Reaction score
BY CLARENCE E. HILL JR.
chill@star-telegram.com

IRVING
Backup quarterback Kellen Moore remains a hot topic among Dallas Cowboys fan because of his inexperience and the uncertainty of whether he can win games in place of starter Tony Romo.

The team’s inability to win games without Romo was the biggest reason for their 4-12 finish last season.

The Cowboys were 3-1 with Romo and 1-11 without him after he twice fractured his collarbone.

Moore was 0-2 as a starter in place of the injured Romo, throwing four touchdowns with six interceptions for 779 yards and a quarterback rating of 71.0.

Owner Jerry Jones understands the concerns on the outside, but said he believes in Moore.

“It’s a question of judgment,” Jones said Wednesday on KRLD/015.3 FM. “Don’t ever question whether I would be doing something before I would leave us naked at backup quarterback if I thought we didn’t have one.

“Moore has shown us he has inordinate instincts. Look at his won-loss at a high level in college (Boise State). He does, at the end of the day, many things that can’t be coached. He has a natural feel for getting the ball timely and an awareness of what is coming open. I feel we have a very good chance of having an outstanding backup quarterback to Romo.

“He really knows the offense well. Our coaches have tremendous confidence in him. The players do to. I can speak for them. So I feel good at backup quarterback.”

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
This is exactly as I suspected and kept saying before all the trades made the point moot - Dallas is NOT looking for a new franchise QB, they think they already have it.

NoMoRedJ

UDFA
Reaction score
And the Weedeater threw the nicest ball Jerry had ever seen . . . . . . . . . .

How'd that workout for our backup QB? Not well, but he was somehow able to win in Houston after a couple weeks in their system while he couldnt muster a win in Dallas where he had been in our system for a couple years.

Reaction score
And the Weedeater threw the nicest ball Jerry had ever seen . . . . . . . . . .

How'd that workout for our backup QB? Not well, but he was somehow able to win in Houston after a couple weeks in their system while he couldnt muster a win in Dallas where he had been in our system for a couple years.

This was a damning indictment of Wade Wilson. I mean, everyone but Jerry knows the guy is the worst at his job in the entire league, but after the Weeden series of events he should have been fired and never heard from again.

Edit to add that everyone but Jerry and the homers at CZ knows Wilson is the worst in the league at his job.

Reaction score
We all know that if Romo goes down for any length of time in 2016, we will be scrambling to bring in a plug-in starter. Just like last year when we had to go get Cassell. Your actions will speak louder than your words Jerry.

SixisBetter

Anywhere on the line.
Reaction score
Brought to you by the same idiot who brought you Quincy Carter,Ryan Leaf,Chad Hutchinson,and Drew Henson among others.
Yeah,this should go well.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
Jerry, Chairman of the White Star Line, 1913:

"More lifeboats? Fuck that. What are the odds of it happening again?"

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Not at all what they were saying at the end of last year when that Smurf Kellen was playing catch with opposing secondaries.

Reaction score
If Jerry truly believed this, we wouldn't have been trying to trade back up for Paxton Lynch and we wouldn't have been trying to sign Matt Moore in the off season.

I'd almost guarantee Kellen isn't the back up heading into the season.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
If Jerry truly believed this, we wouldn't have been trying to trade back up for Paxton Lynch
We didn't try very hard, didn't want to give up anything worthwhile for it.

I'm telling you these fuckers believe Moore is the next Romo.

Reaction score
No they don't. This is just Jerry being the salesman here. Trying to boost the confidence of dumb fans.

We tried to get Paxton and Jerry lamented endlessly about regretting not landing him.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Yeah, there's no way they think Moore is the next Romo. Even they aren't that crazy.

They might think he's a decent backup, though, which I don't think he is.

Reaction score
I don't think he is worth a roster spot. I thought the guy might be something after what he did at Boise State, but I sure didn't see it when he put time in last season. A suitable backup is not on the team. The next franchise QB is certainly not on the team. What cost us most on offense last year? QB. What has the team done to remedy that? Jack shit. As I have said before the football gods hate Jerry, and relish when he is exposed as foolish. I am almost certain Romo goes down with injury by week 3. The football gods simply won't be able to resist to entertainment factor of Jerry repeating the exact same mistake as last year.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I don't think he is worth a roster spot. I thought the guy might be something after what he did at Boise State, but I sure didn't see it when he put time in last season. A suitable backup is not on the team. The next franchise QB is certainly not on the team. What cost us most on offense last year? QB. What has the team done to remedy that? Jack shit. As I have said before the football gods hate Jerry, and relish when he is exposed as foolish. I am almost certain Romo goes down with injury by week 3. The football gods simply won't be able to resist to entertainment factor of Jerry repeating the exact same mistake as last year.

Jerry Jones doesn't belong at GM, Garrett is not a NFL head coach, and Moore is not a viable back-up. See a theme?

NoShame

UDFA
Reaction score
Jerry does this every year.

Says dumb shit to sell the team to the fan base.

Don't put much into this.

cml750

Facepalm
Reaction score
It is not fair to judge Kellen Moore at this time. Once he leaves the Cowboys, if he gets on a team with a real coaching staff, he may very well prove to be an adequate NFL backup. When you have a joke like Garrett it is impossible to judge on these kind of things. Even Weeden managed to win when he got a team with a good staff and that was with much less time in the system.

I will say for the purpose of this thread, that Moore will not be a good answer here. With this staff we would need Tom Brady to be the back-up to succeed if Romo goes down. It always comes back to our piss poor coaching staff.

Last edited:

NoMoRedJ

UDFA
Reaction score
With this staff we would need Tom Brady to be the back-up to succeed if Romo goes down. It always comes back to our piss poor coaching staff.

I dont think this staff could figure out a way to cheat for that to happen.

I cant think of one thing this staff can do well. Except for Garrett's ability to BS, there isnt anything done well.

Reaction score
It is not fair to judge Kellen Moore at this time. Once he leaves the Cowboys, if he gets on a team with a real coaching staff, he may very well prove to be an adequate NFL backup. When you have a joke like Garrett it is impossible to judge on these kind of things. Even Weeden managed to win when he got a team with a good staff and that was with much less time in the system.

I will say for the purpose of this thread, that Moore will not be a good answer here. With this staff we would need Tom Brady to be the back-up to succeed if Romo goes down. It always comes back to our piss poor coaching staff.

This is true. Weeden looked like he couldn't lead a high school team to victory after two years with Garrett & Wilson. The moment he got that stench out of his nose a few hours away in Houston he not only looked like a QB, he lead them to wins with virtually no time in their system.

Cassel did well in fill in roles with two different teams before he got here, then looked every bit as bad as Weeden.

Moore might actually be serviceable for a real coaching staff in a backup role. We won't know till he escapes the Barnum & Jones Circus.

Top Bottom