Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
So, if results for 2016 are typical we'll see 8-8 or maybe 9-7. This of course is well below the Jones' expectations. What will happen? Will Jerry finally clean house, get rid of the clapper and most of this loserass staff, and cut ties with a bunch of players? Or will there be some other excuse like the injuries of last season? Even if there are none, or none significant.

Like, if no significant injuries and we STILL go 8-8 or 9-7, what do you think happens?

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
If we went 8-8, he might actually be gone. Maybe. If we went 9-7. I bet he'd stay and Jerry would find some excuse again. Probably tout that we improved by five whole games over the previous year.

It will be injuries again, or rookies who made mistakes but showed improvement, or something.

Here's the thing, this division has been pretty sucky in the Jason years compared to what it had been before. And we've still gone .500. Imagine if, say, the Skins kept improving and the Giants bounced back and were both good teams. We could easily go 9-7 or even 10-6 and miss the playoffs. What would Jerry do then? I'm sure nothing.

I guess what I'm saying is I think Jason would have a better chance of sticking around by going 9-7 and making the playoffs than by going 10-6 and missing them.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I guess what I'm saying is I think Jason would have a better chance of sticking around by going 9-7 and making the playoffs than by going 10-6 and missing them.
And that would almost be sell-able to the sports press and the fans. But if they REALLY think they are a 12-4 or better team with designs on the Lombardi trophy or at least a SB appearance, how can anything less be tolerated at this point?

You're right that the generational mediocrity has been somewhat masked for some, by how mediocre the rest of the division is. But for me this fact just magnifies it. Spotlights it. It's not like we're losing the division every year, to a perennial SB contender.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
But for me this fact just magnifies it. Spotlights it. It's not like we're losing the division every year, to a perennial SB contender.
No doubt about it. Of course that doesn't matter to the Jones Boys, whose primary goal is to defend their own reputations. They'd be happy with 6-10 if it got them in the playoffs, especially that home game. To them that would show how competent they are.

Back to your question, Jerry is so comfortable with this setup with familiar company man Garrett it would take another disaster year to get him canned. And I really don't expect that to happen as long as Tony is upright.

Reaction score
I think the window is closed. I think Romo lasting an entire season is slim to none and we go as he goes.

I also don't think Jason will ever get fired as long as Jerry is alive. He and his family are too entrenched within this organization. So it'll be Romo gets injured again, season goes down in flames again, and Jerry preaches about how Jason being a former quarterback in this league is the right guy to find the next QB... even though Jason can't even identify an adequate back up, let alone starter.

Basically this team is screwed.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Firing Garrett is the same as admitting he's wrong, something he's never done that I know of.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I think the window is closed. I think Romo lasting an entire season is slim to none and we go as he goes.
Really? I don't know, you might be right. But he is 36, not 39 or 40. Manning was okay until really this year when he fell off the cliff, and of course Brady is still going strong.

Just all depends on pure luck as to when and how he gets hit, I guess. And if his back holds up.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
So, if results for 2016 are typical we'll see 8-8 or maybe 9-7. This of course is well below the Jones' expectations. What will happen? Will Jerry finally clean house, get rid of the clapper and most of this loserass staff, and cut ties with a bunch of players? Or will there be some other excuse like the injuries of last season? Even if there are none, or none significant.

Like, if no significant injuries and we STILL go 8-8 or 9-7, what do you think happens?

The eternal optimist? Ha, the best we'll see is more rearrangement of the deck chairs

Reaction score

I also don't think Jason will ever get fired as long as Jerry is alive. He and his family are too entrenched within this organization. So it'll be Romo gets injured again, season goes down in flames again, and Jerry preaches about how Jason being a former quarterback in this league is the right guy to find the next QB... even though Jason can't even identify an adequate back up, let alone starter.

Basically this team is screwed.

Entrenched is right. It's basically when a liar who has a fairly efficient memory gets so deep into the web that he loses track of the original issue. In this case, Jason is a terrible coach, but the offense, defense and special teams could, and have, won games without any sign of his input or his influence. Romo is the passing game but the real travesty is that Jason will not allow his system to be replaced. He will not admit that it was not good enough. The entrenched part of that is that if another part of the offense were to dominate or if Jerry forced change (kind of like the indicting 2014) then the accusation would all fall on Jason.

The fact is that Weedon and Cassel were both brought in, not because of ability, but because of "knowledge of the system". Despite Weeden being a failed attempt at talent before the coming to the Cowboys and despite the fact that Jason has failure at developing QBs, the wasting of a draft pick on Cassel was Jason's insistence that he has a "system" QB. Jason wasted much needed drat picks on a RB and a WR because he did not plan that something other than his "system" would be needed. The system sorely lacked speed and suddenly there was a trade for Brice Butler who had very little anything except some preseason stats. Again if TWilly is upgraded or Streets or someone comes in and basically exposes Jason as being incompetent and stupid with personnel, his system and his management, it will show that Dallas and Romo had a chance for several years now and was wasted by Jason.

What this year basically boils down to is this: the zone-blocking success (which by the way is not the intended scheme for Coryell, linear-man power man-blocking is so that the play action is set up: that is Callahans fingerprint) and the "now corrected" zone blocking runner in Elliot (DMC is essentially being blamed for not having the right running style) will help the defense that is now theoretically upgraded to make greater stops and plays in the ball.

Both the running game and the defense were not responsible for the predictable pass plays that were intercepted and defended even with Romo playing and then those pass plays, that neither the running game nor the defense had anything to do with, were the setting that led to Romo getting hurt.

Linehan and Callahan's hands are and were cuffed in Jason's system and no matter what the running game does during the game, the personnel groupings that Jason sends out as a part of his philosophy, could eliminate any success the team has. I heard Romo talk about how "all schemes are basically the same". I would guess that Jason taught him that phrase, because it came on the heels of the Patriot pick plays and the Dallas media asking why Dallas doesn't have those "pick-type" routes. The fact is that the current scheme is very flawed and weak but Jason is desperately trying to hold on and keep the blame from going back to him. He just puts a great deal more energy into explaining and rationalizing his passing scheme than he does correcting it. Linehan, for all of his experience and creatively, said he doesn't call specific pass plays (last year was his first creating and calling running plays), he just makes "suggestions" to Romo.

Entrenched is right.

Last edited:

junk

UDFA
Reaction score
Do you ever wonder what Tony's career would have looked like if he'd had decent coaching at any point past the Parcells years?

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Do you ever wonder what Tony's career would have looked like if he'd had decent coaching at any point past the Parcells years?
Or anything resembling a decent defense?

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score

I did. Don't anymore. Don't care. I blame Romo for Garrett remaining here. Romo would only had to have said the word and Garrett would have been gone. Why else you see Garrett cozying up to Romo during the offseason, appearing together at Duke b-ball games, and what not. Garrett knew this.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Or anything resembling a decent defense?

You could have had the 85 Bears' defense and it would not have made a difference. How effective you think any defense will be if the offense is predictable and is constantly going 3 and out? That will wear down a defense quick, when an offense is unable to sustain drives.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
You could have had the 85 Bears' defense and it would not have made a difference. How effective you think any defense will be if the offense is predictable and is constantly going 3 and out? That will wear down a defense quick, when an offense is unable to sustain drives.
Well, the question was "Do you ever wonder what Tony's career would have looked like if he'd had decent coaching at any point past the Parcells years?" and the answer was, "or anything resembling a decent defense" which he hasn't had, for years, even when we score 40 points and punting very little.

Reaction score
I did. Don't anymore. Don't care. I blame Romo for Garrett remaining here. Romo would only had to have said the word and Garrett would have been gone. Why else you see Garrett cozying up to Romo during the offseason, appearing together at Duke b-ball games, and what not. Garrett knew this.

Feel the same way. I used to be a Romo apologist and would say had he had a competent coaching staff over him, or played for a decent organization, that he would have won or at least been to a SB.

But he's just a loser. And him pairing up with Garrett proves that, so he deserves his legacy as a choking bum.

Honestly, Romo can gfh for all I care.

onlyonenow

In the Rotation
Reaction score
Just maybe Romo is trying to do the best he can with what he has to work with. This idea that if Romo says the word Garret is gone to me is laughable. Jerruh has the coach he wants and no one is going to get anywhere wanting him gone and everyone in the organization understands that.

Top Bottom