Reaction score
Dec 31

Giants coach Tom Coughlin said he hasn’t spoken to John Mara about his future, but that talk is surely coming very soon. Because according to a team source there have already been several high-level discussions in the Giants’ front office about Coughlin’s future this week, Ralph Vacchiano of the New York Daily News reports.

And pressure is building for Mara to make the coaching change he never wanted to make.

It’s not known yet if a final decision has been made, but there are several people in the Giants’ front office who believe a change is necessary, according to a team source, and it is believed that co-owner Steve Tisch favors a change, too. Most people inside the organization believe Mara will eventually agree, if he hasn’t already.

Coughlin, though, made it clear that he had no interest in discussing that end, or in learning his fate before the Giants’ season finale. His focus, he said, was only on beating the Philadelphia Eagles on Sunday.

“Basically, I said (to the players), ‘Don’t worry about me or my situation,’” Coughlin said. “‘Let’s prepare ourselves to play an outstanding football game and try to win a game against the Philadelphia Eagle team.’ Hopefully, when you ask those questions, they will say, ‘We are focusing on preparing for the Philadelphia Eagles’ and leave it at that.”

Some of them did, but over the last few days, as the firing of the 69-year-old Coughlin has seemed to grow inevitable, many of his players have spoken out in defense of their coach. Coughlin told them “it’s not fair” that they feel the need to stick up for him. He added, “I appreciate the sentiments, but that’s not where I want them focused this week.”

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Won 2 Super Bowls. Team undecided on whether to keep him after disappointing seasons.

Won 1 playoff game in 5 years. Team sticks by Garrett.

Why do I root for this team?

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Won 2 Super Bowls. Team undecided on whether to keep him after disappointing seasons.

Won 1 playoff game in 5 years. Team sticks by Garrett.

Why do I root for this team?
In Philly, division championships and winning seasons 2 out of 3 years get you fired.

In Dallas, division championships and winning seasons 1 out of 5 years get you cheerfully still employed.

SixisBetter

Anywhere on the line.
Reaction score
I would say Coughlin looks tired and disgusted.
But Coughlin usually looks like that.
This is nothing but wild speculation on my part,but with two Lombardis and the above noted lack of talent,I think Coughlin gets another lap around the track if he wants it.

Reaction score
This is nothing but wild speculation on my part,but with two Lombardis and the above noted lack of talent,I think Coughlin gets another lap around the track if he wants it.

I'm so glad you clarified that you were just speculating, because I would've thought you worked for the Giants organization otherwise.

SixisBetter

Anywhere on the line.
Reaction score
I'm so glad you clarified that you were just speculating, because I would've thought you worked for the Giants organization otherwise.

Well,that's why I did it,otherwise I get email from Sdogo and Couchscout,dam phone blows up,etc.
Just a pain the ass if I don't clarify.

Reaction score
Rumors have been swirling about coach Tom Coughlin's future with the New York Giants.

Coughlin has faced questions about his future for days now. But on Thursday, he was presented with a new query: Does he want to come back next season?

It was a yes or no question. And Coughlin did not answer with either, James Kratch of the Newark Star-Ledger reports.

"Do I want to come back, I don't think that's a great question right now," Coughlin said. "What I want to do, is win a game on Sunday. That's the bottom line for this group right now."

"I always have the competitive spirit," he continued. "Sometimes it takes me a day or two to figure it all out when it's over. But right now, let's stick with the game and let's go win a football game."

Top Bottom