Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Darren McFadden cracked elbow recently in accident at home. Had surgery. Out a couple of months they say.

Cowboys' Darren McFadden undergoes elbow surgery - NFL.com

The running back apparently injured his elbow over the Memorial Day weekend and practiced last week with the injury. The Cowboys weren't made aware of the injury until Monday.

Dallas hopes McFadden will be able to return during training camp.

The injury is a setback for the running back who hoped to earn a timeshare with Elliott.

After an injury-riddled start to his NFL career, McFadden appeared in 32 straight regular season games over the past two seasons. In his first year in Dallas last season, the 28-year-old earned the workhorse gig, galloping for 1,089 yards and three rushing touchdowns.

The Cowboys are deep at the position after signing Alfred Morris and using the No. 4 overall pick on Elliott. McFadden missing minicamp and the start of training camp will likely give Elliott more snaps as he acclimates to the NFL speed -- and a leg up in the competition.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
I still have doubts that he even makes the team. This just strengthens my belief.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I still have doubts that he even makes the team. This just strengthens my belief.

Yep, he has a fairly large guarantee if he's on the roster week one.

With Elliott and Morris, if one of those young backs ends up looking good (like our 6th rd guy) I bet McFadden is a goner.

Rynie

In the Rotation
Reaction score
I couldn't care less. He was never a difference maker.

Reaction score
Yep, he has a fairly large guarantee if he's on the roster week one.

With Elliott and Morris, if one of those young backs ends up looking good (like our 6th rd guy) I bet McFadden is a goner.

Feel like Darius Jackson has a chance for the physical short yardage and grinding time off the clock. As much as he was a sixth round pick and at a small losing school he had 16 TDs in a season that he basically manufactured himself and falls forward. But his combination of size and speed is freaky and would be tough to keep untested.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Feel like Darius Jackson has a chance for the physical short yardage and grinding time off the clock. As much as he was a sixth round pick and at a small losing school he had 16 TDs in a season that he basically manufactured himself and falls forward. But his combination of size and speed is freaky and would be tough to keep untested.
I can't stand the "philosophy" of bringing a back in for spot, situational run duty as Ginger uses it. When you switch to the "power back" you're telegraphing your intent, especially if the guy can't do anything else.

The main reason a Tony Dorsett, Hershel Walker and Emmitt Smith worked, is he could do it all and didn't have to come out. The Bill Romanowskis of the world would tackle Emmitt on play action, drawing a flag. I would much rather have the 3 down back who is versatile and dangerous in all situations than the "power back" who you bring in for short yardage. They stuffed Christine Michael every time he got the ball last year, mainly because he is only in there on the short yardage situation.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score

I think Jackson has a great shot to make the team. They're trying him out as the kick/punt returner. I believe he wins that job easy.

The Cowboys seem hell bent on keeping Dunbar. So if Jackson makes the team because of ST then McFadden seems like the odd man out. Plus factor in DMC's roster bonus and new injury. I don't see how he makes the team. The only thing that may save him is the fact that Dunbar will likely start the season on the PUP list. That would mean keeping 5 RB's with none being a FB.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
They stuffed Christine Michael every time he got the ball last year, mainly because he is only in there on the short yardage situation.

Eh.

How many 1000's of times did Emmitt Smith run the ball when people knew we were going to run, and they didn't stop him?

Even recently with Demarco Murray. There were times we were obviously going to run, teams knew it and didn't stop it.

Michael just sucked here.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
So what
He fulfilled his purpose as a bridge player to get us to Elliott

He did his part last season and did it well enough.

I'm pretty sure we were all surprised that he actually made it the entire last season without an injury

Let him ride the pine and collect his $2.6 mill then dump him at the end of the season

I just wish we would have traded him for a 5-6 round pick while we still had the chance

We rolled the dice and hoped he'd stay healthy for another season

Well we just crapped out and lost any trade value he may have had

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
So what
He fulfilled his purpose as a bridge player to get us to Elliott

He did his part last season and did it well enough.

I'm pretty sure we were all surprised that he actually made it the entire last season without an injury

Let him ride the pine and collect his $2.6 mill then dump him at the end of the season

I just wish we would have traded him for a 5-6 round pick while we still had the chance

We rolled the dice and hoped he'd stay healthy for another season

Well we just crapped out and lost any trade value he may have had

When is the trading deadline, week 6? He'll be healthy by then. If a team is willing to give up a 6th round pick then take it. That's if he's still on the roster by then, I have my doubts.

NoMoRedJ

UDFA
Reaction score
Does anyone actually believe the stupid phone story?

Im sure Red J does since he has a special relationship with each of his players. Isnt that one of the things that makes him such a special coach who will succeed for years?

Reaction score
Kate Hairopoulos , Staff Writer Contact Kate Hairopoulos on Twitter: @kHairopoulos

The initial story that emerged about Darren McFadden breaking his right elbow in an all-out effort to save his new iPhone was phooey, it seems. Or should we say phony?

Speaking publicly about the incident for the first time, the Cowboys running back gave a different account than the one circulated by his coaches earlier this month to explain the accident that required surgery and is expected to keep him out for about two months.

McFadden told the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette that the reports were untrue. He said he was in a friend's backyard after a funeral and slipped on cement near a swimming pool.

"I just slipped down and landed on my elbow," he told the paper. "My phone was in my hand, and so people kind of put that story out."

McFadden shared his version of the incident while he was in his home state last week to attend an event with elementary and junior high school students at Little Rock Air Force Base.

Cowboys running backs coach Gary Brown said the injury occurred when McFadden tried to recover his cellphone after he nearly dropped it. Head coach Jason Garrett said the injury occurred over Memorial Day weekend at McFadden's home.

The story spawned incredulous and playful Internet memes and revived lists of peculiar injuries suffered by athletes.

Garrett later added: "It's hard to explain that. I'm sure he didn't think the choice was, 'OK, I'm going to keep the cellphone and break my elbow.' I think he probably thought he could make the play. I don't know much about it beyond that."

McFadden missed time during the second week of organized team activities that immediately followed Memorial Day because of a family matter, Cowboys officials said.

Hereturned for the final week of OTAs. At the end of the week, McFadden informed the training staff that his elbow didn't feel right. The fracture was detected in physicals before the mandatory three-day minicamp the next week.

McFadden led the Cowboys in rushing last season with 1,089 yards, but he's had a rough offseason. Dallas added running back Alfred Morris in free agency, drafted running back Ezekiel Elliott with the No. 4 overall pick and McFadden sued his one-time financial planner for $15 million.

It's possible McFadden could return during training camp, which begins in late July.

"I got a few weeks left in this brace, but other than that, my body feels good," he told the Democrat-Gazette. "I feel great, and I'm looking forward to the season. I'm ready to go."

Top Bottom