Reaction score
Jerry Jones: Cowboys have gone from 'outhouse to the penthouse' before, and that drives me
By Jon Machota, Staff Writer

MOBILE, Ala. -- Tomorrow will mark the 20-year anniversary of the last time the Dallas Cowboys played in the Super Bowl.

In the past 20 seasons, the Cowboys haven't advanced past the divisional round of the NFC playoffs.

What gives Cowboys owner Jerry Jones confidence his team can get back to playing for a championship?

"Well, I saw how we got there for the first three that I was involved with," Jones said Wednesday afternoon while attending Senior Bowl practice. "I'm the most surprised person in Mobile, or the country, that we haven't been back to and competed in a Super Bowl.

"But I know firsthand that you can go from the outhouse to the penthouse, and I've experienced it. Consequently, that fact has always driven me to know that it's just around the corner. There's a pony in here somewhere."

Jones is confident that Tony Romo is the quarterback who can lead Dallas back to the mountain top. He estimated Wednesday that his franchise quarterback has a "minimum of three to five years" to get the job done.

What gives Romo confidence?

"I just think that when you start off every offseason, you want to achieve that ultimate goal," Romo said Saturday while hosting the re-opening of Bowlmor Dallas in Addison.

"That's all that's left for our football team. For my playing career, that's what you're going to be defined by. We have no choice."

:blowhard

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I like how he just ignores the fact that he is the one responsible for putting us in the outhouse now.

Reaction score
Romo will be lucky to have 3 to 5 games left at this rate. How fuckin' delusional. And yeah, look in the mirror you old fart. You are the reason the franchise has been in the outhouse for 20 years.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Our Drunkard in Chief Jerruh said:
"Well, I saw how we got there for the first three that I was involved with," Jones said
Yeah, motherfucker. You got there by keeping your dicktrap shut and signing the fucking checks and staying out of Jimmy the football man's way! Then, you could no longer contain your dicktrap and look where we've been for 20 fucking years now.

Tom failed to make a Super Bowl for ten years, and had to be fired. You haven't even so much as sniffed one, in 20.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
20 fucking years, so pissed

I told my buddy we had to go to Super Bowl XXX because its the last chance we'll get as long as jerri is alive and kicking

wish I could have placed a bet on this somewhere because it was obvious as the nose on your face

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Jerruh seems to think QBs are like autos, thinking the low odometer reading and smaller years on the road are more important than how many major fucking WRECKS its been in.

Reaction score
Jerry Jones: We have the luxury of having Tony Romo, so we don't have to draft a QB
By Jon Machota, Staff Writer

MOBILE, Ala. -- It wasn't difficult to find Jerry Jones following the North team's Senior Bowl practice Wednesday afternoon at Ladd-Peebles Stadium. The Cowboys owner and general manager was on the field, shaking hands and having a good laugh with North Dakota State's Carson Wentz.

Some may jump to conclusions about a brief meeting with the event's top quarterback prospect, but Jones made it clear a few minutes later that the Cowboys don't have to select a quarterback in April's NFL Draft.

"No, not at all," Jones said. "There's no have-to in my mind because we have the luxury of having Tony Romo for the minimum of three to five years. So we're going to play football and hopefully play well with a healthy Romo."

Jones pointed to free agency when discussing other ways of potentially finding Romo's heir apparent. Johnny Manziel and Robert Griffin III were never mentioned but their availability was implied during a question near the end of the 19-minute session.

"I don't have any comment there because you well know they're on another roster and I can't do that," Jones responded.
Cowboys head coach Jason Garrett wanted no part of discussing drafting a quarterback Wednesday night.

"We don't want to get into the draft process right now," Garrett said. "We're literally 48 hours into this evaluation of this 2016 draft class. Our scouts and our personnel people spend a lot of time on these guys up to this point, but this is really our first exposure to them.

"We're trying to do our best evaluation on each of them before we talk about who we may or may not take in the draft."

Reaction score
When the final snap concluded on this past 4-12 season, I wore the disappointment on my face plain as day. My grandmother looked at me and asked "Well, what are your Cowboys going to do now Middie?"

I responded "No big deal... we're just going to have a cinderella season in 2016 and win the whole damned thing!"

Man she loved that fern.*

*Said fern will end up on my head after Cowboys win the whole damned thing in 2016 just as I predicted.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Was just listening to the Troy Aikman show this morning... It's clear he can't stand Jerry, but he's usually pretty subtle about it. But this morning they mentioned the 20 years anniversary of beating the Steelers for the last Superbowl, and they jokingly asked if he thought it would be another 20 years before they made it.

Troy said if things don't change out there, yeah, it will be another 20 years. He also said this team has been so inconsistent the last many years, and questioned if the 2014 team was a "real" 12-4 team. Said probably not, just like this team wasn't "really" a 4-12 team due to Tony's injury.

But he said you can't just have one good year out of seven or eight and claim you're building anything. I hope some people heard that.

BTW, he really wants to be a GM like Elway. Also said he knows it'll never happen here, so he'd have to move, and he doesn't want to do that with his girls still in school. But after that he'd really like to. Sucks he can't do it here because I think he'd be great at it. Talk about a complete 180 from Jerry the ringmaster to Troy the deadly serious no-nonsense football man.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
BTW, he really wants to be a GM like Elway. Also said he knows it'll never happen here, so he'd have to move, and he doesn't want to do that with his girls still in school. But after that he'd really like to. Sucks he can't do it here because I think he'd be great at it. Talk about a complete 180 from Jerry the ringmaster to Troy the deadly serious no-nonsense football man.

GOD DAMN IT!! If Troy fucking Aikman ends up being a successful GM for some other team, I'm going to lose it more than I already have. I would love to see Troy as GM of football operations in Dallas, its mind boggling why this isn't a consideration for that a-hole owner

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score

I bet if Jerry werent around this is something that could potentially happen here.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
But he said you can't just have one good year out of seven or eight and claim you're building anything. I hope some people heard that.

Wonder what his opinion is (today) of The Clapper. I know when Garrett was the back up QB Aikman raved about him and said he was like another coach on the sideline. Zampese really liked him too.

Fast forward to today, and I wonder if either have the same opinion.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Yeah, obviously Troy is big buddies with Jason, but I think that like when calling a game, his integrity is so important to him that he's not going to prop someone or some team up if he doesn't truly think they deserve it.

I almost wonder if he hasn't lost a little respect for Jason happily putting up with Jerry's meddling. Troy has obvious disdain for Jerry's way of running this team -- you can hear it in his voice. But his big bud just signed an extension to stay here and live with it knowing full well what the deal is here. I can guarantee you Troy wouldn't do that no matter how big the paycheck was.

Also, they mentioned that Rivera is a big John Madden fan and has pages of notes he's taken from talking to him. They asked Troy if Garrett had a mentor like that and he said Jason might talk to Jimmy occasionally but he thought the main guy was Norv, along with some of the things he picked up from Saban. But mainly Norv. So great.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
I think this is all Jerry blowing smoke. Why would he say that they love Wentz and that they will definitely pick a QB at #4. That would only encourage a team covering Wentz to trade up to #3.

SixisBetter

Anywhere on the line.
Reaction score
The results of the last 20 years are exactly what I expected when I first heard an Arkansas oilman had purchased the team.
Nothing I've seen heard or read makes me think this will change anytime soon.
The Johnson years and the followup years with Sixgun Barry were lightning in a bottle.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I think this is all Jerry blowing smoke. Why would he say that they love Wentz and that they will definitely pick a QB at #4. That would only encourage a team covering Wentz to trade up to #3.
If course no one is going to tip their hand to that degree especially this early. Problem is, this is Jerruh - not exactly the brightest bulb on the marquee. He's said over and over going back at least three years, that he expects 4-6 more years out of Time Bomb Tony. Prepare yourself for a repeat of last year when they kept saying drafting a RB wasn't a priority, we're happy with the guys we have at the position, then of course didn't draft a RB. Not even a late round one. They have Moore, and Jerruh's already been talking about picking another one up in FA, they seriously do not think they are in trouble at the QB position. They think it's handled.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
If course no one is going to tip their hand to that degree especially this early. Problem is, this is Jerruh - not exactly the brightest bulb on the marquee. He's said over and over going back at least three years, that he expects 4-6 more years out of Time Bomb Tony. Prepare yourself for a repeat of last year when they kept saying drafting a RB wasn't a priority, we're happy with the guys we have at the position, then of course didn't draft a RB. Not even a late round one. They have Moore, and Jerruh's already been talking about picking another one up in FA, they seriously do not think they are in trouble at the QB position. They think it's handled.

I can actually understand them not drafting a RB in last year's draft. Gurley and Gordon were off the board by the time their pick came up in the 1st. Then Randy Gregory fell into their lap in the 2nd. By the time the 3rd round came along there were no RB's on the board that were clearly better than who they already had. You can't completely blame that on Jerry, that's just the way the draft fell.

Top Bottom