dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
This is pretty interesting.

Ian Rapoport
✔ ‎@RapSheet
#Lions requested to interview #Cowboys assistant director of player personnel Will McClay for GM, source said. But he's decided to stay put.

Ian Rapoport Verified account 
‏@RapSheet For the #Cowboys, this is a clear win. Will McClay has worked with Stephen Jones to remake the organization's personnel & scouting depts.

Reaction score
Yeah, this is a no brainer....

First, I doubt the difference in pay is significant. Second, you don't have to worry about state taxes in Dallas. Third, you've got guaranteed job security as long as Jerry likes you. Finally... you don't have to live in the virtual third world country that is Detroit.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I think the job security thing is probably b/s. This isn't the first time his name has been mentioned for someone's GM job either.

Even if he went there and got canned, he would still be able to land somewhere in some other role or come back to Dallas.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I think the job security thing is probably b/s. This isn't the first time his name has been mentioned for someone's GM job either.
What do you mean it's BS? He sees Garrett getting an unconditional vote of confidence literally minutes after the worst season in 25 years. He sees Dave Campo still employed by the team after all these years. It's clear to everyone that if you're loyal to Jerry he'll be loyal to you.

It's not a comment on his worth as a talent evaluator. He seems okay there.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
What do you mean it's BS? He sees Garrett getting an unconditional vote of confidence literally minutes after the worst season in 25 years. He sees Dave Campo still employed by the team after all these years. It's clear to everyone that if you're loyal to Jerry he'll be loyal to you.

Campo is still employed here? I thought he was at Kansas.

Its possible that maybe he "just likes it here" but I think it would be extremely rare (probably non existent) that someone in this line of work wouldn't WANT to move up into one of the two or three most prominent roles within an organization. He seems to be well thought of, it isn't like this is the last job he could ever obtain. That's why I said it was b/s.

It's not a comment on his worth as a talent evaluator. He seems okay there.

Right, which is why I said even if he tried a GM gig somewhere and got canned, he'd find work pretty quick. Whether it was somewhere else or coming back here.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
JFC.

Regarding Will McClay, why go somewhere that you will actually be accountable for your personnel decisions?

Why not just stay here, laugh at Jerry's jokes and entertain Spalding on draft day?

Top Bottom