Reaction score
By Jon Machota , Staff Writer Contact Jon Machota on Twitter: @jonmachota

Last year at this time, the Cowboys didn't have very good wide receiver depth. They made valuable additions last September by signing Vince Mayle before Week 1 and trading for Brice Butler after Dez Bryant was injured in the season opener.

Now, they have what Derek Dooley calls "probably the deepest" group "top-to-bottom" since he became wide receivers coach in 2013.

Cole Beasley agrees.

"We've had some good groups," Beasley said, "but this one has been a really good one, just as far as obviously talent, but guys knowing what to do and really studying and taking it upon themselves to learn everything."

The rest of the receiving corps consists of Terrance Williams, Lucky Whitehead, Devin Street, Rodney Smith, Chris Brown, Andy Jones and Ed Eagan. The Cowboys will likely keep five of the 11 when the roster is trimmed to 53. Bryant, Williams, Beasley, Butler and Whitehead are the front-runners.

If all five are able to stay healthy, the group could benefit as a whole from each player's skill set.

"We all do something different," Beasley said. "T-Dub's game is different from what I do, and Dez's is different from what me and T-Dub do. Dez can do things I can't do, and I can do things that Dez can't do, so I feel like we work together very well. We got different guys that do different things and it opens up a lot."

Beasley is coming of a career year. He set personal bests in receptions (52), receiving yards (536) and touchdowns (5) in 2015.

The 27-year-old recently said he followed that up with the best offseason of his four-year career.

"I think this is the best offseason I've had just as far as preparing myself for the season," Beasley said. "That just came with growth and taking care of my body, kind of developing more of a routine than I have in the past.

"Once you hit a certain age, you can't just get up and do it anymore. You got to find ways to recover. I learned that once I hit 26, it changed a little bit for me."

Several of the Cowboys wide receivers enjoy playing basketball in their free time. Word on the street is that Beasley, Bryant and Mayle are all pretty good.

How would Beasley rank them?

"Well, I'm No. 1. Off top, that's what I think," he said. "I haven't seen everybody play, though. I heard Vince Mayle can play too, so I can't really rank them all the way through. But just going off that, I'd say me, Vince and Dez are the top three. But I haven't even seen Vince play. Dez told me that he could ball, so I'll stick with his word."

5countem5

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Zeke and Morris will help this group immensely.

They may not be the best, but they should perform very well.

Reaction score
Love Dez. Beasley is the man in space. The rest I'm not sold on.

I'm always a doubter when it comes to young receivers. Years ago spagnola wrote a fluff piece about how much raw talent we had at wr with the likes of Ken Yon Rambo, Chris Brazzell, Reggie Swinton etc.

Also, Dooley raved about Street last year.

I'm a Tennessee Vols fan, and Dooley failed miserably there, so behind Wade Wilson he's the one assistant I have the least confidence in.

Reaction score
Love Dez. Beasley is the man in space. The rest I'm not sold on.

I'm always a doubter when it comes to young receivers. Years ago spagnola wrote a fluff piece about how much raw talent we had at wr with the likes of Ken Yon Rambo, Chris Brazzell, Reggie Swinton etc.

Also, Dooley raved about Street last year.

I'm a Tennessee Vols fan, and Dooley failed miserably there, so behind Wade Wilson he's the one assistant I have the least confidence in.

This is one of those cases where the position coach is sinecurism at best. There is no actual function or need for Dooley or Wade Wilson. The Garrett offensive playbook based on the Garrett family two areas of "expertise": the QB and the WRs. From Jim to Judd to the football camps are heavily focused on WR skills. Jason is Tonys QB coach and Jason's playbook regulates the WRs. Remember last year when Terrance Williams finally jumped up for a pass in coverage and caught a TD (still a body catch and he did not grab it, he trapped it against his body)? Who was the one who influenced the jump? Dooley? No, Jason took him aside and basically told him how to play his position.

Rightly so, though. Williams was a Jason pick and Williams is largely guarded from scrutiny. In 2014, Beasley was targeted 48 times and caught 36. He runs a 4.49/40 and he is faster and more versatile in space than Terrance but somehow Terrance who does not high point, and is not faster than Beasley and was targeted 74 times and caught 37 in 2014, continues to play a role that he cannot play and no one says anything other than "he's really improving in the offseason" (why would he need such statements unless he is still very undeveloped) and "he needs to make more plays when Dez isn't out there" (he averages about 2 catches a game for a #2WR in a pass first offense).

The Garrett's are WR and QB family and that's what the playbook and the restrictions on the plays stem from. Callahan had the freedom and Jerry's blessing to install a zone blocking running scheme that doesn't actually fit the Garrett offense but it doesn't matter because Jason is not concerned with the running game. And Jason really has no interest or function with the defense either. The proof of this is the effectiveness of the coaches: Marinellis runs his defense and they respond directly to his strategies and his coaching. Callahan and Pollack had their O-line responding directly to them and their coaching (until Callahan left and Linehan put Loney in with Pollack). Dooley and Wilson do not coach and strategize their players, because the QB and Receiving group are Jason's.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Typical offseason fluff piece. What's really different from previous years? It's still Dez, TWill, and Beasley.

If we'd added a relatively high draft pick or signed a proven vet FA, this would make a lot more sense. But we didn't.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Zeke and Morris will help this group immensely.
Zeke, only if he is actually used. It's still quite open in my mind that Ginger will commit to a dominating run game like he was forced to do in 2014.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Typical offseason fluff piece. What's really different from previous years? It's still Dez, TWill, and Beasley.

If we'd added a relatively high draft pick or signed a proven vet FA, this would make a lot more sense. But we didn't.
Would be different if there was some modicum of speed in the WR group too.

5countem5

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Zeke, only if he is actually used. It's still quite open in my mind that Ginger will commit to a dominating run game like he was forced to do in 2014.

And just how was he "forced" to do it in 2014? Oh that it was working? Yeah, I guess that would force you to do it.

He, like everyone else, runs when they can. When they can't , he has them throw. Thats whats called just good coaching.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
And just how was he "forced" to do it in 2014?
They ran the ball a lot, completely out of character, due to Tony's fresh off surgery, back. They've even said so. It's a matter of record.

Ginger doesn't want to feature a dominant run game. It's anathema to him.
He, like everyone else, runs when they can.
No one's this stupid. Drop the act.

5countem5

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Yeah, a real threat! Puh-leeze.

Sorry I thought you said "Would be different if there was some modicum of speed in the WR group too.". And I mentioned him since he is "in that group".

Oh wait, that is what you said...

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Sorry I thought you said "Would be different if there was some modicum of speed in the WR group too.". And I mentioned him since he is "in that group".

Oh wait, that is what you said...
"Modicum" meter passed, still irrelevant since he can't catch the fucking ball. He's no threat. We don't have a deep threat.

5countem5

Practice Squad
Reaction score
"Modicum" meter passed, still irrelevant since he can't catch the fucking ball. He's no threat. We don't have a deep threat.

Disagree, think you may see him cutting into Williams and Beasley time. Lucky is even faster- does he count? He is "in that group" too.

SixisBetter

Anywhere on the line.
Reaction score
Disagree, think you may see him cutting into Williams and Beasley time.

Yeah I got high hopes for Butler and Whitehead.Whether that hope is misplaced or not I don't know.
They're both a little raw,but no doubt they can get down the field.
Both should get plenty of chances to show their stuff in camp and preseason.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I dont see what Dooley sees. I'll go a step further, I dont trust Dez to stay healthy anymore.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I dont trust Dez to stay healthy anymore.
I fully expect him to pull a Miles Austin now, with plenty of un-xrayable flesh "injuries" like a bad hammy that never goes away until he goes to a new team - or gets a real coach.

5countem5

Practice Squad
Reaction score
I fully expect him to pull a Miles Austin now, with plenty of un-xrayable flesh "injuries" like a bad hammy that never goes away until he goes to a new team - or gets a real coach.

Have you 'aid attention to Dez, no one loves playing more. He has to be held OFF the field..

CMON MAN...

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Have you 'aid attention to Dez, no one loves playing more. He has to be held OFF the field..

CMON MAN...
Have you paid attention to who his handlers are now? Wake up America! The contract talks were hostile and Dez was NOT satisfied with the results. Neither were his handlers.

Just remember what I said, bub - as you see Dez lead the league in drops like T.O. orrrrrr be constantly "hampered by a hamstring" like Austin.

He loves to play all right - he's certainly playing you. It's a business first and foremost to these guys.

Top Bottom