Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
This just popped up on my news feed. It's stating that a CB is rated #1 on our draft board. I don't mind picking up a killer CB but NOT at the expense of getting our QB with the number 4 pick

Report: FSU DB Jalen Ramsey atop Dallas Cowboys' draft board
Jeffrey Kahn - 3 hours ago 1
Newsletter

Jalen Ramsey is considered one of the top prospects for the 2016 NFL Draft and the Dallas Cowboys are quite aware.

According to NFL Draft insider Tony Pauline, the FSU defensive back is currently rated as the No. 1 prospect on the Cowboys' draft board. Pauline dropped the draft nugget in his first version of NFL Draft News & Notes on Wednesday.

"How do NFL executives feel the initial five picks will fall? In recent conversations before the Super Bowl the order that gets the most votes at this early stage is 1) Laremy Tunsil, 2) Jalen Ramsey, 3) Jared Goff, 4) Myles Jack, 5) Joey Bosa.

I heard talk during the Senior Bowl that Tunsil could be the first pick of the draft. Goff at three is interesting for a variety of reasons, including a potential trade.

One team that would not be happy to see Jalen Ramsey going so early are the Dallas Cowboys as I’m told he’s presently graded as the top player on their board."

Per NFL draft analyst Mike Mayock, Ramsey is the No. 1 rated cornerback prospect in this year's draft class. The 6-1, 202-pound defensive back is versatile and quite the athlete in the secondary.

Ramsey expects to keep his top billing heading into April's draft as he's projected to have a huge week at the the NFL Scouting Combine in late February, according to one NFC director of football operations.

"Some scouts on the road think he's overrated and some think he's the next Richard Sherman. We all agree that he's going to win the combine and that (Mike) Mayock won't stop talking about him."

Related: Dallas Cowboys 2016 offseason: Important dates

The Cowboys will look to add to their defense this offseason through free agency and the draft. Previously, the 'Boys turned to the draft in consecutive years to build up their offensive line. After doing so, the Cowboys selected defensive back Byron Jones in the first round of the 2015 NFL Draft. Could the front office be shifting their focus to building up the secondary? With Ramsey sitting atop of their draft board, that seems highly likely.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Eh. Non story right now.

Nobody finalizes a draft board in February.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
This is true but it shows where their heads are at. Which is Not on the QB position

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
This is true but it shows where their heads are at. Which is Not on the QB position

So you think making the QB's the top rated players with no consideration to other positions "shows where their heads are at"?

No, they should rate their draft board appropriately, then draft based on their ratings with some consideration of the major needs of the team.

Based on today, the only way I wouldn't take a QB at 4 is if they believe none of them are truly a "franchise caliber" longtime potential starter. If they think they are all mediocre or would struggle immensely, then they'd be stupid to pick one there just for the sake of picking one.

That said, my personal opinion is Wentz or Goff would be a no brainer pick at 4, and maybe Lynch too depending on how he works out and their film study of the guy.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
All it would mean if true is that our scouts have Ramsey as the highest graded player in the draft, pre-Combine, Pro Days, and individual workouts. It doesn't mean we would necessarily take him.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
Yeah, these boards have been building up over time. It's not like they just started grading players after their season ended.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Eh. Non story right now.

Nobody finalizes a draft board in February.

Exactly. Ramsey should have a good Combine/Pro Day but I also expect others to have good workouts and move up teams boards, that includes the QB's.

For what it's worth I wouldn't take a CB in the top 5 unless that guy was Deion Sanders. Ramsey is no Deion.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Exactly. Ramsey should have a good Combine/Pro Day but I also expect others to have good workouts and move up teams boards, that includes the QB's.

For what it's worth I wouldn't take a CB in the top 5 unless that guy was Deion Sanders. Ramsey is no Deion.

mayloc is calling him the next Richard Sherman

Not quite from but I'd take it

Just not with the #4 pick

I will be pissed if we go anywhere but QB with the number four overall pick. We shouldn't have this high a pick again for another 10-20 years hopefully so we need to use it to try to get our next franchise QB

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
mayloc is calling him the next Richard Sherman

Not quite from but I'd take it

Just not with the #4 pick

I will be pissed if we go anywhere but QB with the number four overall pick. We shouldn't have this high a pick again for another 10-20 years hopefully so we need to use it to try to get our next franchise QB

I agree, QB is a must. If it were up to me I would take any of the top 3 guys. Goff for me is the top guy but Wentz is a close second. But even if they are gone I would still take Lynch.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Problem I have with the thread premise... It's really not "reactionary" to realize this defense sucks. Offense puts butts in seats, sells swag, and drives TV ratings. Defense wins championships.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Problem I have with the thread premise... It's really not "reactionary" to realize this defense sucks. Offense puts butts in seats, sells swag, and drives TV ratings. Defense wins championships.

They need help for sure. Really would be hard to complain much about adding defensive talent to a defense that needs help.

That said, I'm still firmly of the belief the first pick should be a QB.

Reaction score
If you're drafting top 5, imp you need to come away with an elite prospect at a game-altering position. QB, DE, or LT. And we don't need a LT.

Reaction score
If you're drafting top 5, imp you need to come away with an elite prospect at a game-altering position. QB, DE, or LT. And we don't need a LT.

Maybe there are tiers to this idea of "game altering position." QB would be alone in the highest tier. DE and LT in the second tier. WR would be in the third tier and maybe some other positions in the third tier too (CB? RB?).

If the next Calvin Johnson were sitting there at #4, I'd have to think long and hard about passing him up. The next Deion Sanders or LaDainian Tomlinson would be tough to pass up too.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
That said, I'm still firmly of the belief the first pick should be a QB.
Same here. I'm simply more convinced that the more pundits and fans say we need to use that #4 pick to get the future QB, the less Jerruh will be inclined to do so.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Same here. I'm simply more convinced that the more pundits and fans say we need to use that #4 pick to get the future QB, the less Jerruh will be inclined to do so.

Unfortunate, but probably true

Especially after the drunk saw broken down Manning win the Super Bowl and 3 of 4 conference championship teams with old QB's

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
After reading a couple articles recently that both state the Jerry is leaning more and more towards a defensive player i fear we will be stuck in the QB limbo hell for at least the next decade or two

I see him making that reactionary pick after watching Denver's D win them the game. He will take a DE/CB with the #4 pick and then use a 2nd or 3rd round pick to try to find the next Romo with what's left of everyone else's sloppy seconds

The good news is we should end up with a difference maker with whatever defensive player they may take at #4

I can also see a few other teams taking a QB early because of our clusterfuck of last season because they don't want the same thing to happen to their team if their starting QB goes down. I think our 2015 season opened up other will make other teams re-evaluate their own back up QB situation

Last edited:

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
and then use a 2nd or 3rd round pick to try to find the next Romo with what's left of everyone else's sloppy seconds
2nd or 3rd for a QB is quite optimistic. I still say they won't pick one at all and if they do, late round. They simply do not see the QB position as a big problem.

The good news is we should end up with a difference maker with whatever defensive player they may take at #4
There's no evidence in their draft history, to support that. Yes theoretically we SHOULD end up with a defensive difference maker at #4, but this is Dallas. This is Jerruh.

Top Bottom