dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Stephen Jones says the Cowboys would take franchise QB over impact player with 4th pick

Read more here: Stephen Jones says the Cowboys would take franchise QB over impact player with 4th pick | The Star-Telegram

The Cowboys executive VP spoke at the Scouting Combine.

By Clarence E. Hill Jr.

The biggest question surrounding the Dallas Cowboys and the fourth overall pick in the 2016 NFL Draft is whether they can pass on an immediate impact player for a potential franchise quarterback of the future?

The team is admittedly doing their due diligence in evaluating first-round quarterbacks for the first time since taking Troy Aikman first overall in 2016 in hopes finding a future franchise quarterback to takeover for Tony Romo.

But the Cowboys also believe that Romo has a few successful years left and hope to win big while he is still going strong.

“He may play three of four more years,” vice-president Stephen Jones said. “If that were the case that is great because that means he is playing lights out for three or four more years. That means we are successful.”

Of course, arguably the best way to help the Cowboys be successful with Romo still at the helm is to use the fourth pick to take an immediate impact player at position of need.

The Cowboys have huge needs at running back, linebacker, defensive end and cornerback and there could be players there to help them win in 2016 like Ohio State defensive Joey Bosa, Ohio State running back Ezekiel Elliott, Florida State cornerback Jalen Ramsey and UCLA linebacker Myles Jack to name a few.

But there is also a good chance to that either Cal’s Jared Goff or North Dakota State’s Carson Wentz _ the top two quarterbacks in the draft _ would be still on the board as well.

As of now, Jones said a franchise quarterback trumps all.

"I mean you have to look at it," Jones said. "You’re not naive to it but if you have the opportunity in this league, in our situation, to get a potential franchise quarterback, then you have to make the investment. You have to have the patience. You sacrifice maybe that opportunity that maybe is impactful right now."

Read more here: Stephen Jones says the Cowboys would take franchise QB over impact player with 4th pick | The Star-Telegram

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
As a person who has said that the future of this team is as important as the present is, this article is very encouraging.

Reaction score
Bluffing.

Jerry is a walking carcass. He doesn't give a shit about what the team will look like in 5 years. He wants to win now.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Bluffing.

Jerry is a walking carcass. He doesn't give a shit about what the team will look like in 5 years. He wants to win now.

He's been saying that for 20 years. Hasn't worked yet.

dgfred

Spectator
Reaction score
Yeah... kind of silly when you never know if one will be a franchise QB or not. You are hoping for one maybe over another position with a better athlete that might be a needed position too.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Yeah... kind of silly when you never know if one will be a franchise QB or not. You are hoping for one maybe over another position with a better athlete that might be a needed position too.

You could say that about every player at every position. There are no "sure things" when it comes to the NFL.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Bluffing.

That was Stephen not Jerry that said that.

Reaction score
That was Stephen not Jerry that said that.

I know. But Jerry makes the final call.

Jerry has gone on record as saying Romo has at least 10 more years of awesome play in front of him.

As such, jerrys not going let us take a qb at 4 just to sit there for two+ years on the bench.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I know. But Jerry makes the final call.

Jerry has gone on record as saying Romo has at least 10 more years of awesome play in front of him.

As such, jerrys not going let us take a qb at 4 just to sit there for two+ years on the bench.

Jerry's "final call" didn't work out for him with Manziel two years ago though did it

Reaction score
Jerry's "final call" didn't work out for him with Manziel two years ago though did it

But it did with Quincy.

The Manzel concession was likely an anomaly. I wouldn't count on him giving in too much more. Esp not after his recent talks of legacy and him staring mortality in the face. He knows his time is short. Got to take a shot.

I'd love to be wrong and we take a Qb at 4. Just don't see it happening.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
It seems like most people around the team that I've heard think we won't take a QB.

Jerry is getting closer to death everyday, but he probably expects to live to 120... And probably will.

It seems like everyone with the team has convinced themselves that last year was a complete fluke that doesn't even count and we'll be great again this year. If they think that, maybe they don't think they need a guy to contribute right away. As long as the refs don't screw us in Green Bay again, we're Superbowl bound! :facepalm

Reaction score
I'll believe Stephen when I see a franchise QB taken at 4 if one of the big three is there when we draft. Until then I will assume business as usual.

dgfred

Spectator
Reaction score
You could say that about every player at every position. There are no "sure things" when it comes to the NFL.

What I was meaning was that these QBs are not rated like say a Luck. Luck had a 99 rating where these QBs have like a 92.

If the Cowboys are not 'close' to sure on the franchise part... pick another position.

Reaction score
I still don't understand why some are trying to justify keeping Mo or Carr "for the right deal". There is no right deal with players like this other than to send them packing. If you are trying to justify keeping either player because "who you gonna get" or "can't open too many holes going into the draft", well then you are saying you will accept the totally unacceptable production from Mo and/or Carr. If that is the case then why not do it as cheaply as possible and get UDFAs to fill those spots for league minimum? I mean, you will tolerate complete suckiness at those positions so why not get new guys in here on the cheap that might even surprise you with better production? Trying to keep Mo and/or Carr is insanity in my opinion and one of the reasons this franchise has turned into a joke.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
What I was meaning was that these QBs are not rated like say a Luck. Luck had a 99 rating where these QBs have like a 92.

If the Cowboys are not 'close' to sure on the franchise part... pick another position.

I think the Cowboys as well as most teams have at very least Goff and Wentz rated as franchise caliber QB's. Rick Gosslin and Brian Bodus also have Lynch in that same category too. Not sure if the Cowboys are as high on Lynch as they are though. I think after the Combine the stock for all 3 will rise considerably.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
I still don't understand why some are trying to justify keeping Mo or Carr "for the right deal". There is no right deal with players like this other than to send them packing. If you are trying to justify keeping either player because "who you gonna get" or "can't open too many holes going into the draft", well then you are saying you will accept the totally unacceptable production from Mo and/or Carr. If that is the case then why not do it as cheaply as possible and get UDFAs to fill those spots for league minimum? I mean, you will tolerate complete suckiness at those positions so why not get new guys in here on the cheap that might even surprise you with better production? Trying to keep Mo and/or Carr is insanity in my opinion and one of the reasons this franchise has turned into a joke.

I still think that if the Cowboys can fix their pass rush even Mo and Carr could be very productive. Carr has even talked about being open to switching to safety. And Mo catches a ton of heat (rightfully so) but before he caught the injury bug he didn't exactly suck. I'd consider bringing him back for a vet min contract.

Top Bottom