dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
IMO arguably the worst draft in team history. I saw this posted and unfortunately, reminded me of how awful things were post-Jimmy.

Darren Rovell on Twitter: "Flashback: The Sporting News picks best players ahead of the 1995 NFL Draft https://t.co/ERvam8NuZP"

We had 3 picks in top 60 (all in 2nd rd, 46, 59 & 63) and didn't come away with one player listed on The Sporting News' Top-60 list. The 3 guys we picked were Alabama RB Sherman Williams, Miss St TE Kendall Watkins and Michigan St OL Shane Hannah.

The remainder of arguably the worst draft in history:

3- Bowling Green DB Charlie Williams
4- Washington TE Eric Bjornson
4- Ole Miss CB Alundis Brice
4- Oklahoma St LB Linc Harden
5- USC WR Ed Hervey
5- Illinois LB Dana Howard
7- N Carolina DE Oscar Sturgis
Supp Pick- We drafted DT Darren Benson

Reaction score
Slightly off topic but do you remember the 2009 draft, all the picks we had and they were all garbage? Same thing. Then Hostile when on that one guys radio show and broke down all the picks and he (gasp) loved all of them. Mike Mickens was the next Orlando Scandrick. Jason Williams reminded him of Patrick Willis. Etc. :lol

We've gotten better at drafting seems to be the general feeling, but we're still getting almost nothing out of 2nd round and below.

That's why I just haven't gotten into the draft at all this year. Well, that coupled with my general apathy towards the team since we insist on keeping a woefully unqualified idiot as a head coach.

2014 was such an outlier. We have nothing to look forward to as a franchise. Especially now since there were two major pre draft trades, we can't even look forward to the drafting of our next franchise QB. We'll end up taking either the peaked DE who takes Molly or the overrated CB who rarely gets turnovers.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
IMO arguably the worst draft in team history. I saw this posted and unfortunately, reminded me of how awful things were post-Jimmy.

Darren Rovell on Twitter: "Flashback: The Sporting News picks best players ahead of the 1995 NFL Draft https://t.co/ERvam8NuZP"

We had 3 picks in top 60 (all in 2nd rd, 46, 59 & 63) and didn't come away with one player listed on The Sporting News' Top-60 list. The 3 guys we picked were Alabama RB Sherman Williams, Miss St TE Kendall Watkins and Michigan St OL Shane Hannah.

The remainder of arguably the worst draft in history:

3- Bowling Green DB Charlie Williams
4- Washington TE Eric Bjornson
4- Ole Miss CB Alundis Brice
4- Oklahoma St LB Linc Harden
5- USC WR Ed Hervey
5- Illinois LB Dana Howard
7- N Carolina DE Oscar Sturgis
Supp Pick- We drafted DT Darren Benson

Did Benson end up having a solid career with the Panthers or am I thinking of someone else?

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Did Benson end up having a solid career with the Panthers or am I thinking of someone else?

He flubbed out with us and never made it on a team anywhere else.

Wasn't very good (was one of those athletic freak types) but work ethic was a problem I think, then he had a significant injury of some sort and never returned.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
More amazing is how people defended it at the time.

And still defend poor drafts by Jones 21 years later.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
More amazing is how people defended it at the time.

And still defend poor drafts by Jones 21 years later.

I was on the AOL boards then, and we were all going bonkers.

Werent any real CZ sheep in there. Either that or maybe everyone was just more realistic.

I thought it was a terrible draft with every minute I watched on TV. I still think its the worst draft we've had since they went to the 7 round format.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
Wiki:

The 1995 NFL draft was one of the worst in Dallas Cowboys history. It is infamously known as the "backup draft", because the team considered their roster so strong, they drafted players based on their contributions as backups, which limited the future potential of their selections. The team traded their first round draft choice (28th overall) to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers (they selected Derrick Brooks :facepalm), in exchange for two second-round picks. The best player drafted would end up being Eric Bjornson.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Yup, that's the one. Pretty tough to look back and see how they passed on a HOF linebacker.

it was sickening to see jerri trotting around the war room like he's hot shit. You could tell it was all over at that point and the future was gonna be dark. Still pisses me off how clueless and arrogant he and his minions were and likely still are

Top Bottom