cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
My annual list of players that have caught my eye over the last few years in college. I’m not trying to find the top ten prospects with this exercise; I’m merely picking out players who I think will be spread out throughout the draft and could help the Cowboys. I try to look at pending free agents and recent draft picks. For example, Barry Church, J.J. Wilcox, Morris Claiborne, and potentially Brandon Carr are in the last years of their deals, so I will include more DB’s than normal this year. I also didn’t include one of my favorite 2017 prospects, Leonard Fournette of LSU, since the team just drafted Ezekial Elliott in the 1st round.

Last year’s list:
1st round (2) – Jalen Ramsey, DB, Jaguars - DeForest Buckner, DL, 49ers
2nd round (3) – Myles Jack, LB, Jaguars - Sterling Shepard, WR, Giants - Derrick Henry, RB, Titans
3rd round (1) – Kyler Fackrell, LB, Packers
6th round (1) – Anthony Zettel, DL, Lions
7th round (1) – Scooby Wright, LB, Browns
Returned to school (2) – Donald Payne (S Stetson) & Cameron Echols-Luper (QB/WR/DB/KR Arkansas State)

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
10.Sam Rogers FB Virginia Tech (5’10”/228)
Bio: hokiesports.com :: Football :: Sam Rogers
Ohio+State+v+Virginia+Tech+mNCByp6GBtRl.jpg

WHY WOULD THE COWBOYS NEED HIM? My list may have jumped the shark now that I’ve included a fullback. The Cowboys rarely use the position and didn’t really address the position this off-season, possibly going with the six-foot-three, 231-pound Rod Smith. Every time I watch a Virginia Tech game they find a way to use the jack-of-all-trades Rogers. He showed up big against Ohio State’s talented defense with a run of 16 yards and a 51-yard reception for a TD. He earned the President’s Award, which goes to the Virginia Tech player who demonstrates outstanding leadership during the offseason program. In high school, he was named all-state as a utility player, and also played basketball and lacrosse for Hanover High School in Mechanicsville, Virginia. Despite that versatility, he was lightly-recruited and walked on at Virginia Tech.
COLLEGE NUMBERS: 39 Games, 13 Starts, 409 Yards Rushing with 2 TD, 48 Receptions for 501 Yards and 3 TD . He even threw 2 TD passes in 2015 and has 14 Special Teams Tackles in his career.
2016 GAME TO WATCH:September 10th against what I expect to be a very good Tennessee defense.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
9. Cameron Echols-Luper WR/KR Arkansas State (6-0/190)
Bio: Cameron Echols-Luper Bio - Arkansas State Athletics Official Web Site - astateredwolves.com
Cameron-Echols-Luper-Top-10-College-Football-Speed-Demon.jpg

WHY WOULD THE COWBOYS NEED HIM? Echols-Luper is a bit of an enigma albeit a very talented one. He was used at WR and KR for the Horned Frogs, and was scheduled to move to DB, which I feel would be his best NFL position. He surprisingly transferred (his father is an assistant coach at TCU) to Arkansas State where they plan on using him at WR, QB, and KR. He will be one of the top return men in college football this year and could be a Jacoby Jones or Devin Hester type player in the NFL. Unless he becomes a polished route runner, I see him being a Day 3 pick. Cameron also runs track and is a multiple-time All-American. He won the Big 12 Indoor title in the long jump in 2015. He was a 3-star recruit out of Auburn, Alabama.
COLLEGE NUMBERS: In 24 games at TCU, he had 13 receptions for 93 yards. He threw a TD pass in 2013 and has three completions total. He has returned 47 punts for 536 yards (11.8 AVG), and 1 TD. He sat out in 2015 after transferring to Arkansas State.
2016 GAME TO WATCH: September 10th at Auburn. It’s a homecoming game for Echols-Luper and one of the only real tests for the Red Wolves.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
8. Jeremy Cutrer CB Middle Tennessee (6-2/170)
Bio: http://goblueraiders.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=4962
CXAYxdnWcAAc9M4.jpg

WHY WOULD THE COWBOYS NEED HIM? The Cowboys could very well be in the CB market with both Claiborne and Carr potentially playing their last years in Dallas. I met MTSU assistant coach Steve Dennis last year when he was recruiting some of our players. I was curious about safety Kevin Byard (picked 64th overall by Tennessee) and he told me that Jeremy Cutrer is the player I need to watch. Cutrer is my type of CB, ultra-athletic with long arms. He needs to bulk up from 170 pounds, but that shouldn’t be an issue with NFL-level training. He was named 2nd team All-Conference USA in 2015, including Defensive Player of the Week and Special Team Player of the Week honors throughout the season. I knew Cutrer’s name sounded familiar and he was originally signed by LSU, but went the junior college route due to academics. He was a 4-star recruit out of Jewel Sumner High School in Kentwood, Louisiana.
COLLEGE NUMBERS: In 2015, he played 10 Games, 31 Tackles, 3 TFL, 16 PD, 3 INT, and 1 Sack. He played at Mississippi Gulf Coast (junior college) in 2013 and 2014, where he played both sides of the ball.
2016 GAME TO WATCH: He will be tested against Missouri on October 22nd in MTSU’s toughest match-up of the year.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
7.Kyzir White S West Virginia (6’3”/210)
Bio: Kyzir White: Lackawanna Falcons
Junior College HUDL highlights: MID SEASON HIGHLIGHTS - Kyzir White highlights - Hudl
white-web.png

WHY WOULD THE COWBOYS NEED HIM? SLEEPER ALERT. The NFL has gone to a pass-heavy, multiple WR, attacking style and for some reason, the Cowboys have countered with a two Strong Safety (box players) approach. It’s time they countered with mobile, athletic safeties and White fits that bill. I started hearing about him last year from different people. One coach told me he’s a more athletic version of his brother Kevin, current Bears WR and the 7th overall pick form the 2015 draft. Like Kevin and another brother, Ka’Raun, Kyzir will suit up for the Mountaineers. Another coach told me they think he’ll be a better player than West Virginia safety Karl Joseph, the 14th overall pick in 2016. Both of those statements are incredibly-high compliments and now White has to go out and prove himself at the Division I level. He was a 4-star recruit coming out of Lackawanna Community College in 2015.
COLLEGE NUMBERS:I can personally attest that the NJCAA doesn’t do a great job of keeping stats. He shows 37 Tackles and 3 INT in 8 games played last year.
2016 GAME TO WATCH: October 15th at Texas Tech. The talented Patrick Mahomes and the Red Raider offense should put White to the test.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
6. Cooper Kupp WR Eastern Washington (6’2”/205)
Bio: http://goeags.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=3747
cooper-kupp-eastern-washington-121613.jpg

WHY WOULD THE COWBOYS NEED HIM? Terrance Williams will be a free agent and may earn a contract bigger than Dallas would want to pay their fourth offensive target. Cooper Kupp is a prolific FCS player who has slot receiver skills but is big enough to play outside. I have a suspicion that Kupp will be a popular target in Cowboy fans mock drafts this year. His grandfather, Jake, was a 1964 draft choice of the Cowboys. One possible negative is that Cooper will already be 24 at the beginning of the 2017 season. He won the 2015 Walter Payton Award, as well as multiple FCS offensive player of the year awards. He was lightly recruited out of Davis High School in Tacoma, Washington.
COLLEGE NUMBERS: 39 Games, 311 Receptions for 4764 Yards, 56 TD
2016 GAME TO WATCH: September 3rd against Washington State, the Eagles lone D1 opponent this season

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
5.Evan Berry S/KR Tennessee (5'11"/207)
Bio: Evan Berry Bio - University of Tennessee Official Athletic Site
usatsi_8896389.jpg

WHY WOULD THE COWBOYS NEED HIM? The younger brother of Pro Bowl safety Eric Berry, Evan is one of the most exciting football players in college football. He returned a kick and an interception for 100 yards last season. I spoke with some of Tennessee’s staff at the AFCA Convention a few months back and they are all predicting big things now that Berry will be starting at safety (the Volunteers had veterans Brian Randolph and LaDarrell McNeil the past two years). In 2015, Berry ranked first in NCAA in kickoff return average (38.3) and was named 1st team All-American by Walter Camp, Sporting News, and Sports Illustrated. He was a 4-star recruit out of Creekside High School in Fairburn, Georgia.
COLLEGE NUMBERS:26 Games, 23 Tackles, 1 INT for 100 Yards, 1217 Return Yards for 3 TD.
2016 GAME TO WATCH:October 8th against the high-flying offense of Texas A&M.

Last edited:

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
4.O.J. Howard TE Alabama (6’6”/242)
Bio: O.J. Howard Bio - ROLLTIDE.COM - University of Alabama Official Athletic Site
2-OJ-Howard-Thomas-Cambell.jpg

WHY WOULD THE COWBOYS NEED HIM? Put down the pitchforks, I know the idea of drafting another Tight End will not be a popular one. Despite the lack of success from Martellus Bennett and Gavin Escobar, fans have to remember that Witten will be 35 going into the 2017 season, and will have a cap number north of $9 million. Escobar will most likely miss most of if not all of next season and will be a free agent after the season. O.J. Howard has great size and speed, has good hands, and is a solid blocker. He exploded during the National Championship game with 208 yards and 2 touchdowns, one of which was a 63-yarder. Howard was a 5-star recruit out of Autauga Academy in Prattville, Alabama. He also had offers from Auburn, Florida, and USC.
COLLEGE NUMBERS:42 Games, 69 Receptions, 1131 Yards, 4 TD, long of 63 yards.
2016 GAME TO WATCH: September 3rd against USC in the Cowboys Classic. The Trojans have 7 returning starters on defense, including a proven Secondary.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
3.Jabrill Peppers S/CB Michigan (6’1”/208)
Bio: Jabrill Peppers Bio
Jabrill-Peppers-Michigan.jpg

WHY WOULD THE COWBOYS NEED HIM? Draft fans will see a lot of comparisons of Jabrill Peppers to Jalen Ramsey. The Wolverines have used Peppers at CB, S, RB, WR, KR, and PR. They are moving him to LB this year in the hopes that moving him closer to the line of scrimmage will allow him to make more plays. Like Ramsey, Peppers will be a very high draft pick so hopefully the Cowboys aren’t in any position to draft him. If they are, it might finally be time to add some impact players on that side of the ball. He was a 5-star recruit out of Paramus Catholic High School in Paramus, New Jersey. He was named the 2013 Defensive Player of the Year by USA Today.
COLLEGE NUMBERS:15 Games, 53 Tackles, 5.5 TFL, and 10 PD. He also has 2 Rushing TDs, 8 Receptions, and 423 Return Yards.
2016 GAME TO WATCH: Shocker here, “The Game” against Ohio State on November 26th.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
2.Myles Garrett DE Texas A&M (6’5”/262)
Bio: http://12thman.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=2675
0059444-bnoh-640x360.jpg

WHY WOULD THE COWBOYS NEED HIM? If the Cowboys are in a position to draft Garrett it means two things. One, they are drafting in the top 5 for the second year in a row, and two, the team is probably ready to move on from Randy Gregory. Garrett is a premier pass rusher with Julius Peppers/Mario Williams type of size, speed, power, and athleticism. He was a 5-star recruit out of Martin High School in Arlington, Texas and considered one of the top recruits in the 2014 class.
COLLEGE NUMBERS:24 Games, 110 Tackles, 32.5 TFL, 23 Sacks, 5 FF, and 1 INT.
2016 GAME TO WATCH: September 3rd against UCLA. The Bruins will do everything they can to keep Garrett from their star QB Josh Rosen.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
1.Jamal Adams S LSU (6’1”/211)
Bio: Jamal Adams Bio - LSUsports.net - The Official Web Site of LSU Tigers Athletics
sddefault.jpg

WHY WOULD THE COWBOYS NEED HIM? The team has been reluctant to invest a top pick in a safety since Roy Williams. With starters Barry Church and J.J. Wilcox scheduled to hit free agency, it may be time. Jamal is a physical defender with ball skills. He’s versatile enough to play Strong or Free and will also play some Nickel Linebacker this year at LSU. He should go in the mid-to-late 1st round. Jamal is the son of former NY Giants 1st round pick, George Adams, who was a teammate of current Secondary Coach Greg Jackson. Local fans may be familiar with him from his days as a 5-star recruit out of Hebron High School in Carrollton, Texas.
COLLEGE NUMBERS: 25 Games, 14 Starts. 133 Tackles, 18 TFL, 11 PBU, 4 INT, and 1 FF.
2016 GAME TO WATCH: November 5th against Alabama. Not many college games will showcase as much future NFL talent. His match-up against TE O.J. Howard should be a battle.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Bonus: Way Too Early Look at 2018
Derwin James S Florida State (6’3”/213)
650x366

Bio: Derwin James Bio - Florida State Seminoles Official Athletic Site
Started 8 games for the Seminoles as a true freshman, racked up 91 Tackles, 9.5 TFL, 4.5 Sacks, 5 PBU, and 2 FF on his way to earning Freshman All-American and 3rd team All-ACC. A lot of safeties have been compared to Sean Taylor over the past few years but James is the closest I’ve seen. The real question will be whether or not he outgrows the safety position.

Last edited:

junk

UDFA
Reaction score
Glad you got a Big Sky guy in there

You also need to add:

Caleb Kidder, DE, Montana

Top Bottom