Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I well remember the "Porkchop Bowl" coined and arranged by none other than the recently (At that time) retired Tex Schramm. Ryan had almost died that week, choking on a pork chop at dinner and one of his assistants had to perform the Heimlich Maneuver on him. That Sunday there we all were, in Texas Stadium throwing pork chops, ham, bacon and other assorted meat products at the Eagles bench in honor of that fatass maybe choking on it and croaking right there.

God, what fun days the early 90s were.

Reaction score
He was good for the game, as a character. And his defenses we're fierce.

In fact, I think his 1993 Eagles team might've been a pretty tough hurdle for Dallas to get over on the way to the Super Bowl if Randle Cunningham didn't break his leg.

Bay10

Practice Squad
Reaction score
I just heard Buddy never won a playoff game as HC of the eagles. I could have sworn they won a few with him.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
In fact, I think his 1993 Eagles team might've been a pretty tough hurdle for Dallas to get over on the way to the Super Bowl if Randle Cunningham didn't break his leg.
Kotite was already the Eagles coach by 1992, 1993. In fact the 1990 season was Ryan's last one in Philly. 1991 was the season they lost Cunningham.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I hated that man from that day forward. Add to that the Bounty Bowl, and Ryan was the most hated coach ever, for me.
I hated him all the way back to the 85 Bears, when he basically divided the team against Iron Mike. Wasn't a Bears fan but was still a Ditka fan. Dude had zero class, and couldn't even spell "class" if you spotted him the "ass." Which he was.

Reaction score
Ryan had a heck of a career. He was a big part of the Jets winning the Super Bowl. He coached the Vikings' remarkably effective DL for several years in the 70's. Then the 46 defense in Chicago. After the Eagles, had a good year with the Oilers.

He was also a royal jerk and that's what prevented him from being one of the great coaches. Too much ego to work well with others. Too much ego to be objective.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
He was good for the game, as a character. And his defenses we're fierce.

and if Jerome Brown hadn't died the previous year

SixisBetter

Anywhere on the line.
Reaction score
I read a what think was a Peter King piece talking to the Ryan Bros and what is like finally getting to work together,their dad,how many sides of beef they had to keep to feed themselves,etc.So I knew Buddy was alive,but not in good shape.
Tough for his family,but I won't miss him,not even a little.

Last edited:

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
I will always remember him for the Bounty Bowl and for that punch he threw at Kevin Gilbride when they were with the Eagles.

Top Bottom