Reaction score
By Jon Machota , Staff Writer Contact Jon Machota on Twitter: @jonmachota

Who are the Dallas Cowboys? Are they the 12-4 bunch that won a playoff game a little over a year ago? Or are they the disappointing 4-12 team of the previous season?

In Tony Romo's opinion, they're closer to the group that went 8-0 on the road and won the NFC East.

Romo was in San Francisco on Friday, participating in several radio and TV interviews. During one of those Q&A sessions, Romo provided a lengthy response for why Cowboys fans should be optimistic about the 2016 season.

At the top of his list: The return of a healthy franchise QB.

"Personally, I always like to think if I'm going to play, we're going to have a chance to succeed," Romo said on FOX's The Herd with Colin Cowherd. "I play an important position on our team. At the same time, I've played long enough to know that from year-to-year we're not losing these games 45-10. I'd like to think that in a lot of these close games I would have been able to probably help and close out some of those close games. So that's an easy one.

"No. 2, we're going to get some good players from the draft, we're going to get some people to come in. Our coaching staff is going to do a great job. Believe me, when you go through a 4-12 type season, everyone is going to look at themselves, as we all should, and they're going to reassess and they're going to go back and evaluate everything they do and they're going to tighten the screws, per say, as far as the things that may have not been up to standard.

"I think you'd be surprised by how small things can go a long way in the NFL."

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
So Tony is basically saying the entire horrible year was his getting hurt. Otherwise everything is fine.

Because hey, those close losses were almost wins. And we're going to draft people and stuff.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
pointless. when has he ever told us not to be optimistic about a season?

Iamtdg

Reaction score
they're going to reassess and they're going to go back and evaluate everything they do and they're going to tighten the screws, per say, as far as the things that may have not been up to standard.

Wow, Machota, that's bad.

Bluenoser

In the Rotation
Reaction score
We lost 7 games by 7pts or less. Romo is easily worth 1+ TD a game. Romo stays healthy and we easily make the playoffs.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
So Tony is basically saying the entire horrible year was his getting hurt. Otherwise everything is fine.

Because hey, those close losses were almost wins. And we're going to draft people and stuff.

Unfortunately for all of us (Cowboy fans in general) I can see them talking themselves into this. Unfortunately it appears he is part of the Jerry enabler crowd, helping convince him of this kind of non sense.

Its probably not far fetched to assume that had Romo NOT been injured, we'd have won more games and maybe even won the division. What IS far fetched is to think that we'd have actually done anything in the postseason because of a number of key issues that remain.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Who are the Dallas Cowboys? Are they the 12-4 bunch that won a playoff game a little over a year ago? Or are they the disappointing 4-12 team of the previous season?
Do the math - it's .500 ball and that is exactly what Dallas is, a .500 mediocre franchise.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
We lost 7 games by 7pts or less. Romo is easily worth 1+ TD a game. Romo stays healthy and we easily make the playoffs.

I hear you, but I'd also note that Romo wasn't playing that well the first two games before he got hurt, and he looked pretty mediocre to dreadful in the two games he played after he returned.

Its something nobody really wants to acknowledge, but it could very well be we have seen the last of Romo's great play forever. He's older, has a bad back with multiple procedures done on it and a fragile collarbone. He also isn't exactly in all that great of physical shape anyway. He's never been a gym rat.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Opponents merely tack on another TD if needed, on our feckless, hapless defense.
I hear you, but I'd also note that Romo wasn't playing that well the first two games before he got hurt, and he looked pretty mediocre to dreadful in the two games he played after he returned.

Its something nobody really wants to acknowledge, but it could very well be we have seen the last of Romo's great play forever. He's older, has a bad back with multiple procedures done on it and a fragile collarbone. He also isn't exactly in all that great of physical shape anyway. He's never been a gym rat.
Yup.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Unfortunately for all of us (Cowboy fans in general) I can see them talking themselves into this. Unfortunately it appears he is part of the Jerry enabler crowd, helping convince him of this kind of non sense.
I don't blame Tony for being confident in himself and thinking he'd make the difference.

I do wish that publicly, he'd say something along the lines of, "Even if I'd been healthy there's no guarantee we'd have been as good as the year before. We all need to have the mindset that we're starting from scratch, that we're an undertalented team that needs to overachieve if we want to even have a chance."

Basically, Jerry and Jason are selling the injury excuse. I wish Tony as our best player and a team leader had taken the chance to fight that a little bit.

Reaction score
Romo saying that Dallas is going to get players in the draft suggests that the players are not for the future but players to help Romo now. It's a scary thought to consider what kind of whacko division III LB turned WR drafted in the second round is going to help the team?

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
"No. 2, we're going to get one maybe two good players from the draft, we're going to get some people you have never heard of to come in. Our coaching staff is going to do nothing. Believe me, when you go through a 4-12 type season, everyone is going to look at themselves, as we all should, and they're going to reassess and then do nothing else about it. Then we will blame injuries, fire a couple of scapegoat coaches, and Jerry will predict a Super Bowl.

Fixed for Romo

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Hell, the Patriots played with a 3rd string offensive line the majority of the season and still almost made the big dance.
Then promptly fired their OL coach almost immediately after being eliminated.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Do the math - it's .500 ball and that is exactly what Dallas is, a .500 mediocre franchise.

It's sad to say but .500 ball will win us the division in the clusterfuck we play in

So say we do win the division. Then we lose the first playoff game. Then back to where we started and the circles continues. .500, lose a playoff game, rinse and repeat

Top Bottom