Reaction score

Michael Bonner, Mississippi State football beat writer for The Clarion-Ledger, recently answered some questions about new Dallas Cowboy quarterback Dak Prescott. Here's what he had to say about the former Bulldog QB:

Question: What do you think of Prescott's chances of becoming the Cowboys' quarterback of the future?

Bonner: I think the key word there is 'future.' He's not ready at the point to step in, which is why I think Dallas provides Prescott with as good an opportunity as any to succeed. He can learn behind Tony Romo for a couple of years before there's any need for him to move into a starting role. Prescott has always acknowledged his football career at each stop -- high and college -- began as a backup. When you look at the quarterbacks taken before Prescott, many entered college with much higher expectations. Prescott signed with Mississippi State as an unknown player. LSU wanted him to play tight end. So he's shown incredible growth in five years. I think that's what should excite fans the most about Prescott, he has shown the ability to take to coaching and improve. If that continues in the NFL, he could one day become a starter.

Question: What professional QBs share some similarities with him?

Bonner: To me the player he resembles most is the Seahawks' Russell Wilson. Both played five years in college. Neither were drafted all that high. But both just find ways to win, even if in some games their numbers don't jump off the page. Prescott led MSU to its first ever No. 1 ranking in school history. He won 19 games the last two seasons, which is the most in school history in any two-year period. Coaches and teammates rave about his intangibles, just like Wilson.

Question: What are the most interesting off-field things about him? Or any fun story or anecdote about him during his career there?

Bonner: I never saw him turn down an autograph or picture request. He lingered on the field of every open practice for up to a half hour to satisfy every request. During fan day, a line extended about 400 yards of those wanting to meet the quarterback. One time a female student ran out in front of him while he was driving, just to take a picture with him. He obliged after avoiding the accident. Even at the Senior Bowl, he arrived late for meetings with NFL teams because he wouldn't leave a Mississippi State alumni banquet until everyone who wanted a picture got one.

Question: Where would you rank Prescott as far as the QBs in this draft?

Bonner: I had him fourth or fifth behind the three first-round picks. I felt his ability to improve each year combined with the fact that he also played with the least amount of talent separated him from the second-tiered quarterbacks. As far as intangibles, he's second to none.

Question: How do you think Prescott's DUI affected his draft?

Bonner: It may have affected how some teams looked at him. But those who did their homework knew what kind of a player and person they were getting. In covering Prescott, I've spoken to family members, high school coaches and teachers, childhood neighbors and NFL scouts. None of them had a bad word to say regarding his character. I'm sure most teams came away with a similar feeling. It's difficult to envision one incident ruining that.

Reaction score
I just don't get it. There were pure passers and experienced QBs in the draft and for some reason this athlete who is still learning in the position was fated to go to Dallas in this draft. So it's still Kellen Moore without any concern for Dak being ready or having to worry about being well versed in the offense.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
I guess the Bucs are waiting for QB injuries in August before trading Glennon, who will be a free agent next spring.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I just don't get it. There were pure passers and experienced QBs in the draft and for some reason this athlete who is still learning in the position was fated to go to Dallas in this draft. So it's still Kellen Moore without any concern for Dak being ready or having to worry about being well versed in the offense.

Jerry is getting worse with age. That much is evident.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score

Jerry doesn't know whether he wants to attempt at creating a trend or try to follow a trend.

jnday

UDFA
Reaction score
Dak is a great kid, but he doesn't have the natural talent. If you could take the best trait from Dsk and Johnny Football , you would really have a great QB.

Top Bottom