Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Muhammad Ali Dies: 'The Greatest' Boxer Dead at 74 - ABC News

Three-time heavyweight champ Muhammad Ali, who charmed millions with his wit and confidence in the ring and inspired many more with his commitment to humanitarian causes has died, according to the family spokesman. He was 74.

"After a 32-year battle with Parkinson’s disease, Muhammad Ali has passed away at the age of 74. The three-time World Heavyweight Champion boxer died this evening,” said family spokesperson Bob Gunnell.

Ali’s funeral will take place in his hometown of Louisville, Kentucky, Gunnell said in the statement, adding "the Ali family would like to thank everyone for their thoughts, prayers, and support and asks for privacy at this time."

Ali had been hospitalized for a respiratory issue June 2. At the time, a rep said he was in fair condition.

One of the greatest fighters in the history of boxing, Ali retired in 1981 after losing to Trevor Berbick in his 61st career bout.

Soon thereafter, Ali -- who doctors said had begun showing signs of sluggishness and neurological damage in the 1970s -- began receiving treatment for Parkinson's disease.

Ali, who called himself "The Greatest," was married four times and had nine children, including daughter Laila, who also became a professional boxer. Ali and his fourth wife, Yolanda "Lonnie" Williams, had been married since 1986.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Watching the Rumble in the Jungle on ESPN Classic right now. I've never seen this before.

I know this is about Ali, but no wonder they said Foreman was legendarily strong. I only remember the 40+, fat, grill-selling Foreman, not the young one. He was a big dude. Seems like he's an inch away about 100 times from really connecting and hurting Ali, but can't quite do it.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Watching the Rumble in the Jungle on ESPN Classic right now. I've never seen this before.

I know this is about Ali, but no wonder they said Foreman was legendarily strong. I only remember the 40+, fat, grill-selling Foreman, not the young one. He was a big dude. Seems like he's an inch away about 100 times from really connecting and hurting Ali, but can't quite do it.
Ali was smart enough to know he couldn't just stand there and trade with Foreman, and his legendary speed was just about gone by this point in his career. He just saved his energy and cardio, then poured it all out at once on Foreman once he sensed George was about out of gas and had punched himself out basically.

George was sick as a dog too, and dehydrated. Just a Bad Day at Black Rock for him, so to speak. Up until he lost to Holyfield in the early 90s, this was Foreman's one and only loss.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Ali was smart enough to know he couldn't just stand there and trade with Foreman, and his legendary speed was just about gone by this point in his career. He just saved his energy and cardio, then poured it all out at once on Foreman once he sensed George was about out of gas and had punched himself out basically.

George was sick as a dog too, and dehydrated. Just a Bad Day at Black Rock for him, so to speak. Up until he lost to Holyfield in the early 90s, this was Foreman's one and only loss.

Ali used the right hand lead to keep Foreman off balance in this fight, in fact opened with it.

Top Bottom