Reaction score
Jerry Jones: Tony Romo will be Cowboys QB for next 4-5 years and we'll 'make all decisions accordingly'
By Jon Machota, Staff Writer

INDIANAPOLIS -- Jerry Jones was at Lucas Oil Stadium Saturday afternoon watching the top quarterbacks in this year's draft class participate in NFL Scouting Combine drills.

Although drafting a quarterback with the fourth overall selection is a possibility for the Cowboys, the team's owner and general manager said he didn't know if there was one in this group worthy of that pick.

However, Jones said he is certain that Tony Romo will be Dallas' franchise quarterback for the next four to five years and the organization will "make all decisions accordingly."

"What is the one unequivocal fact that you can count on relative to the preparation of this draft and on draft day is that I'm planning on Romo being the quarterback for the next four or five years," Jones said while sitting with reporters on his luxury bus for a little over an hour. "That's a fact. You won't see a decision on draft day that will fly in the face of not believing from our standpoint that he'll be our quarterback for four or five years."

The three quarterbacks who could potentially be picked at No. 4 are Jared Goff, Carson Wentz or Paxton Lynch. But why would any of the three be an option if Romo is expected to play four or five more seasons?

A first-round pick signs a four-year contract. The team has a fifth-year option. If Romo, who turns 36 in April, stays healthy for four to five more years, Goff, Wentz or Lynch could potentially never take a meaningful snap in a Cowboys uniform.

Romo missed 12 games last season after fracturing his left collarbone on two separate occasions. He's expected to have a surgical procedure this offseason to reduce the chances of future collarbone injuries.

If the Cowboys believe Romo will be under center for four or five more seasons, using their first round pick on another position would appear to be more beneficial.

"I couldn't tell you today at all how we might make the decision," Jones said. "This is one of those that might not be made until we're down to the last 10 seconds on the clock."

Reaction score
Hoping for the Cowboys to draft a QB of the future? Jerry Jones thinks you should tap the brakes on that idea
By SportsDayDFW.com

Jerry Jones is holding his yearly interview session at the combine and is talking a lot about Tony Romo and the possibility of drafting a quarterback in this year's draft. Here's what he had to say about his expectations for the rest of Romo's career:
Jon Machota
✔‎@jonmachota
Jerry Jones: There's no angst on our part in regards to what Romo decides to do w/ collarbone. Jones still expects Romo to QB 4-5 more years

Jon Machota
✔‎@jonmachota
Jerry Jones: I think Tony Romo will be our quarterback for the next 4-5 years and we'll operate accordingly

There seem to be two ways to read these statements. One could be that Jones wouldn't be opposed to drafting a project quarterback, whether in the first round or later on in the draft.

The other way you could read this is that Jones isn't even considering drafting a quarterback to be in line to replace Romo in the next 2-3 years.

Considering what he said later, it doesn't look like he's too interested in drafting one in the first round.
Jon Machota
✔‎@jonmachota
Jerry Jones said he doesn't know yet if there's a QB in this draft worthy of the fourth overall pick

With Tony Romo's health in question, some Cowboys fans and NFL analysts think that Jerry should find his quarterback of the future at #4 in the draft while he has the chance. That debate will extend all the way until the Cowboys make their selection, and probably past that as well. While that debate rages on, Jerry may think he has his QB of the future on the roster already.

That's debatable as well, but it is a clear look into Jones' mindset going into the draft. It's hard to read what Jerry is going to do when it comes to the draft, so this story will be quite interesting to follow in the months leading up to draft day.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Simple posturing. Would make no sense for him to come out now and say "We are definitely taking a QB because we know Romo will be done in 2 years". First why would he reveal his hand? Also Romo has a 4 yr contract with an option for a 5th year. Why alienate your QB by telling him he only has 2 years left? The words do not need to be said, but even Stevie Wonder can see that Romo's body is breaking down and he has 2 years max left in him. I honestly do not even expect him to finish the next two years.

Reaction score
I think Romo is a lot more vulnerable than is being purported. 4-5 years is a bluff. Sturm was right. It's very questionable.

The question is who replaces.

after yesterday. Wentz is their best and then Goff. Something just seems awkward and not NFL about Paxton Lynch. Hogan is a no. He had to hop step for a long throw and his elbow bent in looks like he throws like a 6 year old. Driskell and Sudfeld at least have upsides. Hogan hit the ceiling already.

Jerry also made some comment about "rooting" for Jason. Hope that means he's really unhappy with Jason and is about to "root" for him by adding veteran depth at HC to train him.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
after yesterday. Wentz is their best and then Goff. Something just seems awkward and not NFL about Paxton Lynch. Hogan is a no. He had to hop step for a long throw and his elbow bent in looks like he throws like a 6 year old. Driskell and Sudfeld at least have upsides. Hogan hit the ceiling already.

Jerry also made some comment about "rooting" for Jason. Hope that means he's really unhappy with Jason and is about to "root" for him by adding veteran depth at HC to train him.

What about Dak Prescott?

Iamtdg

Reaction score
He seemed raw. Passes were wobbly and didn't seem to have touch to me. But what do I know.

Dak Prescott is terrible. He just might be the most inaccurate passer in the draft. He also has a limp noodle for an arm. Think Brad Johnson, but age 22.

Reaction score
What did you think of Stave? He had this wrist flick cannon. His feet were not even set and he drilled the sideline outs. That's the kind of thing that Romo had and Dallas will need assuming they keep the current system of run around or be injured.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Dak Prescott is terrible. He just might be the most inaccurate passer in the draft. He also has a limp noodle for an arm. Think Brad Johnson, but age 22.

That's crazy because he was one of the better looking QB's at the Senior Bowl.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Simple posturing.
Right, because Jerry's soooo well known to be a strategist and all. Spending all last offseason saying from early on to the end, that drafting a RB "wasn't a priority" didn't teach anyone that Jerry's not a chess player. He MEANS this shit he says. It's proven.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
What is this religious faith in Jerry based on? I'd really like to know. What exactly in the FUCK has he done in 20 years to make people still grasp at straws, proselytizing that he'll do the opposite of what he repeatedly says, and is somehow, some kind of fucking chess player?

This infantile nonsense of "well he's not gonna come out now and say "We are definitely taking a QB at #4 because we know Romo will be done in 2 years" is just a straw point, nobody's EVER fucking said he would do that and no one expects him to. It's not even in the same fucking league of repeatedly and adamantly INSISTING Romo's good for another 4-5 years!

Get with reality and eschew these religious beliefs, this mindless fucking FAITH in Jerry. He is a imbecile, a moron, and REALLY DOES think he's getting another 4-5 years out of Romo!

Take this stupid mother fucker at his word like I did last year when he kept insisting drafting a RB wasn't a priority, and KNOW that we will NOT be taking a QB at #4 or even in the 2nd or 3rd round this year!

Stop giving this senile old drunk mother fucker ANY credit for having a strategic brain, in what he says to the press! He is NOT that fucking sophisticated!

Reaction score
I think he's being serious too...

But even if he were "putting out a smoke screen," why does he constantly feel the need to try to give other teams an idea of what we're thinking? No other GM does this that I know of. Just go about your fucking business and quit playing posturing games.

And if he's being serious, there's even less reason to tell the league your plans. What if a team really wanted one of the QBs and thought we would take one at 4? They may try to trade up above you, and push down the the guy you really want. You're at an advantage when teams don't know how you're going to draft. Why volunteer this information?

If he's trying to give his QB a vote of confidence, it's pointless. Romo has already publicly stated that he would understand if the team drafted QB at #4.

Reaction score
Like I've said before, the Cowboys need to draft the next QB even if Romo is 100% healthy and coming off back to back Super Bowl wins. It simply must be done to avoid a repeat of the post Aikman years at QB, and this year is about as good a shot at that as any team can reasonably expect.

And as for Romo, I am now on board with those that think he is done right now. I am beginning to think he has thrown his last pass in the NFL.

Iamtdg

Reaction score
What did you think of Stave? He had this wrist flick cannon. His feet were not even set and he drilled the sideline outs. That's the kind of thing that Romo had and Dallas will need assuming they keep the current system of run around or be injured.

I didn't get to see much from Stave. I also haven't gotten to watch him play much. But, from what I've read, he has a decent arm but lacks mobility and accuracy.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
why does he constantly feel the need to try to give other teams an idea of what we're thinking?

he's most likely drunk and his strategic thinking never goes beyond making sure he can consume as much limelight as possible

Hoofbite

Draft Pick
Reaction score
He's just preparing the fans for passing on a QB.

He has no intention drafting one this high so he's feeding the line, "we thought we had our QB". Of course, when Romo inevitably gets hurt some homers will say, "you can't blame them for passing on a QB, they thought they had one. Nobody would take a QB in those circumstances".

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
And as for Romo, I am now on board with those that think he is done right now. I am beginning to think he has thrown his last pass in the NFL.
I don't think anyone is saying Tony's done right now.... I sure don't think that. He is one bad hit away from being done, and I just think more strongly that it is prudent NOW to get his replacement on board. Not the year after he ends his career suddenly.

Top Bottom