dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Lionel Vital joined Cowboys off strong recommendations

3:28 PM ET
Todd Archer
ESPN Staff Writer

IRVING, Texas -- When the Dallas Cowboys traveled to Orlando, Florida, on Wednesday for Paxton Lynch's private workout, they were met by senior director of college and pro personnel and senior personnel executive Lionel Vital.

Vital joined the Cowboys recently after a nine-year run with the Atlanta Falcons, including the last three as the team’s director of player personnel. His role with the Cowboys will evolve, according to executive vice president Stephen Jones.

“Obviously we brought him right down in the middle of things because it’s a unique situation and we felt like it was great to get a guy like that," said Jones. "Obviously Jerry and I liked him but Will [McClay], it was important for Will to get him. We’ll go through the draft and we’ll look at the whole thing and there’ll probably be a little restructuring. Will will make a recommendation to Jerry and I and I’m sure that we’ll support it.”

Vital, who will report to McClay, who runs the Cowboys’ draft process and pro scouting, came highly recommended not only by McClay, but the Cowboys sought opinions from New England Patriots coach Bill Belichick and Baltimore Ravens general manager Ozzie Newsome.

He spent time with both organizations before joining Atlanta.

“We went to work, got the homework on him,” Jones said. “Will asked me to check on some places that I know I can get good, honest answers and heard nothing but incredible things about him. Some good people had a lot of good things to say about him.”

Reaction score
I just don't get why he is available if he is so highly recommended. Patriots in particular would snatch up talent if Belichick thought he would give an advantage of any sort.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
We are definitely killing the off-season so far!

Kudos Vital.

SixisBetter

Anywhere on the line.
Reaction score
Belichick's exact words were "I'd give Dick Vitale a good reference if I could bang one of your cheerleaders,or one of their moms,whatever" then he slapped the shit out of Josh McDaniels.
Jerry just heard good reference cause Belichick was mumbling.

boozeman

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Vital got squeezed out of Atlanta when Arthur Blank wanted to demote him. He was part of Belichick's crew dating back to Cleveland and followed Dimitroff to Atlanta. He seems okay, big plus is that he is not some Jones lifer and might bring a perspective from winning programs.

Reaction score
“Obviously we brought him right down in the middle of things because it’s a unique situation and we felt like it was great to get a guy like that," said Jones. "Obviously Jerry and I liked him but Will [McClay], it was important for Will to get him. We’ll go through the draft and we’ll look at the whole thing and there’ll probably be a little restructuring. Will will make a recommendation to Jerry and I and I’m sure that we’ll support it.”

This might be the most pivotal thing that happened in the 2016 draft. Seems as if they needed a new set of veteran eyes to help McClay. This draft might not look like some of the typical Jerry and Jason drafts over the last few years where there are sensless, head scratching picks like Damien Wilson, Lawrence Gibson, Mark Nzeocha, Streets, Swaim, etc who will be available after the draft but try to get the pivotal and imperative players during the draft. I think Vital was brought in because someone doesn't quite trust the judgment of someone in charge whether it's Garrett or Jerry or McClay.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Vital got squeezed out of Atlanta when Arthur Blank wanted to demote him. He was part of Belichick's crew dating back to Cleveland and followed Dimitroff to Atlanta. He seems okay, big plus is that he is not some Jones lifer and might bring a perspective from winning programs.

They could definitely use a fresh set of eyes.

Last edited:

Hoofbite

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Pretty sure I saw a post at CZ about how this is a good sign regarding Jerry or some shit.

McClay gets to choose people so Jerry isn't the micromanager he's always been.

Yeah right. Jerry will absolutely overrule this guy, McClay, Stephen, and Jason if he gets a big enough boner for a player.

No decisive power has been lost. Jerry is still swinging the big dick in the room.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Pretty sure I saw a post at CZ about how this is a good sign regarding Jerry or some shit.

McClay gets to choose people so Jerry isn't the micromanager he's always been.

Yeah right. Jerry will absolutely overrule this guy, McClay, Stephen, and Jason if he gets a big enough boner for a player.

No decisive power has been lost. Jerry is still swinging the big dick in the room.

How does that explain Johnny Manziel? Jerry still has a massive hard on for him.

Top Bottom