SixisBetter

Anywhere on the line.
Reaction score
Jerry Jones is the owner and general manager of the Dallas Cowboys, one of the biggest sports franchises in all the world.
Just that alone says a lot about Jones, so how does he stack up against others in the NFL? According to USA Today, Jones is king of them all. Meaning, the Cowboys owner/GM is the league's most important person just ahead of NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell.
To make the list, USA Today recognizes Jones all his accomplishments. First, the bold move of firing legendary head coach Tom Landry in the late 80s. While Jones was "despised" for that move, he'd eventually build the 'Boys into a dynasty. But ever since that last Super Bowl win in January of 1996, the Cowboys have been searching for a return to the promised land.
Here's some more from USA Today:

The owner of the Dallas Cowboys has long maintained rank among the NFL elite – be it players, coaches or commissioner – and is USA TODAY Sports' choice atop the list of the NFL’s 100 Most Important People.
This has very little to do with football results, given the Cowboys haven’t won a Super Bowl in more than 20 years and, well, multiple general managers would have been fired during that span if not for the fact that Jones serves as his own GM.
Still, the franchise that plays at sparkling AT&T Stadium – Jerry World, it is often called – is worth $3.2 billion, according to Forbes, second to soccer juggernaut Real Madrid ($3.26 billion) among sports franchises worldwide.
Now, one of Jones' biggest goals for his club is to bring the ultimate Cowboys experience to the fans. Be it adding new features to AT&T Stadium or the building of the new world head quarters in Frisco, Jones is always innovating.
There's also Jones' impact on the Rams' move to Los Angeles. Jones was very influential in that move helping Rams owner Stan Kroenke. Next on the list for Jones is getting the Raiders to Las Vegas.
If Jones is the most important person in the NFL today, that probably won't change for a long time. A fourth Super Bowl could eventually put him up there as the most important person in NFL history. How would that be for a legacy?

source:247Sports

NoMoRedJ

UDFA
Reaction score
Of course he is when it comes to money. 31 other owners have done well because of Jerry.

SixisBetter

Anywhere on the line.
Reaction score
Here's the USA Today piece.In long form it's list for the NFL and others

1. Jerry Jones Here’s what can happen when a man risks his entire fortune to realize a dream of owning an NFL team: He instantly becomes the most despised man in Texas for firing legendary coachTom Landry.But then with the help of a former college roommate (Jimmy Johnson), his fortunes turn, and he finds Super Bowl gushers. He redefines the sports marketing game and transforms a money-sucking stadium into a profit center. Then he builds a new palace.He generates a boatload of money with the most visible franchise in the NFL – and along the way becomes the ultimate game-changer at the heart of soaring league revenues.He becomes the Jerry Jones of his wildest dreams.
636026307923851039-USATSI-9019567.jpg
Cowboys owner Jerry Jones is No. 1 on our list of the NFL's most important people.
(Photo: Timothy T. Ludwig, USA TODAY Sports)
The owner of the Dallas Cowboys has long maintained rank among the NFL elite – be it players, coaches or commissioner – and is USA TODAY Sports' choice atop the list of the NFL’s 100 Most Important People.

This has very little to do with football results, given the Cowboys haven’t won a Super Bowl in more than 20 years and, well, multiple general managers would have been fired during that span if not for the fact that Jones serves as his own GM.
Still, the franchise that plays at sparkling AT&T Stadium– Jerry World, it is often called – is worth $3.2 billion, according to Forbes, second to soccer juggernaut Real Madrid ($3.26 billion) among sports franchises worldwide.
A sparkling new team headquarters – dubbed "The Star" – is set to open in August.
Yet Jones’ impact goes far beyond being a look-at-how-I’ve-done-it model.
No owner was more influential in pushing others to sign off on the Los Angeles Rams' stadium deal in Inglewood, Calif. – rather than a Carson deal for the San Diego Chargers andOakland Raiders that was backed by a lot of “old school” owners. Jones was sold on Rams owner Stan Kroenke’s grand plan for solving the NFL’s conundrum in the nation’s second-largest market.
It was the same type of big-picture thinking Jones employed during the 1990s, when he spearheaded a new philosophy for the broadcast committee in selling the NFL’s network TV package – which is shared by all 32 teams – that bucked the traditional bidding process and resulted in then-fledgling Fox entering the game … and providing the impetus to blow the lid off the previous deal.
And you can bet that Jones will be in the middle of the next big NFL deal. He’s already sent signals that he’ll back a potential move to Las Vegas by the Oakland Raiders.
Jones never rests in seeking ideas to up the ante – which is why he’s so important to the NFL.
— Jarrett Bell

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Should get two busts in Hall of Fame...

Owner and GM

Please list some, let's say 10, of GM Jerry Jones' Hall of Fame roster moves. For argument's sake, try your best to exclude any players from when Jimmy Johnson was head coach and had complete control of personnel written into his contract.

I'll spot you one.

1. Drafted Larry Allen out of Sonoma State in the 2nd round.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Please list some, let's say 10, of GM Jerry Jones' Hall of Fame roster moves. For argument's sake, try your best to exclude any players from when Jimmy Johnson was head coach and had complete control of personnel written into his contract.

I'll spot you one.

Demarcus Ware is another one. Bringing in Deion and TO weren't HOF roster moves in my opinion but Deion is a HOF'er and TO will be a HOF'er. He hired both Jimmy and Parcells, those are HOF moves, well one is but Parcells is a HOF coach.

That's about all I can think of right now that I would give him some credit or majority credit for. Dez and Zeke could be two other HOF moves but they have a long way to go before that's decided.

Reaction score

Owner and GM

You'd get into the troll hall of fame if you weren't such a blatant troll.

Owner, yes he should be in the Hall of Fame.

Trying to claim he's even an okay GM - let alone HOF worthy one, well you're just proving what a fucking ****** you are.

Iamtdg

Reaction score
Demarcus Ware is another one. Bringing in Deion and TO weren't HOF roster moves in my opinion but Deion is a HOF'er and TO will be a HOF'er. He hired both Jimmy and Parcells, those are HOF moves, well one is but Parcells is a HOF coach.

That's about all I can think of right now that I would give him some credit or majority credit for. Dez and Zeke could be two other HOF moves but they have a long way to go before that's decided.

Deion was as much Jimmy as Jerry. Parcells was a desperation move to get the fans off his ass. I will give Jerry TO and Ware, but that's about it.

Iamtdg

Reaction score

I'll spot you one.

5countem5 said:

Owner and GM

How the hell did CMD quote this before the special child posted it? Timestamp shows CMD's post as 4 minutes before his.

SixisBetter

Anywhere on the line.
Reaction score
How the hell did CMD quote this before the special child posted it? Timestamp shows CMD's post as 4 minutes before his.

He posted the same crap three times,so I deleted two of them.

NoMoRedJ

UDFA
Reaction score
You guys are forgetting Quincy Carter. Jerry showed how innovative and ahead of the times he was with that one. He's a visionary! The league didnt catch up on that idea till years later. :laugh3

Rynie

In the Rotation
Reaction score
my boy got me a helmet signed to me from Jerry Jones yesterday. He definitely knows how to troll me. Lol

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
my boy got me a helmet signed to me from Jerry Jones yesterday. He definitely knows how to troll me. Lol

Hey man, who are you and why are fuzzy numbnuts, hostile and their ilk so bent out shape because I passed along your assertion that Gregory was abou to be suspended?

You would think I called their mothers a whore or something, their reactions are borderline insane

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Deion was as much Jimmy as Jerry. Parcells was a desperation move to get the fans off his ass. I will give Jerry TO and Ware, but that's about it.

Jimmy was already gone by the time Deion got to Dallas.

Top Bottom