dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Apparently shooting occurred after a traffic accident.

RIP

His wife was also shot but survived.

Reaction score
Saw a PFT article (so take it for what it's worth) that the suspect had a lawsuit against the NOPD that settled for a lot of money. Smith had been seen with Pierre Thomas with the NOPD police chief, who had been a part of that lawsuit. They tried to connect the dots that Smith may have been targeted, but it seemed like a tenuous connection.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Saw a PFT article (so take it for what it's worth) that the suspect had a lawsuit against the NOPD that settled for a lot of money. Smith had been seen with Pierre Thomas with the NOPD police chief, who had been a part of that lawsuit. They tried to connect the dots that Smith may have been targeted, but it seemed like a tenuous connection.
Well. Sometimes "traffic accidents" aren't accidents.

Reaction score
Sean Payton rails against guns after Will Smith's death

Saints coach Payton advocates more gun control in the wake of Will Smith's murder, Jarrett Bell of USA Today reports.

“If this opinion in Louisiana is super unpopular,” Payton said in a 33-minute phone conversation Monday, his first interview since Will Smith’s death, “so be it.”

“Two hundred years from now, they’re going to look back and say, ‘What was that madness about?’ “ Payton said. “The idea that we need them to fend off intruders … people are more apt to draw them (in other situations). That’s some silly stuff we’re hanging on to.”

Payton is still processing the death of a former team captain -- who was weeks away from joining the Saints coaching staff as an intern -- and no one in their right mind can blame him for expressing his raw, human emotion. He wants to get this off his chest, and it hardly matters if Payton is bucking conventional NFL coach-speak by coming out strong on a hot-button political issue.

“I’m not an extreme liberal,” Payton said. “I find myself leaning to the right on some issues. But on this issue, I can’t wrap my brain around it.”

“I’ve heard people argue that everybody needs a gun,” he said. “That’s madness. I know there are many kids who grow up in a hunting environment. I get that. But there are places, like England, where even the cops don’t have guns.”

After spending several hours at the hospital where Racquel underwent surgery, commiserating with some of Smith’s relatives, Payton hopped on the Internet on Sunday night to try to find out whatever he could about the weapon that was used. He described what he discovered in gruesome detail.

“It was a large caliber gun. A .45,” Payton said. “It was designed back during World War I. And this thing just stops people. It will kill someone within four or five seconds after they are struck. You bleed out. After the first shot (that struck Smith’s torso), he took three more in his back.”

Payton paused, then continued with his theme.

“We could go online and get 10 of them, and have them shipped to our house tomorrow,” he said. “I don’t believe that was the intention when they allowed for the right for citizens to bear arms.”

In his 10 years, he’s lived on the North Shore, on the South Shore and in the Warehouse District in addition to his current Uptown location. He says the violence in the city – with most of the victims being people you’ve never heard of – is as bad as it has been in his time as a resident.

“It’s like our big little secret,” Payton said. “They don’t want to kill tourism. But right now, it’s like the wild, wild West here.

Top Bottom