Reaction score
Bob Sturm: Why I just don't love the fit of Jason Garrett coaching the Dallas Cowboys
By Bob Sturm, Special contributor

Special contributor Bob Sturm recently held a chat to talk all things Dallas Cowboys. Here are some highlights:

Question: Jerry says it's next season but in your opinion realistically when will Cowboys really be ready to compete for a championship?

Bob Sturm: In the NFL, it doesn't take long to get close and it doesn't take long to give it all back. It is a league that is so closely packed together and the margins are so small that we can't lose sight of how quick turnarounds happen or success stories fall apart. I don't see any empires being built in this division that the Cowboys can't deal with in 2016. In the NFC, Green Bay and Seattle are in weaker positions than 2014, but they will no doubt take bold moves in the offseason. Minnesota, Arizona, and Carolina are all pushing forward, but are we to believe that those teams are miles ahead of Dallas when both teams are at full strength? I am not suggesting a 12-4 season next year, but look at the rosters and the talent and you can feel like the Cowboys are in a strong spot if the QB is right.

Question: Is it time for Jason Garrett to go?

Bob Sturm: I think his contract buys him a mulligan year, but if Jerry wanted to go bold, I would support him. I think Garrett is never going to change. He is a good coach, but I want him to be great. His scheme is tired, but his disposition and approach to both the game and the situations that require some authority (Dez tirade in locker room, Hardy throws fit on sideline) require more of an iron fist. I just don't love the fit. Do I think it is time? That is tough to say, but 5 years, $30 million has bought him 2016, I am sure.

Question: What would Dez have signed for this offseason if he had agreed to sign to the franchise tag?

Bob Sturm: A brilliant question. But, I cannot imagine what that number would be after his 2015. I don't have an answer, but that is now going to be in my head for the day.

Reaction score
I agree with Sturm regarding Garrett, that he isn't a good fit and for the flaws he pointed out. But I don't see any evidence of Garrett even being a "good coach."

By Sturms own admission, Garretts schemes are flawed. And he's not a disciplinarian. So..... uh, what makes him a good coach again???

SixisBetter

Anywhere on the line.
Reaction score
By Sturms own admission, Garretts schemes are flawed. And he's not a disciplinarian. So..... uh, what makes him a good coach again???

+A million
I keep reading opinions on Howdy from people like Sturm,who I'll at least listen to.
They are all saying,"Garrett doesn't do much right,but he's a good coach."
Please be specific people,I ain't seeing it.
Also,he deserves another year because of his big contract?
By that logic Miles Austin should still be here.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I agree with Sturm regarding Garrett, that he isn't a good fit and for the flaws he pointed out. But I don't see any evidence of Garrett even being a "good coach."

Sturm was fully on the Garrett bandwagon the last few years. He's just having a little trouble completely letting go.

Reaction score
I assume last year's success plays into perceptions. The Cowboys had a good year and Garrett was the head coach when it happened.

Reaction score
The part that Jerry doesn't understand is that when you have a predictable scheme and then that predictable scheme also reduces very quickly to pass plays that requires athletes that Dallas does not have, then Romo is at risk on every play. Running the ball and playing the game to the first down without a lot of route development preserves Romo. Jason never apologized for the year that Romo had to throw the ball 648 times. He was at risk on every play and he took a beating. Jerry is more loyal to Romo than Garrett I imagine but Jerry is snowed by Jason's constant explanations and optimism, and probably thinks that Romo can't change schemes now.

It's just tragic.

The worst is when Linehan is saying that the playbook had to be reduced and minimized because of the players they had this year. That's like saying that a restaurant only has a menu for chicken and turkey so when the team has an abundance of steak and hamburger, there's just nothing a cook can do to the menu except reduce things down to how they can get certain beef dishes to taste or appear like chicken.

Change the menu.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Bob Sturm said:
I think his contract buys him a mulligan year, but if Jerry wanted to go bold, I would support him. I think Garrett is never going to change. He is a good coach, but I want him to be great.

A good coach doesn't go 8-8 three consecutive years in a row, by losing the last game of the season in which if they just won... they're in. A good coach doesn't come up short like that in this weak-ass division, and with this roster.

A good coach doesn't lose 7 straight games just because they're starting QB went down.

A good coach doesn't throw players and his assistants under the bus.

A good coach doesn't get out-coached every Sunday.

The problem is Strum that you and many others thought Garrett was a good coach, but he was quickly exposed when Romo went down.

Garrett;s not even a bad coach. Because if he were, that would be an improvement over what he is right now.

Bob Sturm said:
His scheme is tired.

THIS. This is the first time someone in the media has mentioned this, even though it's the most glaringly obvious defect of Garrett.

And the scheme is not tired... it's comatose.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Bob Sturm: Why I just don't love the fit of Jason Garrett coaching the Dallas...

It's the clapping guys...
The clapping!

Just look at film from the past of some of the greatest coaches of all time. They all clapped relentlessly. Even when their team blew a play/assignment/dropped a pass/threw an INT

ALL the great coaches clapped for no reason

Oh wait a sec, that's only our vary own HC Garret that will clap when his own team gets beat or screws up

So never mind, I have no idea what makes Garret a good coach

Don't worry guys we will be back to our winning ways next season and get back to the Jason Garret norm of .500 or in other words his usual 8-8 seasons

Out of his 87 games coached he is 45-42. Soon to be 45-43. He currently stands at .517 just barely above .500

That makes for a great coach right?

Last edited:

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Don't worry guys we will be back to our winning ways next season and get back to the Jason Garret norm of .500 or in other words his usual 8-8 seasons
Optimistic at best.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Optimistic at best.

That's assuming Romo stays healthy for most of the season. There are two main reasons we had a decent season in 2014.

First everyone for the most part stayed healthy. No major injuries other than Lee out for the season.

Second all three of our marquee players had career best seasons. Romo in contention for league MVP. Dez led the league in TD's and Murray had his 1845 yard season.

Without those three playing at their best we will never be better than .500

Jason got lucky in 2014 and everything seemed to go his way.

Now that the luck has worn off the shiny new penny it's back to mediocrity

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
That's assuming Romo stays healthy for most of the season.
Stop. Think.

We had Romo healthy for three - count them three, 8-8 campaigns in a row.

So saying we will get back to 8-8 IS optimistic, at best.

Reaction score
Bob should tread cautiously. He is sure to become an unperson at certain Cowboys forums if he keeps this up.

Reaction score
Optimistic at best.

I agree. Jerry has already decreed that he is all in for another year of this shit. Most of the players are just cashing checks, and have long since tuned out the Ginger, and as such I don't see but maybe 5 wins next year. Maybe less than that with how rotten the culture of the organization really is.

Top Bottom