Oldfestus408

Spectator
Reaction score
Troy Aikman: RGIII or Johnny Manziel will be Cowboys backup QB

Some of you may have already seen the article on SI earlier.
Aikman believes Jerry will get RGIII or JM to be Romo's backup.
I for one hope not!
Jerry could pick up either Goff or Wentz with the 4th pick.
Sure the Cowboys need help in the DL and at CB but getting a QB this high and letting them sit behind Romo for a year or two makes sense (to me at least).
Jerry always believes the Boys are a player away and he has been thinking that for almost 20 years.
After this year, I believe most of us can see how a replacement for Romo is needed.
I just hope Aikman is wrong!

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I just hope Aikman is wrong!
I think Troy smells what Jerry's cooking. Just like last year when most everyone thought we should and would draft a running back. Of course it didn't happen because as they said, they felt like they had it covered. They STILL are out there saying they can get 4 more years out of Time Bomb Tony. There's no urgency by them that I have seen, to address the QB of the future question. Wouldn't be one bit surprised to see NO QB drafted this year at all.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I think Troy smells what Jerry's cooking. Just like last year when most everyone thought we should and would draft a running back. Of course it didn't happen because as they said, they felt like they had it covered. They STILL are out there saying they can get 4 more years out of Time Bomb Tony. There's no urgency by them that I have seen, to address the QB of the future question. Wouldn't be one bit surprised to see NO QB drafted this year at all.

That's not what they said was the reason they didn't draft one.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
That's not what they said was the reason they didn't draft one.
No? I seem to remember they kept saying it wasn't a priority because they liked what they had at RB, on the roster already. And of course no one took them at their word and were SHOCKED when they didn't draft a RB.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
No? I seem to remember they kept saying it wasn't a priority because they liked what they had at RB, on the roster already. And of course no one took them at their word and were SHOCKED when they didn't draft a RB.

They said they didn't draft one because of how it fell, and noted in a couple different rounds guys they liked got picked before we had a chance to take them.

Reaction score
Both are a huge waste of time, but with how stupid the management is they might as well trade our number 1 & next year's for Manziel and sign RG3 to an 80 million deal. Neither one would shock me at this point. I am surprised when the team DOESN'T do something stupid in situations like this.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
They said they didn't draft one because of how it fell, and noted in a couple different rounds guys they liked got picked before we had a chance to take them.

That was AFTER the fact. What they were saying BEFORE the draft is what I am referencing, not their bullshit spin after.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Ok dooms

That's why they wasted half their national visits to VR on RB's. It was a smokescreen.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Ok dooms

That's why they wasted half their national visits to VR on RB's. It was a smokescreen.
Yep you kept saying that after the fact too.

I don't mind if you want to be pig headed and continue to believe "oh shucky dern, just plain dumb bad luck Dallas couldn't draft a RB last year, all were taken" shit. I will continue to believe they never had any intentions of taking one, they SAID it wasn't a priority for them, they liked the guys they had, then DIDN'T take a RB. I continued to say they would not, and they did not.

It doesn't make a fuck how many they had come in for visits. That's routine stuff.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
It doesn't make a fuck how many they had come in for visits. That's routine stuff.

You are limited to the number of national visits for draft prospects that you can bring in (I think the number is 30)

No team decides to waste those on players they have absolutely zero interest in, and in our case we brought in virtually every RB with a draftable grade in the early/middle rounds.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
You are limited to the number of national visits for draft prospects that you can bring in (I think the number is 30)

No team decides to waste those on players they have absolutely zero interest in, and in our case we brought in virtually every RB with a draftable grade in the early/middle rounds.

No one said "absolutely zero interest." What was said was true, it wasn't a priority for them, they repeatedly said so, and then they proved it.

I see a parallel now although it's quite early - but with all their talk of Time Bomb Tony being good for another four years I would be surprised if they draft a QB in the first two rounds no matter who is available.

They love Moore and likely will acquire either RG3 or Johnny Futon.

SixisBetter

Anywhere on the line.
Reaction score
I'm not advocating JFF or RGKnee.
Just to be clear;fuck both those guys.
But JJ has to salivate at the thought of either one of them(especially JFF) on the Valley Ranch campus.
Every media outlet on earth would have a live feed there.
Just what Jerry wants.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
But JJ has to salivate at the thought of either one of them(especially JFF) on the Valley Ranch campus.
Just what Jerry wants.

Jerry priorities:

1) Money
2) Media attention
3) Whores
4) Oil
5) Cowboy fan satisfaction
6) Cowboy W/L record

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Just what Jerry wants.

No doubt about it.

I remember Lacewell saying JJ had a "man crush" on JFF, and part of that had to be his flamboyant nature. You know that true love hasn't totally died.

Reminds me, I still need to upload that long Lacewell interview from my work PC for the sheer drunken hillbilly humor factor. Also when he pretty much stated that a big reason for going to the 43 was to get away from Parcells' influence.

Reaction score
No doubt about it.

I remember Lacewell saying JJ had a "man crush" on JFF, and part of that had to be his flamboyant nature. You know that true love hasn't totally died.

Reminds me, I still need to upload that long Lacewell interview from my work PC for the sheer drunken hillbilly humor factor. Also when he pretty much stated that a big reason for going to the 43 was to get away from Parcells' influence.

It's such a whacko organization that Lacewell gets canned by Parcells and is pissed when Parcells revamps the QB focus away from Quincy eventually going to Romo. Lacewell, like Jason, will not take a step back and see that his own efforts are not resulting in a better team; that bringing someone else with proven experience with both coaching and talent development actually improves the team. Lacewell, like the Jones and the Garretts, just appear to like being a part of the show rather than an agent of change that causes winning.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
If Jerry was going to take one of these guys no matter what I guess I'd take Johnny football over RGIII and his injuries. Plus we are not going to revamp our offense to take advantage of RGIII so he would be a waste in our scheme

Top Bottom