just stupid.

exactly. winning trumps integrity/character.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
So if we go 3-7 in those 10 games, will they bring him back hoping he leads us to a 6-game winning streak?

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Claiborne is just a dimwit, a numbskull. That's why the "market" for him was "soft" make that, nonexistent.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I don't want to get my hopes up but it's one of the only things that keeps me from giving up all together. Next year's defense should be minus McClain, Claiborne, Church, Carr, and Wilcox.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score

:lol I don't doubt that for a second. Classic Jerry overoptimistic/delusional thinking.

Reaction score
Dallas Cowboys cornerback Morris Claiborne frequently watches game film from his final season at LSU. It’s to remind himself of his capabilities.

"Back when when I was in an efficient system and well coached team and we played against college players week after week. Give me that and I could be Deion Sanders."

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
"Back when when I was in an efficient system and well coached team and we played against college players week after week. Give me that and I could be Deion Sanders."

Coaching was definitely a factor.

That and having Patrick Peterson, Honey Badger, and Eric Reid in the same secondary.

Top Bottom