Reaction score
Who do you guys see as the cornerstone Cowboys in three years? Guys who will play the roll of the Romo/Witten/Ware of the past 5-7 years for us.... above average or better players here for the long term.

It'll be interesting to look at this thread in a few years to see if our thoughts to the future match up to reality:

For me, I say the obvious is...

Tyron Smith
Dez Bryant
Travis Frederick

Not sure we'll be able to keep the entire OL together so I'm hesitant to put Collins down. Part of me thinks because of the $ he lost after murdering his baby momma, he'll probably look to get paid next contract.

I don't have any confidence in any of our young DE's.

I can't think of any other good young talent we have in the roster who has flashed long term potential.

Reaction score
Hopefully you'll be dead in three years, dbair. So you don't need to worry about this.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Jerry or the Ghost of Jerry will pay for La'el Collins.

Zack Martin and hopefully Byron Jones will be part of the cornerstone guys as well.

Reaction score
Great thread, despite Dbairs non enthusiasm, because other than maybe Tyron, everyone else might not be on the team or in the NFL. So that kind of points to two things: who Dallas drafts with its high picks in their draft (because it will probably stock the 2020s), and second who on the current team could be developed for the future. Byron Jones, maybe Swaim, or Collins.

It really all hinges on this draft.

onlyonenow

In the Rotation
Reaction score
Fredrick and Martin and Tyron. You are talking four years from now so a lot can change at every position.
Collins would be on my next list along with Jones.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Great thread, despite Dbairs non enthusiasm, because other than maybe Tyron, everyone else might not be on the team or in the NFL. So that kind of points to two things: who Dallas drafts with its high picks in their draft (because it will probably stock the 2020s), and second who on the current team could be developed for the future. Byron Jones, maybe Swaim, or Collins.

It really all hinges on this draft.

Did you say Swaim?

junk

UDFA
Reaction score
Who needs cornerstone players?

We've got a cornerstone coach. Garrett is setting things up for long term success. Dynasty not some flash in the pan playoff win

By 2020, I think he'll finally have the fixed the salary cap mess and turned over this roster from the mess he inherited from Phillips. Could be an NFC championship game in our sights by 2020 for sure

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score

We've got a cornerstone coach. Garrett is setting things up for long term success. Dynasty not some flash in the pan playoff win

By 2020, I think he'll finally have the fixed the salary cap mess and turned over this roster from the mess he inherited from Phillips. Could be an NFC championship game in our sights by 2020 for sure
LOL

You should write for The Onion!

Reaction score
Did you say Swaim?

Yeah I know. Just don't know much about him at a position where in the right offense a lug nut TE can become a long term blocking solution or a red zone threat (yet less than 2 catches a game) and or both. TEs are tough to predict. I'm not saying Swaim is anything but equally improbable is that the outlier speed of Hanna and height/wingspan of Escpbar has led to virtually nothing.

I couldn't think of anyone on the team young enough and undeveloped enough to be still around in 2020. TEs can be like Matt Johnson: senselessly on the roster.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score

Just think about all that extra training and learning he'll be doing between now and then

Top Bottom