Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
...and all of you guys have discussed ad nauseam the merits of taking him at 4 overall, or lack thereof; what would he need to do to justify the selection?

Does he need to come out of the gate better than Adrian Peterson?

Average 1,300-1400 yards the length of his rookie deal?

What are your expectations of him now?

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Now that Elliott is the feature back I expect (from the coaches as much as Elliott himself) that he'll get 20-25 carries a game and should average around 1,500 yards. Not just this year but for the next several years. I also expect him to be a TD machine. As a top 5 pick that's what I expect of you.

In the course of those numbers I also expect that we are going to see some amazing runs. There will be times where he's running away from people or times he's running through them. I also expect we are going to see him blow up some blitzers and save Romo's ass!

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
...and all of you guys have discussed ad nauseam the merits of taking him at 4 overall, or lack thereof; what would he need to do to justify the selection?

Does he need to come out of the gate better than Adrian Peterson?

Average 1,300-1400 yards the length of his rookie deal?

What are your expectations of him now?

That sounds about right. I'm sure he'll pull over 300 carries a yr and 4.5 yds per carry would put him at 1350. I suspect he'll be closer to 5.0, which means he could easily get to around 1500 (and could easily exceed it behind this OL, he's been at 6.3 and 6.9 yds per carry each of the last two yrs at OSU)

I suspect he'll also have some seasons with over 50 receptions, and he's such an outstanding short yardage/GL runner that I'd expect 12-15 tds per yr.

Reaction score
Part of me doesn't understand the de-valuing of a running back.

I understand its a passing league, but if the guy touches the ball 25 carries a game, is he not worthy of a high selection?

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
That sounds about right. I'm sure he'll pull over 300 carries a yr and 4.5 yds per carry would put him at 1350. I suspect he'll be closer to 5.0, which means he could easily get to around 1500 (and could easily exceed it behind this OL, he's been at 6.3 and 6.9 yds per carry each of the last two yrs at OSU)

I suspect he'll also have some seasons with over 50 receptions, and he's such an outstanding short yardage/GL runner that I'd expect 12-15 tds per yr.

He's the answer to any red zone problems this team has had in the past.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Dez will also see very few double teams for the rest of his career.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Now that Elliott is the feature back
I am not yet convinced they'll actually feature him, or even start him initially, Orrrrr actually give him dominant workload. This is Garrett we're talking. Loading up on runners fits in with "running back by committee" more than it does a "featured back."

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
I'm just glad we didn't have to trade premium picks to get him, otherwise the pressure would be immense

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I am not yet convinced they'll actually feature him, or even start him initially, Orrrrr actually give him dominant workload. This is Garrett we're talking. Loading up on runners fits in with "running back by committee" more than it does a "featured back."

Eh, 20+ mils guaranteed and 4th pick overall GUARANTEES he starts and is 100% featured back. Barring injury.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Eh, 20+ mils guaranteed and 4th pick overall GUARANTEES he starts and is 100% featured back. Barring injury.
Zeke said himself he didn't expect to start. Might have just been being humble though. Your guarantee applies for most all teams, this is Dallas and Garrett. We have nothing to assure us that suddenly our "braintrust" woke up to what happened in 2014 and is now looking to duplicate it with Zeke.

Just, don't be too surprised if we see RBBC and basically the same crap offensively we've always had, 2014 excepted.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
And besides, he was sporting jersey #21 at VR for interviews, looks like they're giving him that number, fucking Randle's number. Way to lower expectations, Dallas. I would have slapped #22 on him and said, "this is what we think you can be."

EDIT: In fact they're already selling that jersey in the official shop.

View attachment 3323

I definitely would not have gone with 22. I do have to say that I'm not sure I like 21. He's a big back, I would have preferred 34.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I definitely would not have gone with 22.
What's sacred about it? We put 88 on people, why the hell not 22? Even Emmitt himself would approve.

You put 22 on that kid's back and say "this is what we think you can be" beats all hell out of putting the number of a fucking panty thief on his back.

Hell, yeah gimme 34 or even 33, NOT fucking 21. But if you want to light a fire under his ass and plant a positive seed, make it 22.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
And besides, he was sporting jersey #21 at VR for interviews, looks like they're giving him that number, fucking Randle's number.

ahem

[video=youtube;VrpamX1Zql4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrpamX1Zql4[/video]

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
What's sacred about it? We put 88 on people, why the hell not 22? Even Emmitt himself would approve.

You put 22 on that kid's back and say "this is what we think you can be" beats all hell out of putting the number of a fucking panty thief on his back.

Hell, yeah gimme 34 or even 33, NOT fucking 21. But if you want to light a fire under his ass and plant a positive seed, make it 22.

They put 88 on guys because as great as Pearson and Irvin were being as good as them is an attainable goal. It would take amazing effort but it can be done. Neither Irvin or Pearson are statistically the greatest of all time at their position, Emmitt is. As a team I wouldn't put that pressure on anyone. Now if he walked in and asked for it I'd give it to him but I also don't blame him for not asking for it. I really would prefer for Elliott to forge his own identity. If he can make the #21 iconic that will be pretty damn impressive.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
They put 88 on guys because as great as Pearson and Irvin were being as good as them is an attainable goal. It would take amazing effort but it can be done. Neither Irvin or Pearson are statistically the greatest of all time at their position, Emmitt is. As a team I wouldn't put that pressure on anyone. Now if he walked in and asked for it I'd give it to him but I also don't blame him for not asking for it. I really would prefer for Elliott to forge his own identity. If he can make the #21 iconic that will be pretty damn impressive.
Oh jeez. Pygmalion Effect - you put a loser number on the kid, he's gonna be a loser. Julius Jones was oft-injured and never even sniffed his potential and was usurped in the lineup by Marion Barber. Randle of course, more recent so we all know. It's about the message you're trying to send, not about what is "attainable."

You light a FIRE under his ass by putting 22 on him, you have him thinking "21, piece of cake" when you give him that loserass number.

Kid says he "thrives under pressure." So we give him, none.

Top Bottom