Reaction score
Did you ever like the guy? Buy into his potential? And if so, when did your opinion change?

For me, I had a lot of the same high hopes for him that a lot of ****** zoners still do. I wanted him to be the next long term Cowboys coach. Liked how he sounded in PC's. Liked the idea of him being home grown. Yadda yadda yadda.

I started having serious doubts during the 2012 season. Especially after our loss to Washington in the season finale.

I don't remember exactly when I realized he was just an idiot, but I'd guess it was probably our mismanaged Detroit game of 2013 (2nd half), and that opinion was cemented during the amazingly improbable holy shit did that really happen loss to Green Bay later that same year.

Reaction score
I had high hopes for him... suckered in by him going to school with Coach K. The end of game mismanagement early in his career really soured me on him, then the Green Bay game in 2013 was the final nail in the coffin.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
never believed in him. Hos was pimping him for HC long before Wade got canned, and since Hos is never right about anything ...

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Good thread.

Even I didn't always hate Garrett. I still remember waking up one morning and hearing on the Ticket that Jerry had hired him from the Dolphins. My exact thoughts were great, Jerry has finally been in this long enough now that can expand his circle of potential coaches and advisers past his old Arkansas-Oklahoma buddies who are more or less his peers -- the Lacewell/Butch Davis/Jim Donnan types. I knew Garrett was considered a smart guy and an up-and-coming coach so I thought this was a good thing. And that first year in 2007 Tony had a great year so everything seemed to be on track.

I started thinking he was a little squirrely in probably 2008 when everyone blamed Phillips for everything wrong with the team, even on offense, and Garrett never lifted a finger to say a word otherwise. In fact from some of the things being said in the media and some of the sources, like Laufenberg, I suspected he was feeding his media buddies info to take any heat off himself. That was when we heard all the rumors about how he would do things differently if he could, but he was too much of a loyal soldier to ever say anything. Then when Wade wanted to bring in Dan Reeves and that got scotched at the last second, from some things I heard that day I suspected it was Garrett who didn't want any "help" with his offense.

Started realizing he was a worm in 2010 when we lost to the Skins on opening day on that ridiculous play where Choice fumbled and Hall ran it back for a TD, and Garrett hid from the media to avoid discussing it. Then you had the frozen kicker 2011 Cards game where the media asked him why he let almost a minute tick off the clock without trying to get any closer and all he could say was, "I don't have a good answer for you on that." By the time 2012 came along and he did the same thing in Baltimore I was done with him. When we lost that shootout to the Broncos in 2013 and he threw Tony under the bus for that last INT, I was furious. That was when Garrett BFF Laufenberg even said he was changing his mind and now he didn't think this team could even win with Romo. Just shameful.

I know I've said this 100x before, but if he were just a lousy coach like a Campo, I wouldn't like it, but I wouldn't hate him for it. That would be more Jerry's fault. It's Garrett's constant shirking of blame, his arrogance, and his behind-the-scenes propping of himself that's really irritating. The guy is a weasel, despite the local media's claim that he's some prince of a human being.

TLDR - had nothing against him at first, got suspicious of him in 2008, realized he was a fraud in 2012-13. Thanks for letting me vent.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
what infuriated me was that Jerry immediately signed Garrett to an extension without interviewing other candidates .. like Harbaugh.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
what infuriated me was that Jerry immediately signed Garrett to an extension without interviewing other candidates .. like Harbaugh.

We all knew Jerry had no intention of actually identifying the best coach possible. Garrett was the plan all along, going back to 2007 or earlier.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure most all people gave him the benefit of the doubt, and lots of well wishes and positive thoughts initally.

But, he promptly pissed those away and only the abject cheerleader morons are left supporting him.

He's become a definite dividing line between somewhat objective, critical thinking fans - and the imbeciles.

Reaction score
And that first year in 2007 Tony had a great year so everything seemed to be on track.

I remember seeing something about the Giants - probably the Americas Game show they did profiling Super Bowl winners. Anyways, they had three Giants defenders (no clue who) talking and they said they knew they could win it all when they beat us in the divisional round. Said something like no one scared them after that. Because they studied our offense endlessly, and we had no tendencies. Think about that for a minute.... that's really incredible for a well coached defense to say that.

Having heard that, I bought into the Garrett is an offensive genius hype. Come to find out later that Sporano was very likely responsible for that. Especially when you look at how our offense has been basically every other year since... very predictable, very bland, very much dependent on my guy lining up against you and winning the match up.

Then when Wade wanted to bring in Dan Reeves and that got scotched at the last second, from some things I heard that day I suspected it was Garrett who didn't want any "help" with his offense.

I remember that, and how it was being reported as a done deal. Then it was torpedoed at the last minute. I was pissed about that. And Reeves was too. IIRC he made it known to the media that he wasn't happy how that went down.

Started realizing he was a worm in 2010 when we lost to the Skins on opening day on that ridiculous play where Choice fumbled and Hall ran it back for a TD, and Garrett hid from the media to avoid discussing it.

To this day, nothing about that play call at that time in the game made any ounce of sense. Just terrible.

But I'm also foolish because it was after that year when I was probably as big a Garrett supporter as I've ever been. I lived in SE VA at that time, and don't ask why but a local sports talk radio station had a two hour afternoon show hosted by Giants fans. Guess it was good for traffic because a lot of Redskins fans called in and there was a lot of trash talk, etc. That said, I remember calling in before the 2011 season because the hosts were asking fans to call in and discuss why they were optimistic about their teams chances. I idiotically called in and pointed to our 5-3 record after Wades ouster, and how it would've been 6-2 had Roy not fumbled against New Orleans. I was saying that Garrett was a better coach than Wade. :facepalm

Then you had the frozen kicker 2011 Cards game where the media asked him why he let almost a minute tick off the clock without trying to get any closer and all he could say was, "I don't have a good answer for you on that." By the time 2012 came along and he did the same thing in Baltimore I was done with him.

Why do I not remember him icing the kicker against Baltimore?

cml750

Facepalm
Reaction score
I knew Wade wasn't the answer and hoped Garrett was but it was on plain display after his first full season he was not the answer when he cost us at least two games with beyond idiotic game/ clock management mistakes. Then he repeated the same mistakes three seasons in a row. He only had some success last year when Jerry stripped him of all power except walk around head coach duties. This year he couldn't win a single game with a backup except Desean Jackson basically giving us a game with stupidity. The guy is a disgrace to this franchise.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Mid - on phone so I won't quote... He didn't ice ice Bailey in Baltimore, but he did piss away like 30 seconds to settle for a 50 yard FG in the cold and wind at the very end. Bailey of course missed and we lost. We had plenty of time to get 7-8 yards or more and greatly increase the odds, but we didn't even try.

Almost exactly the same thing he did in Arizona, which to me was a lot worse than icing Bailey. Also showed he didn't learn anything from the earlier experience.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Also, lol at that first bb link. One, half those posters are gone or benched. Two, UVA was all over it with Garrett truth everywhere.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
Also, lol at that first bb link. One, half those posters are gone or benched. Two, UVA was all over it with Garrett truth everywhere.

yeah, it was fun perusing that thread and seeing names I haven't thought of in years. and no coincidence that the Garrett critics are now banished. oh, and sultanofsix deserves a tire iron to his face.

bvhawkeye

In the Rotation
Reaction score
When the team seemed to come together for him when he took over for Phillips I bought into him.

Watching this team flounder in late game situations time after time on both offense and defense and the team smiling and laughing after tough losses like no one on the team really cares if they win or not threw me over the edge.

But the idiots on the Ranch Report still compare him to God

boozeman

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Never liked him.

I thought he was brought in as Jones' boy and if the backlash wouldn't have been bad enough to hire him immediately as head coach, he would have been our fucking Lane Kiffin.

He basically knifed Phillips in the back and nobody ever calls him out on it.

He's a complete fraud, getting by on slime and his family name. Tragic thing, Jim Garrett was a fucking idiot too.

Reaction score
Tragic thing, Jim Garrett was a fucking idiot too.

Is still, right? He hasn't passed, has he?

I remember him pimping that Todd Lowber kid years ago. Just raving about him... how you "have to find a way" to keep him.

Yeah.... gfy basically everyone last named Garrett.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
in 2007, Red was a candidate for the job along with Wade, but prescient bbgun smelled trouble:

Error | Dallas Cowboys Forum - CowboysZone.com

shame on Bob:

in 2009, the Broncos were sniffing around Red, instilling panic in dbair:

That's funny, especially this quote from "Aikbach"
The only Ivy League headcoach in the NFL would be our very own favorite backup quarterback turned HC, Jason Garrett.

His resume: Princeton Class of 1991
Dallas Cowboy Quarterback 1992-1999
3 Super Bowl Rings
It's only two, numbskull. Ginger wasn't on the team in '92.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I was ambivalent to him in the very beginning. I liked the story of him being a former Cowboys' QB, and now Cowboys' OC --- HC in training. Both Troy and Moose vouched for him --- Aikman was ecstatic over him. That was good enough for me. I remember his first preseason game as an OC, and Tyson Thompson had rushed for a TD and came back to the bench, and Garrett was just crazy --- pretty much knocked Tyson down. Showed a lot of energy. I liked that.

What soured me on him was Wade's last season, and it was the first game of the season --- Sunday night, against the Redskins. We had that bum Alex Barron, who kept holding Orakpo. But what happened in that game.

4 seconds left in the first half. Cowboys down 3-0. Cowboys on their own 30-yard line --- 70-yards to a TD. What do you or anyone else with an ion of brain matter does in that situation? You take a knee. You don't run a play. But that's exactly Garrett did. A toss to Choice, who then fumbles, and Hall scoops it up and returns it for a TD. It was the difference maker, as the Cowboys ended up losing. That whole entire game, Garret's playcalling made no sense.

But what sealed it for me, was after Wade was fired, and Garrett was made interim HC. The game was against the Patriots in New England. Less than 3 minuted left in the game. Cowboys have the ball and are up by 3 points (FG). Garrett calls three straight run plays right into the teeth of the Patriots defense --- right at Vince Wilfork in fact. Run plays get stuffed, punt. Belicek gets the ball back, and Brady marches it down the field for a TD. Garrett thought that he could sit on those 3 points against Belicek in New England, with little less than 3 minutes left. We ended up losing the game of course.

Top Bottom