Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Ok so we all know that QB will or at least should be our main focus in the draft. But we also need a running back to either back up or even take the number one spot from McFadden.

I don't follow college ball so what are the top running back prospect expected to declare for the upcoming draft?

Who do we want and who should I look into?

Beyond running back we need to upgrade damn near everything. The secondary would be my next priority. What would be yours?

Last edited:

Mr.Po

Reaction score
Cream of the crop...............

Collins is my personal favorite down the line in all likely hood we don't select RB round 1.

State he isn't that fast or "special" but he's done nothing but produce and his reported 40 time is virtually identical to other top backs.

Ezekiel Elliott*, RB, Ohio State
Height: 6-0. Weight: 225.
Projected 40 Time: 4.54.
Projected Round (2016): 1-2.
1/9/16: Elliott averaged 6.3 yards per carry this season for 1,821 yards with 23 touchdowns. He had 27 receptions for 206 yards as well.

Elliott was tremendous with his burst, vision, balance and ability to rip off yards in chunks. He has the strength to run through tackles and pick up yards after contact with the burst to get to the second level. Elliott also did some nice blocking, which is valuable for pro evaluators. Elliott's first-step quickness is phenomenal, and he looks to be a future three-down starter in the NFL. Sources have said that Elliott has graded out as a first-rounder.

8/8/15: Elliot was the workhorse who carried the Buckeyes to last season's National Championship. He destroyed Wisconsin (20-220-2), Alabama (20-230-2) and Oregon (36-246-4) in the final three games to lead Ohio State. Elliot averaged 6.9 yards per carry in 2014 for 1,878 yards with 18 touchdowns. He had 28 receptions for 220 yards, too. Elliot showed speed, cutting ability and the ability to pick up yards after contact. He is a well-rounded back who does everything well.

Derrick Henry*, RB, Alabama
Height: 6-3. Weight: 241.
Projected 40 Time: 4.59.
Projected Round (2016): 1-3.
1/9/16: In 2015, Henry has averaged 5.7 yards per carry (359 carries) in 2015 for 2,061 yards with 25 touchdowns with 11 receptions for 91 yards. Henry has been a downhill bulldozer who has an underrated burst to get to the second level and break off long runs. He isn't an elusive back, and is a one-cut downhill runner, but he has shown surprising speed to run away from defensive backs when he breaks off long runs.

Not only has Henry's running been impressive this season, but the blitz protection will really excite scouts. His contributions in the passing game will help Henry's draft grade and give NFL teams the evidence that he can be a three-down starter as a pro.

In speaking with sources, some teams see him as a late first-rounder. Others grade him in the second or third round.

8/8/15: Henry averaged 5.8 yards per carry in 2014 for 990 yards with 11 touchdowns. He added five receptions for 133 yards, too. The 6-foot-3, 241-pounder could be in store for a huge season in 2015 with T.J. Yeldon and Amari Cooper in the NFL and Alabama starting a new quarterback. That has been the trend for the Crimson Tide in years past with players like Mark Ingram, Trent Richardson, Eddie Lacy and Yeldon taking over as the lead back after an older player moves on to the NFL.

Henry finished the 2013 season in impressive fashion, while T.J. Yeldon wasn't as dominant as many thought he would be. Henry showed what he is capable of when he racked up 382 yards on only 36 carries with three touchdowns in 2013. In the Sugar Bowl, Henry had 100 yards and a score on only eight carries.

Devontae Booker, RB, Utah
Height: 5-11. Weight: 203.
Projected 40 Time: 4.52.
Projected Round (2016): 2-3.
1/9/16: Booker averaged 4.7 yards per carry this season for 1,261 yards with 11 touchdowns. He also snagged 37 receptions for 318 yards. His solid play displayed his versatility with quickness, toughness and elusiveness as a runner. Booker gained a lot of yards after contact in college, but that quality will be diminished when he faces NFL defenders.

8/8/15: Booker broke out in 2014 with a huge season as he carried the Utes' offense. Booker averaged 5.2 yards per carry for 1,512 yards with 10 touchdowns. He also showed receiving ability with 43 receptions and 306 yards and two scores.

Booker is a quick runner who is more physical than one would think. If he could add some weight for the NFL, that could help him to be a three-down runner. Booker was rumored to be entering the 2015 NFL Draft, but he wisely decided to return to Utah as he has only one season of major college football experience.

Paul Perkins*, RB, UCLA
Height: 6-1. Weight: 225.
Projected 40 Time: 4.56.
1/9/16: Perkins was a tough runner for UCLA over the past few seasons. He has a nice combination of strength and speed. As a junior in 2015, Perkins averaged 5.7 yards per carry for 1,343 yards with 14 touchdowns. He also had 30 catches for 242 yards and a score. As a sophomore, Perkins averaged 6.3 yards for 1,575 yards with nine touchdowns. He caught 26 passes for 201 yards with two scores.

C.J. Procise, RB, Notre Dame
Height: 6-0. Weight: 220.
Projected 40 Time: 4.50.
1/9/16: Procise has a nice burst to go along with having good size for a NFL running back. Procise and Will Fuller were the engine of the Notre Dame offense in 2015. Procise averaged 6.6 yards per carry for 1,032 yards with 11 touchdowns before injuries robbed him of a few games late in the year. He also had 24 receptions for 308 yards and a score.

Prior to 2015, Procise was a wide receiver and special teams leader. He had 29 receptions for 516 yards and two scores in 2014.

Alex Collins*, RB, Arkansas
Height: 5-11. Weight: 216.
Projected 40 Time: 4.57.
1/9/16: In 2015, Collins averaged 5.8 yards per carry on his way to 1,577 yards with 20 touchdowns. He also had 13 receptions for 95 yards through the air. Collins is a tough downhill runner who isn't overly fast or physical. In speaking with sources, they say that Collins is a good player, but not special, and that is why he's more of a second-day prospect.

Read more at http://walterfootball.com/draft2016RB.php#rjbul4DfrYS5sSZI.99

Reaction score
I'd like Henry in the 2nd or even Booker in the third.

Or trade for Christine Michael again. He looked decent yesterday.

Reaction score
Beyond running back we need to upgrade damn near everything. The secondary would be my next priority. What would be yours?

I think you are right about QB and RB. LB and secondary have got to be on the list too, I think.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Cream of the crop...............

Collins is my personal favorite down the line in all likely hood we don't select RB round 1.

State he isn't that fast or "special" but he's done nothing but produce and his reported 40 time is virtually identical to other top backs.

Ezekiel Elliott*, RB, Ohio State
Height: 6-0. Weight: 225.
Projected 40 Time: 4.54.
Projected Round (2016): 1-2.
1/9/16: Elliott averaged 6.3 yards per carry this season for 1,821 yards with 23 touchdowns. He had 27 receptions for 206 yards as well.

Elliott was tremendous with his burst, vision, balance and ability to rip off yards in chunks. He has the strength to run through tackles and pick up yards after contact with the burst to get to the second level. Elliott also did some nice blocking, which is valuable for pro evaluators. Elliott's first-step quickness is phenomenal, and he looks to be a future three-down starter in the NFL. Sources have said that Elliott has graded out as a first-rounder.

8/8/15: Elliot was the workhorse who carried the Buckeyes to last season's National Championship. He destroyed Wisconsin (20-220-2), Alabama (20-230-2) and Oregon (36-246-4) in the final three games to lead Ohio State. Elliot averaged 6.9 yards per carry in 2014 for 1,878 yards with 18 touchdowns. He had 28 receptions for 220 yards, too. Elliot showed speed, cutting ability and the ability to pick up yards after contact. He is a well-rounded back who does everything well.

Derrick Henry*, RB, Alabama
Height: 6-3. Weight: 241.
Projected 40 Time: 4.59.
Projected Round (2016): 1-3.
1/9/16: In 2015, Henry has averaged 5.7 yards per carry (359 carries) in 2015 for 2,061 yards with 25 touchdowns with 11 receptions for 91 yards. Henry has been a downhill bulldozer who has an underrated burst to get to the second level and break off long runs. He isn't an elusive back, and is a one-cut downhill runner, but he has shown surprising speed to run away from defensive backs when he breaks off long runs.

Not only has Henry's running been impressive this season, but the blitz protection will really excite scouts. His contributions in the passing game will help Henry's draft grade and give NFL teams the evidence that he can be a three-down starter as a pro.

In speaking with sources, some teams see him as a late first-rounder. Others grade him in the second or third round.

8/8/15: Henry averaged 5.8 yards per carry in 2014 for 990 yards with 11 touchdowns. He added five receptions for 133 yards, too. The 6-foot-3, 241-pounder could be in store for a huge season in 2015 with T.J. Yeldon and Amari Cooper in the NFL and Alabama starting a new quarterback. That has been the trend for the Crimson Tide in years past with players like Mark Ingram, Trent Richardson, Eddie Lacy and Yeldon taking over as the lead back after an older player moves on to the NFL.

Henry finished the 2013 season in impressive fashion, while T.J. Yeldon wasn't as dominant as many thought he would be. Henry showed what he is capable of when he racked up 382 yards on only 36 carries with three touchdowns in 2013. In the Sugar Bowl, Henry had 100 yards and a score on only eight carries.

Devontae Booker, RB, Utah
Height: 5-11. Weight: 203.
Projected 40 Time: 4.52.
1/9/16: Booker averaged 4.7 yards per carry this season for 1,261 yards with 11 touchdowns. He also snagged 37 receptions for 318 yards. His solid play displayed his versatility with quickness, toughness and elusiveness as a runner. Booker gained a lot of yards after contact in college, but that quality will be diminished when he faces NFL defenders.

8/8/15: Booker broke out in 2014 with a huge season as he carried the Utes' offense. Booker averaged 5.2 yards per carry for 1,512 yards with 10 touchdowns. He also showed receiving ability with 43 receptions and 306 yards and two scores.

Booker is a quick runner who is more physical than one would think. If he could add some weight for the NFL, that could help him to be a three-down runner. Booker was rumored to be entering the 2015 NFL Draft, but he wisely decided to return to Utah as he has only one season of major college football experience.

Paul Perkins*, RB, UCLA
Height: 6-1. Weight: 225.
Projected 40 Time: 4.56.
1/9/16: Perkins was a tough runner for UCLA over the past few seasons. He has a nice combination of strength and speed. As a junior in 2015, Perkins averaged 5.7 yards per carry for 1,343 yards with 14 touchdowns. He also had 30 catches for 242 yards and a score. As a sophomore, Perkins averaged 6.3 yards for 1,575 yards with nine touchdowns. He caught 26 passes for 201 yards with two scores.

C.J. Procise, RB, Notre Dame
Height: 6-0. Weight: 220.
Projected 40 Time: 4.50.
1/9/16: Procise has a nice burst to go along with having good size for a NFL running back. Procise and Will Fuller were the engine of the Notre Dame offense in 2015. Procise averaged 6.6 yards per carry for 1,032 yards with 11 touchdowns before injuries robbed him of a few games late in the year. He also had 24 receptions for 308 yards and a score.

Prior to 2015, Procise was a wide receiver and special teams leader. He had 29 receptions for 516 yards and two scores in 2014.

Alex Collins*, RB, Arkansas
Height: 5-11. Weight: 216.
Projected 40 Time: 4.57.
1/9/16: In 2015, Collins averaged 5.8 yards per carry on his way to 1,577 yards with 20 touchdowns. He also had 13 receptions for 95 yards through the air. Collins is a tough downhill runner who isn't overly fast or physical. In speaking with sources, they say that Collins is a good player, but not special, and that is why he's more of a second-day prospect.

Read more at http://walterfootball.com/draft2016RB.php#rjbul4DfrYS5sSZI.99

Derrick Henry sounds a little like Murray.

Whoever we pick up they need to be able to pick up the blitz and help protect Romo

Thx Mr Po for the research. Much appreciated

Reaction score
Derrick Henry sounds a little like Murray.

Whoever we pick up they need to be able to pick up the blitz and help protect Romo

Thx Mr Po for the research. Much appreciated

I thought the same thing about the Murray comparison watching the Henry highlights. He powers through the garbage and gets some. Murray was 4.41 though.

What happened to the run part of running back. None of these guys appear all that fast.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Unless a QB is available that without a doubt can be justifiably selected with the #4 pick, I'd prefer to see a trade down with a team in the top 10 for our 1st for their 1st & 2nd.

Then I'd like to see a RB, QB & ?? with the first and two second picks and hopefully end up free-rolling on the QB because of the xtra pick they got via trade

I don't want tunnel vision, caused by concern over the future of the QB position, to cause them to over-value a QB not deserving of that high of a draft pick

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Henry reminds me too much of Richardson. Both big bulls who are fast for how big they are but aren't shifty.

But then again, you could also say he's like a faster Lacy. GB seems to make him work pretty well when he's not downing cases of Oreos.

Reaction score
Henry reminds me too much of Richardson. Both big bulls who are fast for how big they are but aren't shifty.

That isn't a bad thing. Richardson failed because of a lack of effort. He didn't/doesn't love football and never really tried once he got paid.

At least, thats what I recall reading more than once.

Reaction score
We could go plan C and draft Hargreaves at 4 and move Byron Jones permanently to FS.

Hargreaves has definitely got all the tools to be the next big thing at CB, and Byron Jones is the only guy besides Scandrick in our secondary that I like. I think Jones would eventually be a pretty darn good Safety if he could move there and stay there. Yeah, I could get behind this plan no problem especially if both the good QBs are gone by pick 4.

Reaction score
McFadden had the sleepiest 1,000 since hambrick I wouldn't care if he's on the team I think we need a new starting rb and wr. Should be a really fun second round discussion this year 8=D

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
With our highest draft pick in 20 years I think we have no choice to take a swing at a QB. When are we ever likely to be sitting at #4 again? Hopefully not anytime soon.

Get the guy in here and let him sit and learn behind Romo while can. It may only be for one season before he has to play. Hell he might have to play next season.

I really don't care but we need to get one in here and start the process of letting him struggle with little to no help from his QB coach. Because we all know that our staff is incapable of bringing along talent especially at the QB position

Bluenoser

In the Rotation
Reaction score
Running Back FA
Matt Forte, 30
Chris Ivory, 27
Doug Martin, 26
Lamar Miller, 24
Alfred Morris, 27
Ronnie Hillman, 24
Bryce Brown, 24

I hope to sign a vet then take a RB somewhere after the 3rd round.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I think Doug Martin is a good fit for the Cowboys. Ideal size and style, still young enough to be be effective for the next three years, and the scouts/front office seems to like Boise State players. Plus, he has a cool nickname (Muscle Hamster) so Marinelli will love him.

He and McFadden would be a solid 1-2 punch, then let McFadden walk (free agent after next year) and draft a guy in 2017.

NoShame

UDFA
Reaction score
I prefer Lamar Miller if we go the FA route but don't want to overpay. Best bet is probably a draft pick.

Top Bottom