Reaction score
IRVING, Texas -- Jerry Jones has made no secret that the Dallas Cowboys need to address their quarterback position behind Tony Romo.

They will have a few months to determine how they want to go about it after Brandon Weeden, Matt Cassel and Kellen Moore combined to go 1-11 in Romo’s absence.

But the owner and general manager liked what he saw from Moore, so much so that he believes Moore could be a viable No. 2 quarterback.

“His background and (offensive coordinator Scott Linehan’s) background with him and these games, I think he’s got the potential to be a winning (backup),” Jones said. “I think he can ultimately win games in the NFL.”

Moore completed 33-of-48 passes for 435 yards with three touchdowns and two interceptions in Sunday’s 34-23 loss to the Washington Redskins. In three games of action, Moore had four touchdowns and six interceptions.

Moore did not play a snap in his first three-plus seasons in the NFL, but in his first home start he threw for 435 yards, which is quite a development. He became the fifth quarterback in team history to throw for 400 or more yards in a game. His total yards were the sixth-most in team history.

“I’m really appreciative of the opportunity,” Moore said. “A lot of guys wait in my situation and never get the chance to play in an NFL game. I got to play in a few down the stretch. I felt there were some good things that came out of it. Obviously at the end of the day we didn’t win games, so we have to find a way to do that.”

Moore is signed through 2016, so he should at least get a chance in training camp, no matter what the Cowboys do at the position behind Romo in the offseason. With the fourth overall pick, the Cowboys could look to draft a quarterback.

In the past they committed resources to paying veterans such as Brad Johnson, Jon Kitna and Kyle Orton to serve as Romo’s backup.

In the last two years, they opened up with Weeden, who was making the NFL minimum.

After a 1-11 record from the backups in 2015, Jones sounds as if he will operate differently at the spot in 2016.

“I think it’s the example that we should make our decisions off of, is the consequences and the impact of losing our starter in Romo,” Jones said. “I think this is a great one to put on the wall and say, ‘Now, burn that in your memory, burn that in your thinking when you start thinking about how important backup quarterback is.’”

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
If Kellen Moore is playing significant downs, we are a 4-12 team, or worse.

Reaction score
If Moore's ceiling is as a #2, he's clogging the pathway for Romo's successor.

The franchise needs to focus on identifying and acquiring young QBs who are seen as having starter potential. It wouldn't bother me a bit if the Cowboys drafted two QBs this year. QBs have a high failure rate. Might as well increase your chances by having two legitimate aspirants.

VTA

UDFA
Reaction score
:lol Typical Jerry; one day of stats and this jerk is ready to bet on him. Two games like that and he'll bring out the anointing oil.

Maybe Moore should hold out for a bigger contract.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
and I see Jerry as a viable GM. there, now we're both lying.

Reaction score
If Jerry sees Moore as a suitable backup, then he learned absolutely nothing this season.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
"did you really expect him to hurt the kid's feeeeelings?"

#cz

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
The franchise needs to focus on identifying and acquiring young QBs who are seen as having starter potential. It wouldn't bother me a bit if the Cowboys drafted two QBs this year. QBs have a high failure rate. Might as well increase your chances by having two legitimate aspirants.

You an I are in the same boat. I'd love to see us draft one early (1st or 2nd) and then spend another 6th or 7th rd pick on another guy.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
And that's why this team is in the fucking situation that it is in now.

He's so damn impulsive. ONE GAME. And he's sold. What an idiot.

That's what got him in trouble with this extension for Garrett. A smart and competent GM would have signed Garrett to a 2-year contract --- with the second year being the option. A competent GM would have shown more restraint in such a signing, especially the lone playoff appearance after three consecutive 8-8 seasons.

Top Bottom