Reaction score
By Jon Machota , Staff Writer Contact Jon Machota on Twitter: @jonmachota

The Cowboys didn't spend an early-round draft pick on a defensive end. They didn't make any big-splash signings at the position during free agency, either.

Benson Mayowa, Dallas' most noteworthy offseason addition, underwent arthroscopic knee surgery last week. Randy Gregory and DeMarcus Lawrence, the team's top two ends, are both looking at four-game suspensions to start the season.

A pass-rushing position already filled with question marks isn't exactly having the best offseason.

But Jerry Jones is here to explain why he still feels good about things.

"I feel good about our numbers," the Cowboys owner and general manager said last week. "We need to have as few disruptions or compromises in camp as we can get, we need all these guys out there taking reps just from the standpoint of not evaluating, but from the standpoint of getting their reps so they can come in and do a rotation when we open against the Giants."

If training camp started today, the depth at the position would largely consist of Ryan Russell, Charles Tapper and David Irving.

With the extra work they received last week, Jones said two of those three caught his eye.

"A couple guys the last couple of days [of minicamp] that have really shown some aptitude out there, wouldn't have been out there probably in [David] Irving, and possibly even [Ryan] Russell, that are getting some opportunity out there," Jones said. "In Irving's case, he looks really apt outside and looks like it might fit him a little bit naturally even as much or more as inside."

Irving has played defensive tackle, but his 6-foot-7, 285-pound frame does seem better suited rushing from the outside. In 12 games last season, the 22-year-old had a half sack and 13 tackles.

Russell, a fifth-round pick in 2015, didn't make an impact as a rookie. But throughout organized team activities and minicamp he worked with the first-team defensive line at both right and left end.

NoMoRedJ

UDFA
Reaction score
Our same GM that said Weeden threw the nicest ball he's ever seen.

So now we have some real impressive guys off the scrap heap showing their stuff. Can we bring back Shante Carver?

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
This reminds me of the time the OC during the Campo era (can't remember his name) said on Hard Knocks that the Cowboys WR's were the best group of WR's he had ever seen.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
This reminds me of the time the OC during the Campo era (can't remember his name) said on Hard Knocks that the Cowboys WR's were the best group of WR's he had ever seen.
:lol I forgot about that. Let's see, Joey Galloway, Antonio Bryant, Darnay Scott, Reggie Swinton, Kenyon Rambo.

My God Jerry is an idiot.

Whoops I misread and thought Jerry said it.

But I bet he thought it too.

Last edited:
Reaction score

Bruce Coslet, right?

Man this franchise has been so fucked up for so long.

Reaction score
True but remember that play he designed where the QB rolled right, the TE lined up outside the LOT to block, fake falls down, then gets back up and the QB finds him wide open because the entire defense followed the QB and play design to the right and dismissed the TE on the ground?

That was awesome.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Yeah, Coslet had some excellent offenses in Cincy that could pass and run with power.

He didn't do much here of course, but having Quincy and Hutch will do that to you. At least he recognized that Quincy was a moron who would never have it upstairs enough to win.

SixisBetter

Anywhere on the line.
Reaction score
Just for grins I went over to profootballreference and looked up guys who played in at least one game at QB during the Campo era as HC.

Aikman,Randall Cunningham,Anthony Wright,Clint Stoerner,Quincy,Ryan Leaf,Chad Hutchinson.
Aside from Troy,that's a very underwhelming list of QB talent.To be fair,Randall wasn't horrible.

I'd forgotten Troy didn't play a full 16 games in his last 3 years,and didn't win a playoff game(backed up in 98 and 99 by Garrett).

5countem5

Practice Squad
Reaction score
I guess since you recliner jockeys weren't there, only morons would doubt it...

bvhawkeye

In the Rotation
Reaction score
I guess since you recliner jockeys weren't there, only morons would doubt it...

Didn't see you there either. But judging by Jerry's inability to draft anyone worth a shit past the 3rd round, my guess is he's pumping bullshit to get the idiot fans riled up about this season.

He must have got you huh?

Reaction score
Didn't see you there either. But judging by Jerry's inability to draft anyone worth a shit past the 3rd round, my guess is he's pumping bullshit to get the idiot fans riled up about this season.

He must have got you huh?

Only three of those guys were taken past the third round. Two of them 11 years ago. The last one 9 years ago.

We suck at drafting past round one. We routinely blow second rounders. Fourth round has been a dead zone for us.

Can you argue otherwise?

5countem5

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Drafting is getting the best players you can, we know who has done best at that.

Arguing it would just make you look stupid.

Top Bottom